Gülen’s lawyer: Doctored tapes part of plans to finish off Hizmet movement


Date posted: February 19, 2014

ANKARA

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, released several recorded phone conversations of his client on Wednesday, saying they were illegally wiretapped in violation of individuals’ privacy and that some politicians are using them as an instrument in their shady plan to finish off the Hizmet movement.

His statement noted that the “dark corridors of Ankara will not be able to obtain anything other than a respect for the law and a love of serving humanity” from Gülen‘s conversations.

A batch of recordings of Gülen’s conversations with several people was leaked on Tuesday evening on social media through anonymous accounts. Albayrak argued that the recordings had been edited.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been using Gülen’s ordinary conversations as instruments in his smear campaign against the Hizmet (service) movement, a voluntary movement to promote interfaith dialogue and tolerance across the world and to invest in education.

Erdoğan has not refrained from strengthening his rhetoric against the movement with illegally wiretapped conversations while, at the same time, lashing out against the dissemination of legal recordings of his phone calls during a graft investigation, some of which even include him ordering a media manager to stop broadcasting anti-government content.

In addition to the fact that Gülen‘s conversations were wiretapped without a court order, the recordings do not contain any criminal elements, Albayrak asserted.

Albayrak said he had already filed a criminal complaint about previous wiretapped recordings and will follow the same procedure for the most recent case as well.

Albayrak stated that the illegal bugging of his client’s private conversations is a clear demonstration of Gülen being targeted by dirty plots. They also completely disregard the confidentiality of communication, as clearly defined in globally recognized texts like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) as well as in the Constitution, he claimed.

The illegal wiretappings clearly show that Gülen has been bugged systematically for at least six months, Albayrak asserted, adding that they continue unabated.

Albayrak said the illegal wiretapping of private conversations is punishable by up to five years’ imprisonment according to articles 132 and 133 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) and that some circles “shamelessly” continue to commit this serious crime.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 19, 2014


Related News

Crackdown on journalists leaves void in post-coup Turkey

That is down in large part to the gutting of Turkey’s independent press. More than 115 journalists have been imprisoned and hundreds more fired since the July 15th coup attempt, while 130 media outlets have been shuttered. That, in addition to the sacking of more than 1,000 media workers in the previous 12 months, has left crucial questions unanswered. Put simply, there is no one left – or willing – to overturn the stones on which the failed military takeover was built.

Arrested vet diagnosed with cancer, not allowed for treatment at hospital

Turkish veterinary doctor Harun Vural was diagnosed with cancer during his term under pre-trial detention however, the prosecutor in charge denies him permission to stay at hospital before an upcoming surgery.

Twitter user apologizes for Gülen ‘traitor’ insult, blames politicians

Nuray A., who called Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen a “traitor” in a Twitter post, told a court on Tuesday that she only used the expression after first hearing politicians use the word against Gülen, and apologized for imitating them.

Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal

METIN ARSLAN The Supreme Court of Appeals has upheld the acquittal of Fethullah Gülen, first issued by the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court. The 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals reached the decision unanimously, stating that there was no inconsistency in the ruling of the 11th High Criminal Court, adding that it […]

Turkish gov’t detains more than 70 women over their alleged financial support for jailed Gülen followers

The Turkish government detained more than 70 women on Wednesday evening in five provinces across Turkey as part of a investigation targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement. It was claimed that the detained women have been helping financially to the relatives of those who were jailed or escaped from the persecution of the Turkish government.

Why should education in Pakistan be held hostage to the politics of other countries, however brotherly?

If Pakistan does indeed give in to pressure from the Turkish government, the move will be ironic, given the number of madressahs currently operating in the country with established links to political, religious or denominational movements that have a more than suspected record of terrorism, violence and spurious religious indoctrination.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Say What? Ankara Mayor Blames Gulenists for Shaking Turkey With an Earthquake

Germany informs Gülen sympathizers about Turkish Intel surveillance

Turkish headmaster accused of Isis links met Malaysian PM, not fit profile of an Isis operative

Pak-Turk schools won’t close, says Education Minister

JWF statement on allegations against Hizmet movement

Pak-Turk Schools: A fate undecided

GYV hosts guests from Istanbul’s Armenian Patriarchate at Abraham’s table

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News