Former Hampton Roads physicist arrested after Turkey coup attempt


Date posted: August 20, 2016

TAMARA DIETRICH

When Alicia Hofler of Newport News heard about terrorists bombing the Istanbul airport in June, she shot off an email to her old college friend, Serkan Golge, a NASA contractor in Houston.

Golge was born in Turkey, but has become a U.S. citizen. He and Hofler met as graduate students at Old Dominion University in Norfolk and stayed in touch over the years.

“It was just sort of a check-in email,” Hofler said. “He wrote back and said, ‘Yes, I’m safe, but I was in the airport just prior to that.’ ”

On the heels of that airport bombing came a military coup attempt to topple Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, so Hofler checked in yet again. And again, Golge assured her he was still safe, in Turkey visiting family, but planning to return to the U.S. July 24.

That was the last Hofler heard from him.

“Since he had been so quick to respond to the other emails, I sort of worried,” Hofler said. “So that’s when I did the online search and his name came up, and I was just stunned.”

What her search found was news reports out of Turkey saying Golge had been detained and arrested, suspected of involvement in the failed coup.

According to several online reports, Golge, 36, was arrested in the southern province of Hatay, where he was visiting relatives. Someone had accused Golge of being part of the Fethullahist Terror Organization, the government’s designation for the Gulen movement that Erdogan believes masterminded the overthrow attempt.

The Hatay provincial governor also noted Golge had studied at a school linked to the Gulen movement before attending Fatih University in Istanbul.

After earning a degree there, Golge came to Hampton Roads for graduate work. He studied accelerator physics at ODU from 2002 to 2010, followed by postdoctoral work at North Carolina Central University in Durham, N.C., from 2010 to 2013.

While at both universities, he conducted accelerator physics research at Jefferson Lab in Newport News, where Hofler is now a staff computer scientist.

In 2013, Golge became a senior researcher at the University of Houston, as well as a contractor at NASA’s Johnson Space Center, where he studies the effects of space radiation on crew aboard the International Space Station.

University spokeswoman Shawn Lindsey said Golge was supposed to return from vacation on July 25.

“We are hopeful for his well-being and speedy return,” Lindsey said in an emailed statement.

Hofler hopes for the same, but in a tearful phone interview Wednesday said she was torn.

“I also have concern that, if we give too much publicity to his situation, that he becomes a high-value target,” Hofler said. “And I don’t want that to happen.”

She contacted the U.S. State Department to alert them to Golge’s arrest. On Wednesday, a State Department spokesman said they can’t comment on Golge, citing privacy concerns.

NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C., referred all questions to the State Department.

Golge’s situation has attracted the attention of the Committee of Concerned Scientists, an independent advocacy group based in New York City.

The group’s executive director, Carol Valoris, said they just sent a letter to Vice President Joe Biden urging him to advocate for thousands of Turkish scientists, physicians, engineers and scholars detained and arrested since the coup attempt. Biden is scheduled to meet with Erdogan on Friday.

“There is a physicist, in particular — an American citizen, who went to Turkey prior to the coup to visit his parents and was arrested in the post-coup period,” the letter states. “He is a scientist with NASA and we are quite concerned about his well-being.”

Valoris said they see mixed results when they agitate for the civil rights of detained colleagues.

“I think it helps some,” Valoris said. “Sometimes it helps a great deal in that actually it changes the direction, the course that things are going in. I think it helps a little in that it makes them aware that … if they were looking to hurt somebody or torture somebody or have someone just disappear off the face of the Earth, knowing that people are looking.”

Golge is married and the father of two sons, ages 6 and 5 months.

Source: Daily Press , August 17, 2016


Related News

As Turkey’s war on Gulen escalates, so does impact on Africa

While critics say that Gülen is at best a cult figure, he is considered by many the legitimate spiritual leader of an Islamic movement that is focused on humanitarian service – hence the common name Hizmet – as well as interfaith dialogue and education.

Mother of 2 detained while visiting jailed husband during Eid holiday

42-year-old Ozen Alkan was detainedon Monday, June 26 while she was visiting her husband, already under arrest over his alleged links to the Gulen movement. It was the second day of Muslim festival of Eid-Al-Fitr on Monday.

Gulen has ‘no intention of leaving the US’

The Alliance for Shared Values “rejects the accusation” by Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus that Gulen is planning a move to Canada, it said in a statement on its website. The Alliance also reiterated its call for an end to attempts to stymie voices of democratic dissent, including journalists, academics, Kurds, liberals and participants in the Hizmet movement.

From republic to al-mukhabarat state

As seen in [an official] document published on Friday, MİT has ordered its branches to finish off Hizmet and other religious groups. MİT now stands above all other institutions of Turkey, as well as the judicial and legislative branches.

Couple offering wedding feast to Syrian refugees surprised by feedback

A Turkish couple who have made their way onto major newspapers around the world for spending their wedding day feeding 4,000 Syrian refugees in the southern province of Kilis on the Syrian border have said they never thought they would receive so much positive feedback for their action.

Fethullah Gülen says Turkey’s involvement in a war would bring mass destruction

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has warned against the dire consequences of Turkey’s possible involvement in a war in Syria or Iraq, saying Turkish authorities should avoid any action that may cause the Turkish people to experience sorrows similar to those of World War I.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bal asks whether Erdoğan is trying to suppress religious communities

Al-Azhar professor: Gülen courageously resists radicalism

Time to Help delivers food to refugees arriving in Nickelsdorf

Troubled Nigeria discusses Gülen’s ‘culture of coexistence’

Governor’s office leads raid against Gülen inspired school based on annulled law

Fethullah Gülen, sent a message to the Geneva Peace Conference

Awards from Romanian Prime Minister to Turkish School Students

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News