AK Party gov’t behind anti-Hizmet declaration, leaked recordings allege


Date posted: March 19, 2014

İSTANBUL

A joint declaration by a number of civil society organizations to proclaim open support for the government during debates over the closure of dershanes (prep schools) was concocted by the advisors of the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some associations were forced to lend their support, according to a number of new leaked recordings.

 

The National Will Declaration was published in almost all Turkish newspapers on Dec. 5 of last year amidst heated debates over the transformation of the dershanes into ordinary schools — which some have viewed as a direct assault by the government on the Hizmet movement — to hail the government for its achievement in term of democratic steps it had taken, especially emphasizing the termination of the era of the Feb. 28, 1997 post-modern coup. The Hizmet movement runs a considerable number of prep schools across Turkey to help financially disadvantaged students perform better in high school and university examinations.

Investigative journalist Mehmet Baransu had claimed even before the publication of the declaration that the government was behind it and was compelling some organizations to announce their support. The recordings, uploaded onto YouTube on Tuesday evening by Twitter user “Haramzadeler” (Sons of thieves), could well have confirmed these rumors. The phone conversations were intercepted legally, a text in the video clip claims.

In the tapes, Erdoğan’s advisors Mustafa Varank and Aydın Ünal call representatives of some civil society organizations and religious communities to solicit their support for the declaration. In some recordings, they are even heard discussing pressurizing those who are reluctant to put their names and logos underneath the text.

In one phone conversation, Varank purportedly asks Nail Olpak, the chairman of the Independent Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (MÜSİAD) to lend support, but Olpak voices his reservations about the wisdom of publishing the declaration at a time when debates seemed to be fading away. It may reignite the controversies, he says to Varank, who responds that there won’t be any problems.

In another call, Varank talks to Selim Cerrah, the deputy chairman of the civil religious movement İlim Yayma Cemiyeti. He says that the purpose of this declaration is to isolate the Hizmet movement and to show that they lack popular support in their struggle against the government over the closure of the dershanes. The Hizmet had been defending the dershanes as private enterprises for the good of the community, claiming that closing them using legal means was an open breach of fundamental human rights.

In another voice recording, Aydın Ünal speaks with an unknown person. He is heard maligning the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH) and the Civil Servants’ Trade Union (Memur-Sen) for their reluctance to voice their support for the declaration. Ünal tells the man on the other end of the phone that they were “on the verge scratching them [the İHH] out” and that “their attitude is ‘queer’,” using a Turkish slang term for homosexuality. Ünal thought that the İHH was dragging its feet after finding the text a bit lenient and they want its tone to be even more tough. Memur-Sen’s reluctance was due to the fact that the debates were dying down and that such a declaration may reignite them. Ünal tells the other man that the Memur-Sen may be convinced to show their support if they are told that Erdoğan is personally behind the declaration.

A final set of recordings are allegedly between Erdoğan’s son Bilal and Fatih Saraç, deputy chairman of the Ciner Media Group. They discuss a fee of TL 26,000 for the publication of the declaration and Bilal asks Saraç to take care of it. Saraç says in response that there is no need to worry about it and that no cost will be incurred.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 19, 2014


Related News

Massachusetts Judges Express Fears Over Arrests, Firings Of Judges In Turkey

Former Justice Robert Cordy is worried sick about the fate of the judges he helped train in Turkey and here in Boston. They have been fired, jailed, or gone missing. “It’s devastating,” he said. “I don’t think anything has ever devastated me more than seeing this happen to people that I have come to know, love, respect. It is just beyond the pale.”

Will Turkey’s assassinations reach America?

There is no longer any doubt that Turkey conducts operations in the United States against Turks and Kurds with whom Erdogan disagrees. That problem will likely get worse as Erdogan digs in his heels and demands the extradition of exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. While Turkish officials have turned over reams of papers detailing why Turkey believes Gülen is a malign influence, none of the evidence Turkey has provided actually implicates Gülen in the events of July 15.

‘Removal of Gülen’s books from NT shelves offends the public’

Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay has condemned a recent decision made by the new trustees of Kaynak Holding to have all copies of books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen removed from the shelves of NT bookstores across the country, saying that the “indecent” act of censorship offends the public.

Turkish Woman, Arrested During Husband’s Funeral, Separated From Son

Esra Celik whose husband died during medical surgery was arrested by the Turkish police during the funeral ceremony as part of the post-coup crackdown on government opponents.

Importance of Hizmet’s 11-article declaration

As expected, the 11-article declaration by the Journalists and Writers Foundation, of which Fethullah Gülen serves as honorary chair, has attracted attention. The follow-up debates show that this has been remarkably positive and appropriate to prevent disorder.

It is shame not to reopen Halki Greek Orthodox Seminary

Sometimes you need many pages to properly express a feeling or idea. Sometimes a sentence is enough to depict that dominant feeling or idea. This is the very feeling I personally have in the face of the debates concerning the reopening of Halki [Greek Orthodox] Seminary on the island of Heybeliada near İstanbul, which was closed down in 1971 by the interim regime formed in the wake of a military memorandum in Turkey. “Shame” is the only word I can find to describe this feeling.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Father says wife, 11-month-old son under arrest despite medical problems

Orphanage school principal: Accusing Kimse Yok Mu of terror endangers Kyrgyz orphans

Neither conservative nor democrat

Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links

PII Awards Law Enforcement in New Jersey

An Interview with Fethullah Gülen

Hizmet’s political stance: Speak the truth to power, no matter what the cost is

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News