Top union: Closing prep schools to leave 60,000 jobless


Date posted: March 5, 2014

İSTANBUL

Turkey’s largest business confederation, the Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB), has said a government plan to shut down private exam preparatory schools (dershanes) will leave an estimated 60,000 teachers at these institutions jobless while causing financial losses to investors.

The government decided to close down the dershanes in November of last year, creating massive debate among the public. With their affordable fees, dershanes are regarded by middle or low-income families as an equalizer of educational opportunities. Although there has been a strong public reaction against the closure of these schools, the government insists on shutting them down.

A report released by TOBB on Tuesday said the government plan will see the closure of around 3,000 dershanes across Turkey, leaving 60,000 teachers without jobs. The report said the closures will also waste $1 billion of investment. “It is hardly possible to replace the quality education provided at dershanes with a better one in this government plan. … Families are being left with no option but to have their children receive private tuition, therefore contributing to unregistered economic activity,” the TOBB report said.

Parliament agreed on new legal regulations for education in February, including a plan to shut down the dershanes, which prepare students for competitive high school and university entrance exams. The regulations have drawn criticism from various circles, as they will force private investment out of the market for no solid reason. Many business unions have criticized Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) for placing an extra burden on private entrepreneurs as part of a plan to crack down on opposition to his government.

Observers have argued that the AK Party is targeting dershanes and schools that are close to the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen, whom Erdoğan accuses of plotting to overthrow his government. Gülen has dismissed these claims as baseless, while Erdoğan has failed to provide evidence to back his conspiracy theory. Many dershanes in Turkey are run by the Hizmet movement, especially in eastern and southeastern Anatolia, where the population is generally poorer than in the rest of the country.

Market experts have said the government bill was drafted without any consultation and that the closure of dershanes will pave the way for politicization and nepotism in state education.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 5, 2014


Related News

‘We will not learn how to struggle against corruption from you’

It has already been 10 days that Turkey has been shaking with the corruption scandal that has reshuffled the Cabinet and brought serious international consequences to the country, such as weakening the political position of Ankara in the neighborhood of Syria and Iran and strained ties with the US.

Under arrest for months, 62-year-old teacher dies of cancer in prison

Arrested for raising donations on behalf of a Gülen movement-linked charity, 62-year-old religion and ethics teacher Hüseyin Pembe passed away after his battle with cancer in prison on June 1.

Arrested Turkish TV chief writes an open letter from his jail cell

Hidayet Karaca, an executive with a leading Turkish TV network, has been in prison since 14 December last year on charges of leading a terrorist group. Karaca, general manager of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group, was arrested along with more than two dozen senior journalists and media executives. Most were soon released.

Brazilian senator impressed by Hizmet investments in education

Respected Brazilian senator and Professor Cristovam Buarque, well known for his dedication to education, told Sunday’s Zaman during a visit to İstanbul that he has been impressed by the investments of Turkish businessmen who are inspired by the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, in education even without an expectation of profit.

LDP leader says received ‘indecent proposal’ from pro-gov’t paper

“They said I would make the headline story of the newspaper if I agreed to speak to them about the existence and alleged activities of a parallel state. I rejected this indecent proposal. Let them keep their headlines and proposal,” the LDP leader said on Thursday, speaking to Today’s Zaman.

Two volunteers of Gülen Movement reportedly abducted after released by Azerbaijani Court

According to a report, Turkish citizens Ayhan Seferoğlu and Erdoğan Taylan were detained by Azeri police. However, an Azerbaijani court decided to release them. As their relatives were waiting Seferoğlu and Taylan to be free, they have reportedly been abducted by unidentified persons from the backdoor of the courthouse where they were tried.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan Delivers Ultimatum: Washington Has to Choose Between Gulen and Turkey

Jailed woman in hospital for delivery to be returned to jail with new-born

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

Gülen movement discussed at EP in light of recent political developments in Turkey

FM Davutoğlu says Turkish schools abroad play important representative role

Conference on Hizmet Movement to be held in Taipei

Turkish mob boss to gov’t: Why bother with diplomacy? We’ll kill Gülen, his followers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News