AK Party gov’t behind anti-Hizmet declaration, leaked recordings allege


Date posted: March 19, 2014

İSTANBUL

A joint declaration by a number of civil society organizations to proclaim open support for the government during debates over the closure of dershanes (prep schools) was concocted by the advisors of the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some associations were forced to lend their support, according to a number of new leaked recordings.

 

The National Will Declaration was published in almost all Turkish newspapers on Dec. 5 of last year amidst heated debates over the transformation of the dershanes into ordinary schools — which some have viewed as a direct assault by the government on the Hizmet movement — to hail the government for its achievement in term of democratic steps it had taken, especially emphasizing the termination of the era of the Feb. 28, 1997 post-modern coup. The Hizmet movement runs a considerable number of prep schools across Turkey to help financially disadvantaged students perform better in high school and university examinations.

Investigative journalist Mehmet Baransu had claimed even before the publication of the declaration that the government was behind it and was compelling some organizations to announce their support. The recordings, uploaded onto YouTube on Tuesday evening by Twitter user “Haramzadeler” (Sons of thieves), could well have confirmed these rumors. The phone conversations were intercepted legally, a text in the video clip claims.

In the tapes, Erdoğan’s advisors Mustafa Varank and Aydın Ünal call representatives of some civil society organizations and religious communities to solicit their support for the declaration. In some recordings, they are even heard discussing pressurizing those who are reluctant to put their names and logos underneath the text.

In one phone conversation, Varank purportedly asks Nail Olpak, the chairman of the Independent Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (MÜSİAD) to lend support, but Olpak voices his reservations about the wisdom of publishing the declaration at a time when debates seemed to be fading away. It may reignite the controversies, he says to Varank, who responds that there won’t be any problems.

In another call, Varank talks to Selim Cerrah, the deputy chairman of the civil religious movement İlim Yayma Cemiyeti. He says that the purpose of this declaration is to isolate the Hizmet movement and to show that they lack popular support in their struggle against the government over the closure of the dershanes. The Hizmet had been defending the dershanes as private enterprises for the good of the community, claiming that closing them using legal means was an open breach of fundamental human rights.

In another voice recording, Aydın Ünal speaks with an unknown person. He is heard maligning the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH) and the Civil Servants’ Trade Union (Memur-Sen) for their reluctance to voice their support for the declaration. Ünal tells the man on the other end of the phone that they were “on the verge scratching them [the İHH] out” and that “their attitude is ‘queer’,” using a Turkish slang term for homosexuality. Ünal thought that the İHH was dragging its feet after finding the text a bit lenient and they want its tone to be even more tough. Memur-Sen’s reluctance was due to the fact that the debates were dying down and that such a declaration may reignite them. Ünal tells the other man that the Memur-Sen may be convinced to show their support if they are told that Erdoğan is personally behind the declaration.

A final set of recordings are allegedly between Erdoğan’s son Bilal and Fatih Saraç, deputy chairman of the Ciner Media Group. They discuss a fee of TL 26,000 for the publication of the declaration and Bilal asks Saraç to take care of it. Saraç says in response that there is no need to worry about it and that no cost will be incurred.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 19, 2014


Related News

Erdoğan’s image in the West

Similar to what Erdogan did during the Gezi events, he is falsely accusing the Hizmet movement of being the puppet of these Western, Judeo-Christian enemies. His attempts to shut down YouTube and Twitter are telling enough for the democratic world.

Whistleblower reveals wiretapping conspiracy to libel Hizmet

According to the letter, a special team was established at the Prime Ministry late last year to conduct psychological warfare, including producing disinformation and false evidence to implicate the Hizmet movement in criminal activity.

Political predictions for 2014

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is getting lonelier and this makes him more ill-tempered. There are two big risk areas for Erdoğan. One of them is the total war he declared against the Gülen movement for no apparent reason.

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

I see real patriotism in the Gülen movement

Serdar Turgut* 18 October 2011, Tuesday Patriotism, according to the ideology imposed on this country, was understood differently for me and people like me. In this approach, fighting against religious people was part of patriotism. Combating movements like the Gülen movement was imposed as a condition for patriotism. Many people believed these lies. When I […]

US lawmaker says Gülen should not be extradited, calls his movement strongest element against radical Islamists

United States (US) Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, released a statement on Monday, saying that the US should turn down the Turkish president’s demand of the extradition of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen as he could not be part of a coup attempt, calling his movement “strongest element in his society opposing radical Islamist terrorism.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Abuja hosts 2016 Int’l Festival of Language and Culture

Norwegian Christian leader: Islamophobia not just fear, includes hatred

A Genocide in the Making – Genocidal action stage by stage by the Turkish government against the Hizmet movement

Islamic scholar Gülen files libel case against PM Erdoğan

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen condemns Paris attacks in strongest terms

In Erdogan regime western-oriented intellectuals, bureaucrats, liberals, Kurds, civil society activists in mortal danger

U.S. Judge Tosses Suit Against Reclusive Muslim Cleric

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News