Islamic scholar Gülen criticizes Turkish gov’t response to Gezi protests

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: March 20, 2014

PENNSYLVANIA

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has criticized the Turkish government for a police crackdown on protesters during last year’s Gezi Park demonstrations in which a number of people were killed.

“The people voiced democratic demands [during the Gezi Park protests] and, initially, there were innocent protests. These protests could have been tolerated. Officials could have visited the protesters and learned about their demands. Instead, the protests were violently suppressed. Is the shopping center that was to be built there worth a single drop of blood?” said Gülen in his first such remarks about the Gezi Park protests in the fourth part of an interview with daily Zaman.

The Gezi Park protests started on May 2013 as a peaceful demonstration to prevent the construction of a shopping mall in Istanbul’s central Taksim Square and turned into massive protests across the country with the police crackdown.

“Naturally, pressure led to violence and a local issue turned into a national security issue. And the evil networks which were waiting for an opportunity to stir up chaos stepped onto the stage, and we were very concerned at that time,” said Gülen, while denying claims that his movement masterminded the protests.

He urged the importance of toleration and diversity in the society. “We must refrain from treating our differing ideologies and diverse identities as reasons to quarrel or engage in conflict. Everyone must respect diversity. Freedom of speech and expression cannot be restricted. While the views of the majority certainly deserve respect, the views of minority groups should be treated with the same level of respect as well. If you suppress the masses, this will cause friction along social fault lines. And this is such a big risk that no political party can [do that] for whatever political gain,” said Gülen, adding that the government failed to adopt such a view during the Gezi Park protests.

Speaking about the ongoing Kurdish peace process, Gülen said fundamental rights and freedoms “should not be seen or used as a card in the bargaining.”

“At once we must raise teachers who are capable of teaching in Kurdish. This is not something that can be done upon demands from the public. The state must take the first step. In taking this step, we must refrain from words, attitudes and behavior that may give the impression that we are doing this as a favor,” he added.

Gülen also said he had heard of Turkish officials’ efforts to “undermine Turkish schools abroad” which are run by his movement in many countries across the world.

“Unfortunately, this appetite for destruction pushes all fair limits. These schools were established through the great self-sacrifice of the people of Anatolia,” he said.

People from all segments of Turkish society and from all political parties, including the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), have visited some of these schools in the past, said Gülen. “I have not heard even one person say, ‘These schools are harmful, and they should be shut down.’ No rational or political argument or criterion can be employed to advocate the closure of these schools.”

The Turkish government and Gülen Movement are involved in a fierce rift which started late last year when Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan declared his decision to close down private prep schools, “dershanes,” many of which are run by the Gülen Movement. The rift became almost irreversible after Dec. 17, 2013, when a massive corruption and graft probe opened, targeting high-profile figures close to the government. Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of orchestrating the probe and a plot against the government since then.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , March 20, 2014


Related News

Mr. Erdogan’s Jaw-Dropping Hypocrisy

Tayyip Erdogan, has gall. He has jailed tens of thousands of people, shuttered more than 150 media companies and called a referendum in April to enlarge his powers. Yet when local authorities in Germany, for security reasons, barred two Turkish ministers from campaigning among Turks living in Germany, Mr. Erdogan exploded, accusing Germany of Nazi practices and knowing nothing about democracy.

Fatih, Yamanlar, Samanyolu schools win medals at science Olympiad

İstanbul’s private Fatih Science High School, Ankara’s private Samanyolu Science High School and İzmir’s private Yamanlar Science High School picked up several medals on Wednesday in the 20th National Science Olympiad and the 17th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools.

Fethullah Gulen and February 28th Military Coup

Nazli Ilicak, March 3, 2012 While February 28th is debated these days, a notion has been created as if Gulen was collaborating with “post modern coup.” In fact, Gulen in his interview on Channel-D on April 17,1997 asked Refahyol government to resign. However, these words were spoken in order to reduce the tension in the […]

What does Turkey deserve?

Once the remaining human capital exits Turkey, the country will be left to bigoted seculars and even more bigoted political Islamists. Given the shameful silence and support for the worst witch-hunt the country has ever witnessed, maybe this is what Turkey deserves: swaying between secular authoritarianism and popular Islamist dictatorship.

Purge-victim businessman sent back to prison a week after stomach cancer surgery: son

Hacı Boydak, a Kayseri-based Turkish businessman, has been put in solitary confinement only one week after he underwent a cancer surgery, according to his son.

A Case for Why Gulen Would Never Support a Coup

In his interview with the prominent French newspaper Le Monde, Gulen has called the July 15 events in Turkey a “terror coup.” As a man who has always condemned terrorism and violence in any shape or form, to which his life’s work is evidence, it is hard to believe that Gulen could have had the slightest connection to the coup.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Religion and war culture discussed in Vienna

Lawmakers from various countries call for better protection of female refugees

Parents slam Pak-Turk Schools possible handover to Maarif Foundation

Ekrem Dumanli: Turkey’s witch hunt against the media

Kimse Yok Mu delivers aid to people living in Turkey’s southeast

Gülen interview received high praise from intellectuals, NGOs, politicians

The ‘other’ interview

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News