CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu
Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu


Date posted: September 26, 2016

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has criticized a speech delivered by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at a UN meeting on Tuesday in which he called on world leaders to take measures against the faith-based Gülen movement, saying that Erdoğan’s speech only served to promote the Gülen movement.

Speaking at a meeting of his party on Thursday, Kılıçdaroğlu said as a citizen and leader of the main opposition party, he was ashamed of the speech Erdoğan delivered at the UN General Assembly.

“It was not clear whether he was speaking to world leaders or muhtars [neighborhood heads]. It became a meeting in which the [Gülen] community was the subject. He introduced the community to the world, he made it famous. If the community had worked 20 years, it would not have achieved what the president has done [for its reputation],” said the CHP leader.

Speaking during the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, Erdoğan said the movement had threatened Turkey’s national security by plotting a July 15 coup attempt that killed more than 270 people.

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in the US and is the inspiration of the Gülen movement, a civil society initiative promoting worldwide interfaith dialogue, peace and tolerance, has repeatedly denied Erdoğan’s accusations and offered to return to Turkey if any concrete evidence that demonstrates his involvement in the coup attempt is brought before an international commission that would investigate the plotters of the coup.

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and President Erdoğan have also designated the Gülen movement a terrorist organization and have launched a widespread crackdown on suspected members since the failed coup.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 22, 2016


Related News

Religious communities under threat in Turkey

These operations might have targeted the government in some respects, but so far no concrete evidence has been produced about deliberate, systematic and willful inclusion of the Hizmet movement in this plot. It is true that the Hizmet movement’s media group has been lending support to the graft and bribery investigation.

Men accused of attempting to rape 6 teachers: We thought they were Gulenists

Three suspects accused of attempting to rape 6 female teachers in İzmir have told a court they “wanted to force” the teachers to leave the town because they thought that the victims had links to the Gulen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt.

How Erdoğan painted himself into a corner

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is livid with Fetullah Gülen and his group. So much so that he is calling them “Assassins” now in the Islamic sense of the word. Suffice it to say it is extremely abusive to be called this if you are a devout Sunni.

Turkey’s Deputy PM: 2.4 Pct Of Public Sector Employees Discharged Over Alleged Gülen Links

Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş has announced that some 2.4 percent of Turkish public sector workers have been discharged over their alleged links to the Gülen movement.

The Battle For Turkey’s Soul

It is ironic and tragic that at a time when the world is in dire need of a liberal-moderate Islamic movement in its fight against Wahhabi-Salafi inspired global Islamic terrorism, the Erdogan regime is bent upon destroying the Gulen movement by labelling it as “terrorist”.

Turkey’s AKP planning to blame Hizmet movement for Deep State’s crimes

Online government whistleblower Fuat Avni has claimed that the government is concocting a plan to blame the clandestine assassinations of the ‘deep state’ and the violent domestic acts planned by the National Intelligence Agency (MİT) on the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Woman detained during visit to imprisoned husband on Valentine’s Day

Persecution In Turkey Left Kids With A Down Syndrome Suffering Tremendously

Kimse Yok Mu meets Syrian refugees’ needs through sister families

Laughter-guaranteed terrorist organization indictment

Preventing Disease: Turkish charity donates 22 wells to Pakistan

Why Fethullah Gulen will never support a coup?

Purge-victim family drowns in the Aegean Sea off Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News