Gulen suspect testifies before US Congress on recent coup attempt


Date posted: September 15, 2016

An alleged member of the Fetullah Gulen organization was invited on Wednesday to speak to a congressional panel on Turkey, a stunning move that could exacerbate tensions between Ankara and Washington.

Ahmet Sait Yayla was added to the original list of speakers to address the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats, just hours before the hearing on the 15 July coup attempt in Turkey.

Yayla, who was chairman of the sociology department at Harran University in Turkey, and a former police chief, escaped to the US in November 2015 after it became public he had alleged links to the organisation’s leader, Fetullah Gulen.

Turkey revoked Yayla’s passport and accused him of being a member of Gulen’s organisation it says carried out the coup attempt. Gulen has denied the accusations.

Analysts believe that allowing an alleged Gulen member to address US lawmakers will, undoubtedly, put further strain on relations between Ankara and Washington surrounding Gulen’s extradition.

During his panel presentation Yayla not only defended Gulen as being free from involvement in the coup attempt, but he even claimed the Turkish government and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plotted the overthrow.

Turkey has officially submitted to the US all evidence that Gulen’s network established a quasi-state within the Turkish state in an attempt to topple the government.

The Turkish authorities have meanwhile issued an official request for the extradition of Gulen under a 1979 treaty between Turkey and the US.

Yayla’s appearance triggered reaction from Turkish-American organisations in Washington.

The Turkish Heritage Organisation Vice President, Ali Cinar, told Anadolu Agency his organization had been trying for weeks to have one of its experts added to the list of speakers but was denied the request on grounds the panel was limited to just three speakers.

“There was just three speakers on the list until yesterday but we regretfully saw that Yayla was added to the list today,” Cinar said. “These kinds of stunning moves do not help to better Turkish-American relations.”

He said Turkish organisations would monitor developments surrounding Yayla’s testimony.

Source: Middle East Monitor , September 15, 2016


Related News

Prime Minister Erdoğan in his second home

Apolitical faith-based movements, represented by the Sufi lodges and the Hizmet movement today, regard Iranian expansionism as a real and imminent threat that needs to be tackled.

Opposition, diplomats slam gov’t attempt to shut down Turkish schools

The government’s attempts to shut down Turkish schools abroad which are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, have been severely criticized by opposition members and diplomats.

Austrian politician documents Turkish surveillance abroad [on Gulen movement]

Turkish diplomatic offices around the world are gathering information in a bid to undermine organizations loyal to a Muslim cleric. Turkey is pressing nations to crack down on the Gulen movement’s network of schools and charities outside of the country.

Zeki Saritoprak speaks on Gulen Movement at Chautauqua Institution

Zeki Saritoprak is the Nursi Chair in Islamic Studies at John Carroll University and delivered an Interfaith Lecture on Gülen and his Hizmet movement. Saritoprak also gave a brief outline of Turkish history, from the start of the Ottoman Empire to the founding of the Republic of Turkey. “Muslims have to establish … not religious […]

Frontal assault on free enterprise in Turkey: The case of prep-schools

Erdoğan fired a warning shot across the bow of the Hizmet movement, which operates some one-third of the more than 3,500 prep schools, hoping that the movement would fold under the pressure and shy away from criticizing the government on lingering corruption, the lack of bold reforms, the stalled EU membership process, the failed constitutional work, its intrusion in people’s ways of life and privacy, blunders in foreign policy and the weakened transparency and accountability in governance.

Al-Nusra Claims Responsibility For Murder Of Russian Ambassador, Warns Of More Attacks

The Jabhat Fatah al-Sham organization (formerly the al-Nusra Front) claimed to be responsible for Monday’s murder of Russian Ambassador Andrey Karlov’s in Ankara. Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu had even told his US counterpart John Kerry that both Turkey and Russia “know” that the Gulen movement was behind the ambassador’s murder.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Report reveals closure of prep schools against Constitution

119 people in Turkey died due to crackdown on Gülen movement in 2019 (430 people died since 2016)

Hizmet Movement blog now available in Portuguese and Arabic

Turks Fleeing Persecution Find Haven in South Africa

Is Nigeria now a part of Turkey?

Autistic child injures self to express grief after father detained in Malaysia: mother

Ergun Poyraz to pay compensation for slandering Fethullah Gulen in his book

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News