17th TUSKON trade summit sees 25,000 B2B meetings

17th TUSKON trade summit (Photo: Zaman)
17th TUSKON trade summit (Photo: Zaman)


Date posted: November 30, 2012

The 17th edition of the Turkey-World Trade Bridge summit, organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), saw 1,160 foreign and 1,000 Turkish businesspeople discuss partnerships in an estimated 25,000 separate meetings on Thursday.

The first day of meetings at the event brought businesspeople from a number of sectors, including textile and machinery, in İstanbul. Investors had the opportunity to discuss deals with their counterparts from the Balkans, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Asia-Pacific.

Among deals struck at the summit were a construction project by a Jordanian contractor valued at $225 million and a $10 million textile-product sale to Moroccan firms.

Jordan’s Al-Jamal Trade agreed to build a housing project in Turkey valued at $225 million, company officials told reporters on Thursday at the TUSKON summit. Al-Jamal is expected to start the project in three months but did not provide details on its location. Company owner Hisham Al-Jamal said new investments — housing, depots and manufacturing facilities — could follow their first project in Turkey.

Moroccan New Pritting textile firm owner Mohammed Benjelou said a group of eight Moroccan firms agreed to buy Turkish textile products worth $10 million. “We have separately agreed to open an office in Turkey jointly with a local firm … We have been visiting different trade fairs, the latest was in China. I came here when I heard about the TUSKON event and I am happy to have done so,” he said.

Another foreign company that expressed interest in Turkish textile goods was Lesley Nkuna from South Africa. Masin Gitage Group of Companies representative Nkuna said it owned nine shopping malls in South Africa and sold textile goods, too. “We have decided to start selling Turkish textile products at these malls,” he said.

The summit ends today. The previous 16 summits saw more than 26,000 foreign and 40,000 Turkish businesspeople participate to create an estimated total trade volume of $26 billion, TUSKON President Rızanur Meral said on Wednesday.

Source: Today’s Zaman 29 November 2012


Related News

Turkey’s teachers, police officers join unskilled labor force after coup purge

Many public servants, including police officers and teachers, found themselves working at unskilled jobs in the labor market after being dismissed following decrees issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Decision to build road on school grounds nonsensical, say parents

Following the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and Güngören Municipality’s decision to build a road within the courtyard of a private school affiliated with the Hizmet movement this week, the school management made a statement on Friday, saying that the parents of students at the school find the decision nonsensical.

Autistic child injures self to express grief after father detained in Malaysia: mother

Ten-year-old autistic child of Ihsan Aslan, a Turkish businessman who was detained in Malaysia last week, has been physically harming himself to express his sadness, his mother Ainnurul Aisyah Yunos told press on May 8.

Turkey’s war on the press

Erdogan’s reckless behavior is hurting not only his legacy but also Turkey and its allies. Turkey’s image as a stable investment hub has been damaged. A politics of character assassination, polarization and suppression inevitably creates dangerous social stresses. An internally chaotic Turkey cannot be considered a reliable partner for the international community.

Criticism rains down on gov’t for insisting on closing prep schools

In the meantime, BDP Co-chairman Selahattin Demirtaş struck a similar tone to the prime minister regarding the prep schools’ closure, saying that prep courses must be shut down. Demirtaş said the closure is a political as well as commercial issue, casting doubts on the government’s desire but expressing his approval at shutting down prep schools.

Reassignments — new mobbing on massive scale by gov’t to silence dissent

According to commentators, the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party), through these reassignments, is not only putting pressure on those carrying out the graft probes but also sending a message to its critics in state positions that their fate will be no different from that of their reassigned colleagues if they do not desist from their criticism of the government.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ex-AK Party deputy Özdalga: Gov’t wants to make judiciary subordinate to executive power

Anatolia in Los Angeles

The [Gulen] movement was a shade

State Islam versus civic Islam

Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated

Why does Öcalan need to approach the Gülen movement?

Why Turkey wants to silence its academics

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News