Attacking the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: May 18, 2015

Last week, I wrote: “The AKP [Justice and Development Party] is planning to rig the elections by using state power. It is also trying to distort the real election agenda.

The Hizmet movement is a multi-task, multi-purpose tool for the AKP in this regard. The AKP only wants its voters to talk about ideological issues, not economic problems. Thus, it persists with its attacks on the Hizmet movement. Every day police officers attack offices of the movement’s civil society organizations. … To create the most impact, to steer the public away from talking about the opposition’s projects, the AKP may arrest hundreds of Hizmet volunteers, journalists, professors and civil activists of the Hizmet movement under terrorism and possibly even spying charges.”

Since I wrote those words, the pro-AKP media have launched a new campaign against one of Hizmet’s flagship organizations, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV). Speaking on the A Haber television station, which is run by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s son-in-law, three commentators talked about an influential opposition member of Parliament. They linked her influential opposition to the existence of a sex tape involving her. On the show, Cemil Barlas, the son of columnist Mehmet Barlas, said that Meral Akşener, a Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy and a deputy parliament speaker, is a very active critic of the AKP and asks if the reason for this is the existence of a sex tape. Instead of asking Barlas more, the show’s moderator instantly turns to Latif Erdoğan ???WHO IS THIS??? and asks him if he knows anything about Akşener’s personality. It is obvious that they have planned this episode. Erdoğan is very firm and clear. He says Akşener does have a sex tape, which includes indecent scenes that do not befit a lady. The commentator urges Erdoğan to continue and he says the information is based on concrete evidence. He also says that Akşener has been threatened by the Hizmet movement, which he says prepared the tape to force Akşener to continue to criticize the AKP.

Erdoğan later changed his story and said he has never seen the tape and that it was doctored. He also said that GYV Chairman Mustafa Yeşil offered to give him the tape several years ago. Yeşil denied this vehemently and his lawyer has filed a lawsuit. Many people have asked Erdoğan why he has not done or said anything if has was offered such a satanic thing. He has no answers, only more lies.

Then, Daily Sabah, which is also run by Erdoğan’s son-in-law, kept publishing stories based on Cem Küçük’s allegations that the GYV is the cosmic center of Hizmet’s terrorist and tape activities. Küçük, a notorious pro-AKP columnist with alleged links to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), had been writing that the GYV is a spy center and that Hizmet gives top secret documents of the Turkish state to visiting CIA, MOSSAD and other spies in the foundation’s buildings. Before last week, these claims only appeared in his column. But at the start of last week, this idea started spreading to become big news for the Erdoğanist media. Since Fethullah Gülen is the honorary chair of the foundation, it seems that Erdoğan now takes this issue seriously. I will not be surprised if hundreds of police officers raid the foundations’ offices.

I am also one of the foundation’s board members. And being in their top list of columnists alongside my boss, Bülent Keneş, I am a little concerned (but not afraid) that the AKP may try to imprison all of the foundation’s members. We shall see.

On a final note, the Sabah daily has written that prosecutors have now opened a lawsuit against GYV Chair Mustafa Yeşil. What a surprise! It is Latif Erdoğan, Cemil Barlas and A Haber who smeared Akşener, but it is Yeşil who has to prove that he has done nothing wrong! I suggest that they must also open a lawsuit against Akşener. No one would be surprised.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 15, 2015


Related News

Corruption scandal will consolidate Turkish democracy

” When all the dust settles in the aftermath of corruption, money laundering and racketeering involving higher-ups in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), we will have the chance to lay the foundation for a democracy by consensus, which is the only way to rule a large country like Turkey with a relatively young population and rising middle class.”

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

The bizarre, phantom-like failed coup d’etat staged against Erdoğan’s increasingly brutal regime on July 15 last year saw him seize the opportunity to exterminate, imprison and purge tens of thousands of his enemies, real and imagined, within all strata of civil society, the military, government, media, education, health, the judiciary and other institutions.

Saudi Scholar al-Qarni: Gulen serves with wisdom

One of the most celebrated scholars of Saudi Arabia and the Arab world at large, Sheikh Aaidh al-Qarni delivered sermons on “Tabi’in” (a referral to the people who lived in an age right after the Prophet Muhammad’s companions’ generation) at several salatin mosques (mosques built by Ottoman sultans) in Istanbul, on June 1 thru 9. […]

MHP: Gov’t should not harass its citizens who open Turkish schools abroad

Vural said that if the government does not protect its citizens who are involved in the Turkish schools — which are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen — but instead complains about them to international governments, questions need to be asked.

Man campaigning for anti-Gülen protest in US Turkish Communist Party member

A statement on the herkul.org website, which broadcasts weekly speeches of Gülen, said Gülen’s doors are open to everyone. “We are following the path of 13th-century Sufi philosopher and poet Rumi. Our hearts and doors are open to everyone. We have all kinds of tea and refreshments here. Freedom of expression and thought is what we have also been defending unless it contains insult.

TUSKON says systematic campaign of defamation is under way

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists’ (TUSKON) has criticized what it said a systematic campaign of defamation against the business conglomolarete, stressing that its business activities that help contribute to Turkish economy should only be welcomed.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish charities in Somalia for long haul

Study Reveals Horrible Pattern Of Hate Speech By Erdoğan, The Chief Hatemonger In Turkey

Ishik University To Educate Students About the Threats of [the so-called] Islamic State

Canada grants asylum to eight Gulenists under UN protection in Mongolia

HAPPENING NOW: Police await outside hospital to detain woman who just gave birth

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

17th TUSKON trade summit sees 25,000 B2B meetings

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News