Turkey to pay huge compensation for post-coup rights violations, main opposition says


Date posted: October 2, 2016

The main opposition party leader has said Turkey will pay a big price and an enormous amount of compensation for gross human rights violations caused by government decrees issued during a state of emergency declared after an abortive coup.

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu voiced criticism of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government for ruling the country by decree, which he said has victimized nearly a million people, causing agony and problems for ordinary citizens.

He underlined that the CHP is against emergency rule, the main cause of the suffering and human rights violations.

“They take the suspect hostage, and even regard his wife as a criminal. In addition, a large payment is demanded for legal representation of the detainees,” he said on Saturday. Most of them cannot afford to pay such money to lawyers, he added.

His comment came amid claims that most lawyers refuse to represent people who have been arrested in the post-coup crackdown or over ties to the Gülen movement, adding that those attorneys who are willing to represent the detainees ask too much money for their services.

“If you collectively punish large segments of society for the coup attempt, instead of investigating only the coup plotters, it will inflict deep wounds in the society,” the CHP leader said. 

He said some members of Eğitim-Sen, a union that represents the rights of teachers working for the Education Ministry, have either been suspended or dismissed. Kılıçdaroğlu argued that union membership is not a crime and warned that Turkey will be fined huge amounts of money when the those dismissed apply to the European Court of Human Rights.

He also compared the latest coup attempt and how the government handled the aftermath with previous coups he experienced. “I saw the March 12 [1971] and Sept. 12 [1980] coups, but I never saw such a picture like today. If journalists and writers are jailed, if university professors are dismissed, the impression of a counter-coup having taken place could take hold [among the people],” he said.

He also mentioned the health problems of some detainees, referring to veteran journalists, and said they were being denied access to their medications. “For what reason have you jailed these people?” he asked.

“They were detained before Eid al-Adha and were kept in custody during the holy Feast of the Sacrifice. It means the state [government] is taking revenge. This is not combatting the coup. The number of jailed journalists has now surpassed 110,” he said in sharp criticism of the government’s crackdown on the media.

The suffering of the families of the arrestees was also on the CHP leader’s agenda.

“You fire a man from his job, send him to prison, expel him from public housing, and when his wife wants to rent an apartment, nobody agrees to rent to her. And they also say, ‘We dismissed them and they will not able to work again with insurance.’ What will these people do? Should they take up arms and go to the mountains?” he asked.

More than 100,000 public officials have been dismissed since July 15, while 70,000 people were detained over alleged ties to the abortive coup. Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ said last week that 32,000 people have been jailed pending trial.

Tens of thousands of Gülen sympathizers now face daunting challenges in daily life as the government has unleashed an unrelenting crackdown, denying jobs and basic services to them. Thanks to the government-led hate campaign, AKP loyalists launch sporadic attacks against Gülen sympathizers, while private employers refuse to give them jobs.

The CHP leader said he will be the voice of the victims and the oppressed amid ongoing gross human rights violations.

Source: Turkish Minute , October 2, 2016


Related News

[Erdogan’s] Turken Foundation: A Wolf in the Neighborhood [in the US]

Members of the Saudi royal family are known financiers of madrassas, informal education centers around the world that propagate Wahhabiism, an extremist interpretation of Islam. Will the [pro-Erdogan] New York dormitory function as a madrassa?

Turkish finance minister declines to comment on ‘color lists’

Finance Minister Mehmet Şimşek on Tuesday declined to comment on a question about claims that the government recruits public sector employees using “color lists” to avoid people affiliated with groups such as the Hizmet movement and critics of the government.

Turkey introduces new decree law to seize all Gulen-related companies

Thanks to a new decree law released as part of the state of emergency declared late on July 20 following a failed coup, Turkey’s government is now set to seize all the Turkish companies owned by businessmen somehow linked to the US-based Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Erdogan’s corruption defense falls flat

Denying the corruption accusations that brought his party under a disconcerting spotlight, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been lamenting press attempts to “throw the mud and see if it sticks.” He indirectly accused the judiciary of being taken over by the Fethullah Gulen religious movement, as well as acting as a subcontractor to foreign powers who, out of envy for Turkey’s political and economic success, manufactured this corruption plot to finish him off just as they tried to do at the Gezi Park protests in June.

Turkey’s tryst with democracy (1)

All of Erdoğan’s recent acts reflect a serious deficit of democracy in the ruling government. These acts include making bogus claims of a parallel structure; targeting institutions linked to Fethullah Gülen’s Hizmet movement; embark on a massive reshuffle of thousands of officials without any reasonable grounds; changing the structure of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) to subjugate the judiciary; openly interfering in the media; strengthening the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and bringing it under the direct control of the prime minister; banning Twitter and YouTube; and speaking with a threatening, bullying and polarizing tone.

Replacing Turkey’s purged elite

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that Turkey has recalled, dismissed, and imprisoned the cream of the crop of its military, its NATO envoys. 400 NATO military envoys in Europe and the United States, the most trained and experienced, have been purged.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Islamabad High Court: No plan to close Pak-Turk schools

Gulen Movement, civilian governments and the AK Party

Does Pakistani law allow you to deport Turkish teachers, Nawaz Sharif?

Kimse Yok Mu soup kitchen to serve weekly hot meal in Somalia

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for Rev. Billy Graham

Chorepiscopus Yusuf Sag: Fethullah Gulen’s service is admirable

Gülen movement offers real alternative to clashes and conflict in society

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News