TUSKON says systematic campaign of defamation is under way


Date posted: January 25, 2014

İSTANBUL

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists’ (TUSKON) has criticized what it said a systematic campaign of defamation against the business conglomolarete, stressing that its business activities that help contribute to Turkish economy should only be welcomed.

TUSKON said in a statement on Saturday that there are seven federations, 212 associations, 54,000 businessmen and more than 140,000 companies that are represented under its umbrella and that its founding goal is to help Turkish businessmen expand their trade to foreign markets.

TUSKON recalled that it estimates that more than $30 billion worth of trade deal was signed in the past eight years with the organization’s activities and that 70,000 businessmen, including 30,000 foreigners, participated in 19 “Turkey-World Trade Bridge” business forums since 2006. It added that it is a known fact that President Abdullah Gül as well as other state dignitories urged not only TUSKON members but also all other Turkish entreprenuers to invest in Africa.

It added that it is “absolutely normal” to meet with leading business circles and advise them about business opportunities in different parts of the world.

“We leave it to the conscience of the public to decide if these works should be criticized and turned into a defamation campaign or they deserve an applause,” TUSKON said in the statement.

The statement came a days after a voice recording surfaced on the social media, in which Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and TUSKON Secretary General Mustafa Günay discuss business opportunities in Uganda. Günay also mentioned about gifts sent from Uganda, which include pineapples. For days, government officials, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, publicly made fun of pineapples. Erdoğan once said “we will not allow a pineapple republic in Turkey,” in reference to the phone conversation between Günay and Gülen, which was illegally wiretapped.

TUSKON said in the statement that it is the job requirement of Günay to help Turkish businessmen, no matter if they are member of the business organization or not, build commercial relations with Uganda.

During the phone conversation, Günay tells Gülen about a tender to manage an oil refinery in Uganda and Gülen advises him to inform Turkish companies about the opportunity.

The statement said it is saddening to see the efforts of Günay to make Turkish companies win the oil refinery tender has become subject of unrelated debates instead of appreciation.

The statement said the issue about pineapples is part of Turkish culture of giving out gifts, adding that the organization rejects making fun of the issue.

TUSKON condemned in the statement the illegal wiretapping of phone conversation between Günay and Gülen as well as defamation and smear campaign based on these recordings.

It added that the TUSKON has already launched legal complaints against this smear campaign.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 25, 2014


Related News

Turkey’s New Anti-Americanism (NY Times Editorial)

The Turks need to be reminded that Mr. Gulen has a legal right to be in the United States, and that the Justice Department would have to go through a rigorous process before deciding whether he could be handed over, especially to a country where due process is increasingly unlikely and torture is reportedly used against detainees.

Abant Platform on Africa to convene on Friday

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL The 29th meeting of the Abant Platform, to focus on Africa, will be held from June 28-30 on Lake Abant in the province of Bolu. Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Secretary-General Hüseyin Hurmalı told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday that the Abant Platform had established a partnership earlier this year with the African Union, which […]

Lawyers, academics say ‘parallel state’ was invented to block graft probe

A total of 150 academics signed the manifesto, titled “Rule of law suspended.” The manifesto says the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government cannot ignore the corruption allegations just by making up claims of a “parallel state” — which has no meaning in political science or law — and placing the blame on the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, for its unlawful practices.

Rebecca Harms: Working in Gülen-linked educational institutions not a crime

Speaking during the general assembly of the European Parliament (EP) on Thursday, Harms said working in institutions such as schools or universities with links to the Gülen movement is not a crime and that, similarly, being critical of the government and being a critical journalist are not crimes.

Turkish Charities accelerate Ramadan aid efforts worldwide

Kimse Yok Mu has raised its Turkey target for this Ramadan and will distribute 178,300 food packages and set up iftar tents in 22 provinces in a bid to feed an estimated 636,000 people. Outside of Turkey the foundation intends to distribute 110,000 food packages to families in need in 103 countries and offer iftar meals to 500,000 people around the world.

Time for a reality check for ISNA conventioneers – coup attempt in Turkey

Time for a reality check. This weekend many ISNA conventioneers are attending “panels” in which the so-called “Turkish delegation” will continue to attempt to justify the immoral and thoroughly un-Islamic persecution of countless innocent Muslim men and women in Turkey and around the world. While these conventioneers politely applaud the representatives of a regime which is attempting to destroy the lives of many of their fellow Turkish American Muslims right here in the US, here is just one example of what’s happening back in Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Greek broadcaster praises contributions of Gülen movement

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

No return from democracy, Zaman editor Dumanlı says under detention

‘Nigerians and their leaders won’t fall for Erdogan’s harebrained gambit’

Prime minister’s inconsistencies raise eyebrows

Kimse Yok Mu extends a hand to Syrian refugees in Turkey

African queen promises to give support to Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News