Gülen’s lawyer denies any link with bugging probe suspect

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: June 18, 2014

ISTANBUL

 

Fethullah Gülen‘s lawyer has denied that the Turkish Islamic scholar has any links with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s former chief bodyguard, who was detained in an investigation into covert listening devices found in the prime minister’s office in 2012.

The lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, said that pro-government circles are disseminating the slanderous claims as part of an anti-Hizmet movement propaganda campaign.

Albayrak released a written statement on responding to claims in media outlets close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government suggesting that Gülen was linked to the detained bodyguard, saying the stories are run with juxtaposed photographs of the men. Calling the reports slander, Albayrak said: “A group of media outlets that declared my client Fethullah Gülen guilty without a trial months ago continue their slander over the bugging investigation of June 17, 2014. The attempts to link a team of Prime Ministry bodyguards — one of the most prestigious units of the state — with my client is Wednesday either lawful nor ethical.”

Albayrak also said that attempts to link the bodyguard with Gülen are irresponsible and part of an anti-Hizmet movement propaganda campaign being conducted over the last seven months, adding that his client will exercise all his legal rights against the media outlets that reported baseless slander.

The bugging investigation entered a new phase on Tuesday as police acting on orders from prosecutor Duran Çetin launched a series of raids in several provinces, including İstanbul, Ankara, Yozgat, Karabük and Diyarbakır. Arrest warrants were issued for 12 suspects, but police detained 11 in the operation as one of the suspects, identified as Serhat D., was abroad at the time, the Hürriyet daily reported on Tuesday. Turkish media outlets said that among the detainees are a senior police chief, M.Y., and the former chief bodyguard of the prime minister, Z.B.

The detainees were taken to hospitals for medical examinations on Wednesday and then to the Ankara Police Department for questioning.

Holding a press conference in Parliament on Wednesday, Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) parliamentary group deputy chairman Oktay Vural said the Tuesday detentions were part of the bugging investigation. “We are facing a strange situation. First, they couldn’t find a bugging device in the beginning. They planted the bugging devices and then launched an operation so the devices could be found. … They have been trying to create a perception. How can it be possible for those who cannot even ensure their own safety to ensure our [the public’s] safety?”

Erdoğan claimed in December 2012 that four bugging devices had been discovered in the offices of his Subayevleri home and at a Prime Ministry building in Ankara, without giving details about how the devices had been found but promising that an investigation would be launched.

The long-running investigation has so far produced few results, and given the lingering concerns of critics who are weary of government interference in the judicial process, it is bound to end

Source: Todays Zaman , June 18, 2014


Related News

Gülen movement makes Turkey more noticeable

FATİH VURAL/TUĞBA KAPLAN, İSTANBUL A sociologist who has studied the faith-based Gülen movement of Turkey extensively has said the movement helps other countries in the world to become more aware of Turkey. Helen Rose Ebaugh, the author of “The Gülen Movement: A Sociological Analysis of a Civic Movement Rooted in Moderate Islam,” was in İstanbul […]

Opposing the majority

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said his ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) will not back down from its decision to close prep schools, despite ongoing discussion on the matter and deepening polarization over the government’s move. Only 21 percent of people polled support the government’s move, according to a survey conducted by Mak Danışmanlık (Mak Consultancy).

UN representative found evidence of torture in Turkish prisons

The majority of the abuse occurred during the times of arrest and interrogation, his report noted, adding that most of those who have been subjected to torture have not filed complaints “for fear of retaliation against them and their families and because of their distrust in the independence of the prosecution and the judiciary.

Yamanlar College student wins gold medal in int’l computer project competition

Mustafa Ege Şeker, a student of Yamanlar College in İzmir, has won a gold medal with a computer project he made for the 14th InfoMatrix International Computer Project Competition.

Turkish Olympiad most effective promotion for Turkey, says FM

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has praised the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language, as the “most effective” instrument for promoting Turkey, while receiving students visiting Turkey as part of the Olympiad.   Davutoğlu said he has been a fan of the Turkish Olympiads for a long time, noting that […]

GYV gathers politicians, diplomats at iftar dinner in Turkish capital

“Ramadan is a time of compassion and mercy. In these blessed days, when patience and tolerance prevail, we once more remember love, peace, modesty, cooperation and living for others,” Gülen’s message said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fighting poverty, ignorance and disunity in Ghana; the TUDEC experience

Fethullah Gülen’s Condemnation of the New Year’s Eve Terrorist Attack in Istanbul Nightclub

Zaman Media Group receives 5 awards from WAN-IFRA

Gülen’s ideas address the entire world

Terrorist Bahoz Erdal calls on families to protect their children from the Gulen Movement!

Why Erdogan Is Soft On ISIS

Pilot who flew Erdoğan on coup night fired from Turkish Airlines over Gülen links

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News