Oligarchic clique’s devious plans

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: January 31, 2014

İHSAN YILMAZ

As I have previously written in this column, when former Interior Minister Idris Naim Şahin resigned from his party, he said in his resignation letter, “When it comes to governing, it is understood that [the party] prefers the guidance of a small oligarchic clique comprising politicians and bureaucrats whose intentions are uncertain.”

Şahin, a longtime friend and political partner of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, insisted that “the government is run by a small oligarchy of elites in a way that excludes broad segments of the party constituency and the Turkish people.” This narrow oligarchic group is composed of a number of bureaucrats and young advisers. News portal rotahaber.com’s chief editor, Unal Tanık, has written that Erdoğan gave up on getting regular feedback from his party’s parliamentarians years ago, and that since 2013 even his ministers have begun to lament to their close associates that they don’t have access to Erdoğan. Tanık wrote that Erdoğan seems to be talking to only one of his ministers, his intelligence chief, and a few other bureaucrats and advisers.

It seems that this elite clique headed by Erdoğan is waging psychological warfare against the Hizmet movement, trying to present it as a terrorist organization. Erdoğan keeps referring to the movement as a terrorist organization that, acting on the orders of foreign powers, is trying to stage a coup against him. He even likened Hizmet volunteers to hashish-consuming assassins, the Hashashins (the so-called assassins of 12th-century Persia and Syria).

I am seriously concerned about four major — and devious — developments that may follow. First, Erdoğan and his oligarchic clique may arrange for a prosecutor to prepare a lawsuit against Hizmet on terrorism charges. The Yeni Şafak daily’s Cem Küçük, who seems to be very close to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), keeps writing that some academics, journalists, prosecutors and police officers who are allegedly affiliated with the Hizmet movement could be charged with both terrorism and spying charges. According to Küçük and some other pro-Erdoğan journalists, some prominent figures of the Zaman daily, Today’s Zaman, the Bugün daily, Samanyolu TV and the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), together with some academics (myself possibly included), may face charges of terrorism and spying. Küçük says that this “spy organization” steals national security information and gives it to foreign countries at GYV meetings.

Second, as my fellow columnist Emre Uslu has said, a fake assassination attempt on Erdoğan may be staged so the finger can be pointed at Hizmet. They can never prove these stupid allegations, but with fabricated evidence, etc., they can confuse the public and throw a smokescreen over the corruption investigations. In 1930, an assassination attempt on Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was staged, and he used this opportunity purge all his critics and potential rivals. Some of my readers will recall my mention of how a Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy told me just after the Gezi incidents that seeing Erdoğan so easily bend the truth about consuming alcohol and doing illicit things in a mosque, he was worried about such a terrible plan.

Third, as the same AKP deputy told me, there may be a fake coup attempt against the Erdoğan government that would make him a victim and a hero just before the elections and give him the opportunity to send all his critics to jail. Remember that Boris Yeltsin became a hero after this kind of coup attempt.

Fourth, there are rumors that this oligarchic clique is trying to turn the Hrant Dink assassination case upside down and accuse the Hizmet movement of plotting the deed. Until now, everyone, including the AKP, firmly believed that Ergenekon was working to convince international observers that the so-called Islamist alliance between the AKP and the Hizmet movement was putting pressure on non-Muslims in Turkey. According to the rumors, this clique will first peg the Dink assassination on some police officers and then try to link them to the movement.

The evidence revealed so far shows that the corruption cases are so strong and the amount of money involved so unbelievably large that Erdoğan and his clique may do everything they can to stop the investigations.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 31, 2014


Related News

Hizmet and March 30 elections: What happened? (I)

Erdoğan has rejected the evidence of corruption that has been substantiated or he has presented this proof as being part of a conspiracy. He promoted the idea that Israel and the US were external components of this conspiracy and that the Hizmet movement was the domestic component. Propaganda centers have worked to this end.

Erdoğan’s game plan for Hizmet

Erdogan may continue to demonize and even to try to criminalize the Hizmet movement in an effort to brainwash his people into believing that he is the only one who can save the nation. We will see if this brings him the additional votes he needs to be elected president.

Turkey’s largest religious publication group denied spot at Ramadan book fair

Turkey’s Directorate of Religious Affairs has refused to allocate an exhibit space at a Ramadan book fair to the country’s largest religious publication group over its affiliation with the Gülen movement.

Pakistan Today Editorial: The Turkish connection and Turkish schools

Surely nobody at the joint session really believed Mr Erdogan’s warning about the threat the so called Gullen Network presents Pakistan. No doubt the Turkish president really believes the Network – which ran schools here till just before his visit – is just as dangerous for Pakistan as al Qaeda, etc.

EU calls on Turkey to Investigate abduction cases targeting Gülen Movement

The European Union (EU) on Thursday said it was closely following developments in Turkey including the abductions of people from the Gülen movement, reminding Ankara of its responsibility to investigate these reported cases.

President Erdoğan envies the Hizmet according to prominent columnist

Subsequent to the corruption probe the AK Party had denied the charges, blaming the Hizmet movement accusing it of orchestrating the probe. “This is when the antagonizing rhetoric started,” according to Alkan. President Erdoğan has in fact openly vowed to bring down the movement and anyone it perceives as being affiliated with it.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s efforts in Somalia

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen decries domestic violence

Islamabad High Court: No plan to close Pak-Turk schools

Canadian Journal Interviews Erdogan’s Victims in Greece: Fleeing oppression in Turkey

TUSKON-led trade volume reaches $30 billion

Turkish Schools will Build Bridges between Nigeria and the World

Mr. Gülen’s felicitous advice on Kurdish issue, freedoms

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News