Hizmet-affiliated schools removed from private school incentive list


Date posted: September 5, 2014

BURCU ÖZTÜRK/ BETÜL TANRISEVEN/ / ISTANBUL

The Ministry of Education engaged in scandalous discrimination on Thursday by crossing off Hizmet-affiliated schools at the eleventh hour from the list of private education institutions that students who are entitled to state financial assistance can enroll at.

The Hizmet schools were in the original list of those institutions which met all the criteria for eligibility to receive financial incentives to accept these students. Announced on Monday, the schools were listed on the ministry’s website until Thursday afternoon, when they were taken off without any explanation. However, an official written notice sent from the ministry to governorates on Thursday said: “It was not deemed proper to give such incentives to education institutions whose managers are under fiscal investigation and interrogation within the scope of the Law No. 5549 on the Prevention of Laundering of Crime Revenues and those that had received punishments fiscal irregularities after due inspections before,” and asked the governorates do what the notice requires.

Students and their guardians who were planning to send their children to these schools, which have the reputation of offering the highest standard of education in their provinces, reacted to this last-minute change, saying such a move “was completely illegal and arbitrary.”

Bayram Kaya, whose child was chosen to receive financial assistance for private school enrollment, said they were planning to make their preferences and they were surprised to see that the school which they had picked in the originally announced list had been taken off the updated list. “This kind of unlawfulness is not acceptable. We want this illegal practice to be stopped immediately,” he told Today’s Zaman.

The Education Ministry’s initial list included 4,361 schools but 360 of them were later removed. A sensational article from pro-government media outlet Star on Wednesday titled “Incentive blow to parallel [state]” claimed the schools that had not benefited from the private school incentives were mostly those known to have affiliations with the Hizmet movement. The daily falsely claimed that these schools are under financial investigation and are far from meeting the financial criteria set as private school standards by the ministry. The same report also claimed that the Hizmet-affiliated schools which were in the incentive list will soon be subjected to a financial investigation and will shortly be taken off the list.

As part of its controversial move to transform dershanes — private tutoring institutions which prepare students for entrance exams — into private schools, the Education Ministry started an incentive program this year for families to encourage them to send their children to private schools, which offer a far better education to students than crowded and generally ineffective public schools. The program envisages contributing about TL 3,000 per child in several installments to the private schools in turn for a reduction in fees.

The system has been criticized for its scope and problems in selecting children. For instance, in Siirt province, applications from a total of 190 children were accepted for the private school incentive program but the only private school in the province was not in the list of eligible schools. Likewise, in the provinces of İzmir, Konya, Kayseri, Gümüşhane and Tunceli, numerous private schools were not given a place in the eligibility list despite the fact that they met the standards and they were in a strong financial position.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 4, 2014


Related News

Afghan education minister: Turkish schools are model for private schools

Afghan Education Minister Dr. Shafiq Samim has said he is proud to have Turkish schools in Afghanistan and that they have become a model for Afghan private schools.

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

A Kyrgyzstan court on Tuesday overturned a decision by the country’s Prosecutor General’s Office to extradite two people to Turkey to face charges of membership of the banned Gülen movement, The Diplomat reported.

American pastor jailed over Gülen links asks Trump to fight for his release

An American pastor who has been jailed on bogus terrorism charges in Turkey for more than five months has asked US President Donald Trump to help secure his release. Pastor Brunson has no known ties to terrorist groups, and the Turkish government has not produced any evidence to show that he does.

‘Gulenists’ talk about finding a safe haven in Kosovo

Thousands of Turkish nationals, including Gulenists, opposition members, and minorities, fled Turkey and scattered throughout the globe, particularly in Europe and the US; some educators and civil servants with actual or alleged ties to the transnational religious Gulenist movement fled to Kosovo.

‘If you are against us, you are the other’

Turkey has been witnessing a rigorous debate for the last couple of weeks over the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) vow to finish off the test prep schools, which are a source of both money and influence for its old ally, the Hizmet Movement led by the self-exiled leader, Fethullah Gülen. Like many controversies in Turkey, the issue of closing the courses and integrating them into Turkey’s poorly-established and -organized education system was not only about the prep schools, which was only the tip of the iceberg.

Erdoğan’s war against Hizmet: Step by step

Turkish prosecutors carried out a number of arrests and raids on the morning of 17th December 2013 as part of a series of on-going corruption investigations. PM Erdogan’s response has been to call this a coup attempt against his government orchestrated by a coalition of foreign and domestic enemies. Erdogan claims that the ‘domestic pawn’ of this plot is the Hizmet movement. His number one election campaign promise: to crush and annihilate the treacherous Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Burc Schools achieve 13 medals in AMC 8

Azerbaijan detains Turkish teacher under UN protection as wife fears deportation

General Staff ordered broadcasting of anti-Gülen recordings

Gülen-inspired schools and SMOs

Lawmakers from various countries call for better protection of female refugees

Fethullah Gülen backs peace talks between government and PKK

Afghan Parents Complain to UN Over Detention of Turkish Teachers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News