The International Justice Conference Hailed A Major Success


Date posted: June 21, 2013

Prof. Manuel A. Knoll, from Department of Philosophy, Fatih University in partnership with the support of Abant Platform organized an international three day event regarding pluralism and conflict. Over 50 academicians from around the world got together for ‘Distributive Justice Beyond Rawls and Consensus’ Conference in Fatih University, Istanbul on June 6-8, 2013. Conference was attended by some of the well known scholars in their fields such as; Prof. Giovanni Giorgini, Bologna University, Prof. Harun Tepe, Hacettepe University, Prof. Ulrich Steinvorth, Hamburg University, and Prof. Jonathan Wolff, University College London.

Abant Platform believes strongly in engaging with intellectuals to contribute to the field of Justice. In today’s challenging environment in Turkey, it’s increasingly important for NGOs to partners with academia to work on justice to advance democracy and human rights. This conference featured distinguished speakers who discussed a variety of topics, ranging from conceptions of justice to social equality and severe disadvantage to pluralism and the idea of conflictual consensus.

First keynote speaker was the Vice President of Fatih University Fahrettin Gucin who welcomed the participants. Tolga Aksoy, Vice General Secretary of Abant Platform, informed guests about Journalists and Writers Foundations mission and its events. Prof. Manuel Knoll and Prof. Harun Tepe from Hacettepe University presented a paper on the historical background of the conception of Justice. Another keynote speaker Prof. Giovanni Giorgini presented a paper on ‘Imagination and Conflict: After Stuart Hampshire’ in the conference.

Source: AbantPlatform, 8 June 2013


Related News

Once They were Brothers – Bir Zamanlar Kardeştiler

Kanter himself has faced legitimate threats from Erdoğan’s government. In 2017, Kanter escaped Turkish agents in Indonesia while working at a basketball camp for his foundation. He was detained in Romania for several hours and Turkish authorities had already cancelled his passport, making him a stateless man. Eventually, he was able to return to the United States, but not without a Turkish arrest warrant and a four-year prison sentence.

Extraditing Gülen: A smart move for the PM?

In the latest salvo in his battle for his political life, the Turkish prime minister has started to threaten to bring U.S.-based scholar Fetullah Gülen back to Turkey to face a possible criminal case for his alleged role in what the premier called a “civilian coup plot” attempt. In legal terms, there has been no legal investigation or arrest warrant for Gülen.

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

The humanitarian aid group Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of being an armed terrorist organization, had been directed by the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), casting doubt on such claims.

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Many people watching the stunning events in Turkey believe that the coup attempt was nothing but a pure ‘theater.’ The leader of the coup was a pro-Erdogan General Mehmet Disli, brother of AKP deputy Saban Disli, who defines himself as Erdogan’s confidante. The poorly-planned coup attempt has started with the capture of Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge. […]

Don’t lose the plot

Turkey’s attempted coup shocked an already tense society. At least 240 people were killed, and the country narrowly averted a disastrous military takeover. The plot was led in part by followers of the Gulen movement, a secretive Muslim sect that runs a global network of schools, charities and businesses and has infiltrated the Turkish state. It is only natural that Turks should be determined to identify and punish the conspirators.

Pentagon Allies Jailed in Turkey Amid Coup Backlash, General Says

A top U.S. military commander said there was a persistent concern that the failed coup in Turkey – and the backlash by the Turkish government – would impair the Pentagon’s operations in the region.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Teacher who lost sanity under detention remains jail despite doctors’ reports

55-year-old leukemia patient says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son behind bars over Gülen links

Pro-gov’t columnist: Turkish state must assassinate Fethullah Gülen

Gülen’s Dialogue on Education: A Caravanserai of Ideas

Romania Refuses to Extradite Journalist to Turkey

Shahbaz lays foundation stone of Pak-Turk school

Hizmet university serves Iraqi students in Arbil

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News