Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says


Date posted: July 30, 2016

Jason Hanna and Tim Hume

Captured military officers raped by police, hundreds of soldiers beaten, some detainees denied food and water and access to lawyers for days. These are the grim conditions that many of the thousands who were arrested in Turkey face in the aftermath of a recent failed coup, witnesses tell Amnesty International.

Detainees awaiting trial have been beaten and tortured in official and unofficial holding centers in Istanbul and Ankara since the July 15 coup attempt by parts of Turkey’s military, the human rights group alleged this week, citing interviews with detainees’ lawyers, doctors and a person who was on duty at one of the centers in Ankara.

The mood at the demonstration, dubbed the "Republic and Democracy Rally," was celebratory and patriotic and a rare show of unity between government and opposition supporters.

“The grim details that we have documented are just a snapshot of the abuses that might be happening in places of detention,” John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Europe director, said in a statement Sunday.
Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag denied the allegations in the report.
“No individual was tortured or mistreated during or after their detention,” Bozdag said.
“Accusations of torture and ill-treatment are unfounded,” he said, blaming them on supporters of cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused of orchestrating the upheaval.
Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek told CNN that “if there are any substantive allegations, there will be further investigations,” saying the government has “zero tolerance to any abuses.”
More than 10,000 people have been detained, Amnesty International said. More than 9,000 were soldiers, though about 1,200 were released, the Turkish government said last week. Nearly 1,700 troops, including 87 generals, have been fired, the state-run news agency Anadolu reported.
Here’s a look at some of the allegations, according to Amnesty International:

Rapes and beatings

• Many detainees are being kept in informal holding centers, such as a sports hall at the Ankara police headquarters and some riding club stables in the city.
• Detainees say they saw police officers raping senior military officers with batons or fingers, according to two lawyers in Ankara.
• A person who’d been on duty at the Ankara police headquarters claimed to have seen a severely beaten detainee who lost consciousness with large swelling on his head. Police allegedly denied that detainee medical treatment. “Let him die. We will say he came to us dead,” the witness quoted a police doctor as saying.
• Up to 800 male soldiers were being held in the Ankara police headquarters sports hall, a source there said, and at least 300 showed signs of having been beaten, with bruises, cuts or broken bones, the source said. About 40 could not walk, and a woman detained separately from men had bruising on her face and torso, the source said.
• Detainees were brought before prosecutors for interrogation with their shirts covered in blood, lawyers said.

Stress positions and food deprivation

• Many detainees were handcuffed behind their backs with plastic zip ties and forced to kneel for hours, the interviewees said.
• Detainees alleged that police deprived them of food for up to three days and water for up to two days, according to the interviewees.

‘Grave violations of a right to a fair trial’

• More than 10 lawyers were interviewed, saying most of their clients were held for at least four days before being charged. In most cases, the detainees had been held without the ability to talk to relatives or the attorneys before their hearings.
• In most cases, neither the clients nor their attorneys were informed of specific charges, the lawyers said.
• “These are grave violations of the right to a fair trial which is enshrined in both Turkey’s national law and international law,” Dalhuisen said.
• “In the vast majority of cases, (lawyers) said that no evidence establishing reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior was presented against their clients during the charge hearings … (and) lawyers explained that judges ordered detained soldiers to be placed in pretrial detention if they left their barracks the evening of the coup, regardless of the reason,” Amnesty International said in a statement.

Call for independent monitors

Amnesty International said it wanted the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture to send people to check on detainees’ conditions.
The roundup of suspected coup plotters is not the only government response to the uprising.
Under a new presidential decree following the attempted coup, suspects can be detained for as long as 30 days without charge, and the government can listen in on all conversations they have with their attorneys.
A three-month state of emergency declaration issued Thursday grants Erdogan new sweeping powers to implement the detention measures.
Besides the arrests, Turkey’s government has launched a sweeping purge of institutions and individuals suspected of having ties to Gulen.
Authorities have fired or suspended at least 50,000 people from various institutions, including judges, teachers, soldiers, police and journalists. Even the state-run Turkish Airlines has not been exempt from the crackdown, with the company announcing Monday that 211 employment contracts had been terminated.
Turkish authorities have issued arrest warrants for 42 journalists, Anadolu reported Monday.
Reporters Without Borders has slammed the government’s treatment of journalists following the political upheaval.
Johann Bihr, the head of the organization’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk, said that democracy “cannot be protected by trampling on fundamental freedoms.”
“The wholesale and arbitrary nature of the attacks on the Turkish media in the past week seems to reflect a desire to exact revenge and bring them into line. It is time the authorities put a stop to this,” Bihr said in a statement.
Reporters Without Borders ranks Turkey 151st out of 180 countries for press freedom.

Source: CNN , July 27, 2016


Related News

Top court annuls controversial law on prep school closure

Turkey’s Constitutional Court has annulled a controversial law seeking to close down dershanes, or private preparatory schools, in a landmark ruling that will influence the lives and futures of millions of students, parents and teachers across the country.

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

There is a curious reluctance on the part of the Turkish government to carry out an in-depth investigation of the coup, but the blame has been put unequivocally on an erstwhile ally, Fethullah Gülen, a reclusive Turkish imam resident in Pennsylvania, and the cadres of his movement, which enabled Erdogan and the AKP to come to and hold power.

Journalists and Writers Foundation holds media forum in Moscow

Gülen touched in his letter to the forum :The principle of objectivity in the media, which he said is often violated worldwide. “Adopting this principle and reflecting this principle in stories require a strong character, a strong culture, a sense of responsibility and an understanding of putting national interests above anything else.

The Encyclopedia of Islam and hate speech

Erdoğan’s obvious target was Fethullah Gülen, but it is clear that he also attacked anyone who doesn’t think like him with phrases such as “false prophets,” “fake mystics” and “so-called scholars.” This denigration is problematic especially in terms of secularism. Indeed, the prime minister hurls gross insults at religious interpretations that diverge from his own. In his capacity as a prime minister, he imposes his beliefs and acts onto those who do not think like him. One step beyond these remarks would be the prime minister’s supporters’ resorting to violence against those he places on the bull’s eye.

Gülen: PKK employing tactics similar to those of Feb. 28

For some months, the PKK has misinterpreted the remarks of Gülen regarding the solution to Turkey’s long-standing Kurdish problem and is using manipulation tactics similar to those employed during the military intervention of 1997 against Gülen movement. 9 January 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL Well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ […]

Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says

JASON HANNA and TIM HUME Captured military officers raped by police, hundreds of soldiers beaten, some detainees denied food and water and access to lawyers for days. These are the grim conditions that many of the thousands who were arrested in Turkey face in the aftermath of a recent failed coup, witnesses tell Amnesty International. […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

‘Latest developments increased recognition of Hizmet Movement globally’

Accused Turkish Cleric Assails President on Anniversary of Coup Attempt in WSJ Interview

My husband is being tortured and I am worried about his life

Bosnian Arrest of ‘Gulenist’ School Head Sparks Extradition Fears

Ugandan FA Minister: Turkish schools paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa

Erdoğan planning to stage another coup in bid to eradicate remaining dissidents, columnist claims

Minister Şahin praises Journalists and Writers Foundation for courageous coverage

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News