Kidnappers demand N100m for Turkish school victims


Date posted: January 17, 2017

Robert Egbe and Oluwatoyin Adeleye

The abductors of eight pupils and workers of Nigerian Tulip International College (NTIC) have made a ransom demand of N100 million to free them, The Nation learnt yesterday.

It was gathered that the kidnappers contacted the husband of one of the victims early yesterday to make the demand.

The plea that the families did not have that amount of money was rejected by the kidnappers, it was learnt.

“The kidnappers called early this morning and demanded N100m. That is what they are insisting on for now, but the family cannot raise that amount.

“We are worried. We hope God will touch their heart to free all the victims. The police are also assuring us that they are on top of the situation,” a source close to the family said.

But the Ogun State Police Command denied knowledge of any contact with or discussion on ransom from the kidnappers.

Spokesman Abimbola Oyeyemi said the police were still doing all they could to rescue the victims.

He said: “We are not aware of that. We are not aware. We are doing our own job trying to get the victims rescued, so we are not aware of any discussion about ransom.”

Also yesterday, students of the college were sent home and academic activities suspended.

Vice Principal (Academic), Mr. Olayinka Aderoju, told The Nation that the school had been closed for this week, after which a Parents’ Teachers Association (PTA) meeting will be held and the reopening will be discussed.

He was hopeful that the victims would be returned safely.

Aderoju said: “For security reasons, we cannot divulge any information about the development yet. But we are doing our part and the security operatives are doing theirs, but we cannot say anything that can jeopardize the efforts. But we are hopeful of their early release and freedom. For now the school is observing a break in order to identify with those abducted students and staff. We cannot continue as though things are normal. In any case, we are hopeful that very soon there will be good result for us. For now, we have not decided how long the break will be but on Saturday we will hold a PTA meeting where we will review the situation and after that we will determine what to do but before then, we are hopeful.”

Parents and authorities of the school were thrown into panic at the weekend, when kidnappers dressed in military camouflage uniforms, stormed the school and whisked away three students, three female supervisors, one female cook and a female Turkish teacher.

Two of the abducted students were preparing for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) exam.

The VP called for government’s intervention to end the spate of kidnappings across the country, noting that the lives of innocent children were at risk.

“This shows that government has a big responsibility on its hands. This situation is getting out of hand and government has so much left to be done. Are they trying to tell people that their children are not safe anymore, even in their schools? I think they can do better in the area of security,” he said.

Source: The Nation , January 16, 2017


Related News

African Union Commission chair receives Gülen peace award

Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, the chairperson of the African Union Commission, was awarded the Fethullah Gülen Peace and dialogue Award during the eighth annual Ubuntu Lecture and Dialogue Awards ceremony, held in Johannesburg on Thursday evening.

2 Turkish teachers killed in Somali school bus attack

Two Turkish teachers working in Somalia have been killed along with 4 Somalis after a school bus was targeted. Four Turkish school children were wounded in the attack along with a Kenyan student according to preliminary reports.

Establishing a Culture of Coexistence and Mutual Understanding Conference convenes in Nigeria

A two day conference titled “Establishing a Culture of Coexistence and Mutual Understanding: Exploring Fethullah Gülen’s Thought and Action” got underway in Nigeria’s capital on Friday. Scholars from thirteen different countries have gathered for the conference at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja. The event has been organized by Abuja-based Ufuk Dialogue Foundation and The […]

German view of Hizmet Movement (1)

I remember the late, right-minded orientalist Annemarie Schimmel’s words saying, “The most attacked and least understood religion in the West is Islam.” Today, we come across a similar statement in a recently published scholarly report too. I’m referring to the report titled, “Überdehnt sich die Bewegung von Fethullah Gülen?” by Stiftung für Wissenschaftund Politik (SWP), which put the Hizmet Movement under a scholarly microscope.

Terrorist PKK targets Gulen movement’s schools in Hakkari

Schools opened by the Gülen movement, inspired by internationally respected Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen, in the eastern province of Hakkari are often threatened by the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), according to an interview by the T24 news portal. The first private school the Gülen movement in Hakkari was opened in 2007. There are currently 300 students at the school, Hatice Avcı College.

Does Pakistani law allow you to deport Turkish teachers, Nawaz Sharif?

The recent controversy that has emerged regarding the PakTurk school system is troubling to say the least. PakTurk schools started popping up all over Pakistan during last decade. Turkey has always carried a strong brand value in Pakistan and it is therefore not surprising that the school system ostensibly embodying the best of Pakistan and Turkey was an instantaneous hit with parents.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet, politics and political parties

GYV: PM’s discriminatory rhetoric undermines social peace

What’s Friendship Got to Do With [Mr. Gulen’s] Extradition?

Van NGOs: Calling Hizmet movement ‘virus’ and ‘hashhashin’ unnaceptable

Woman dismissed from job because she had surgery at hospital targeted by gov’t

A Permanent Kimse Yok Mu Mission to Be Launched in Jerusalem

Erdoğan officially declares his despotism

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News