Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges


Date posted: September 25, 2016

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen has called for an international commission to investigate Turkey’s charge that he orchestrated a failed coup last July, and said he would accept the findings if such a body found evidence of his guilt.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania since 1999, told the German broadcaster ZDF in an interview broadcast on Friday that there was no evidence linking him to the thwarted putsch, which he has denounced.

He accused Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan of using the coup to silence opponents.

Turkey has dismissed or suspended more than 100,000 people in the military, civil service, police, judiciary and education system since a group of rogue soldiers tried to topple the government.

An international organization should examine the issue. If the charges are correct, I will gladly accept what they want. But they haven’t proven anything or responded to my suggestions. It’s all just pure conjecture,” Gulen told ZDF.

“If they can prove that I spoke personally or by telephone with those responsible for the attempted coup, I would be happy to bear the consequences,” he said.

Erdogan on Tuesday called on world leaders at the United Nations to take measures against what he called Gulen’s “terrorist network”, which he said threatened their security.

Turkish authorities have accused Gulen of building up over decades a network of followers inside the armed forces and civil service that attempted to take control of the government.

They have asked the United States to extradite or detain the cleric, who was once a close ally of Erdogan’s.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden last month told Erdogan during a visit to Ankara that Washington was cooperating with the extradition request but needed evidence to meet U.S. legal standards.

Gulen told ZDF that, if Washington approved the extradition request, he would comply. “If the U.S. says ‘Yes’, then I will go. Then I will spend the rest of my numbered days being tormented by them so that I can free myself even more from my sins and mistakes and reach God as a pure man.”

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Source: Reuters , September 23, 2016


Related News

Hizmet’s approach to politics and politicians

Hizmet movement gets its strength from this independence. Because the movement gets money from no other sources than its own volunteers, it does not take orders. No doubt this is why certain people are made so uncomfortable right now by the Hizmet movement.

Dogan: Gulen earned sympathy among Alevis

Speaking of Gulen’s “mosques-cemevi project” proposal, Dogan said, “Gulen is an exceptional intellectual who can identify conspiracies against Alevis and Sunnis.” Cem Foundation President Prof. Izzettin Dogan gave noteworthy statements to the daily BUGUN concerning the recent issues ranging from Fethullah Gulen‘s remarks “Let’s not sacrifice all the bridges to build one. Mosques and cemevis should […]

Dr. Reuven Firestone Interviewed by Muslim Turkish Movement “Hizmet”

Hizmet is active in interfaith dialogue in Turkey and many other countries, and has built private and charter schools in many countries, including the US.

Worldview: No evidence, no extradition of Pa. cleric to Turkey

That’s the claim of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is demanding that the United States extradite Fethullah Gulen, a 77-year-old Turkish cleric living on a 26-acre retreat in Saylorsburg, whom he blames for orchestrating the failed coup.

How Kyrgyzstan and Turkey quarreled about Gülen

An analyst Dosmir Uzbekov believes that the closure of a wide network of schools and high schools “Sebat” will cause outrage among the population. “My son has graduated from Turkish lyceum, and I am very pleased with the education he received there. “Sebat” has become an inherent part of the education system of Kyrgyzstan.

GYV says arrest warrant for Gülen motivated by upcoming election

The Journalists and Writers Foundation’s (GYV), of which Fethullah Gülen is the honorary president, issued a statement on Wednesday slamming the government-orchestrated arrest warrant for Gülen as a government election tactic.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish gov’t jailed not only journalist Karaca, but also his lawyers and the judges who ruled to release him

Abant Platform discusses terror at UN headquarters in Vienna

UK Parliament: No evidence that Gülen, movement behind coup attempt

Turkish opposition deputy: Women jailed with children are treated like enemies

‘Selam’ – We come in peace

Students visiting Turkey bid one another a teary farewell

Fetullah Gülen, the preferred enemy – Interview

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News