Purges at Turkish Airlines continue after PM’s ‘witch hunt’ remarks


Date posted: June 7, 2014

ISTANBUL

Mehmet Yılmaz, head of Turkish Airlines’ (THY) line maintenance department, was demoted to a lower position, according to Turkish news outlets on Friday.

Yılmaz, who has worked for the company for 20 years, is among a group of high-level THY employees who have been reassigned in recent months, most of whom were graduates from Fatih University, an institution linked to the Hizmet movement, inspired by US-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The reassignments, in conjunction with a recent statement made by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, have generated the perception that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) is targeting members of the Hizmet movement. “If reassigning individuals who betray this country is called a witch-hunt, then yes, we will carry out a witch-hunt,” said Prime Minister Erdoğan last month.

Following the corruption allegations that went public on Dec. 17 and resulted in the resignation of four AK Party Cabinet members, thousands of police and hundreds of members of the judiciary were purged or reassigned to different posts, in an attempt to cleanse the state apparatus of members of the Hizmet movement, which according to Prime Minister Erdoğan have formed a “parallel state” determined to unseat the government.

Kemal Babuşcu was removed from his post as strategy and business development manager of THY last month. Babuşcu was offered the position as general manager of the company’s catering service. Babuşcu, a Fatih University graduate and nephew of AK Party İstanbul branch head Aziz Babuşcu, posted a statement on Facebook saying he was transferred based on the claim that he was a member of the “parallel state.”

Turkish Airlines, the country’s flagship airline which is 49 percent state-owned, has repeatedly targeted individuals and media outlets critical of the government. In April, former AK Party deputy Muhammed Çetin claimed that he was “blacklisted” by the airline and on separate occasions was prevented from purchasing a ticket and asked to leave a flight that he had already boarded. Çetin resigned from the ruling party following the corruption probe.

Earlier this year, the airline completely ceased its dealings with Bank Asya, a Turkish bank affiliated with the Hizmet movement. Followers of the movement interpreted the decision as part of a move by the government to sink the bank. Around the same time, copies of newspapers such as Zaman, Taraf and Bugün, which are critical of the government, were removed from THY flights. Such decisions indicate that THY policy is under the firm grip of the government.

THY is the world’s fourth-largest airline based on number of destinations, serving over 200 airports worldwide. While the company’s overall sales rose in the first quarter of 2014, the airline posted a TL 226 million loss in profits during that period on a year-to-year basis.

Source: Cihan , June 7, 2014


Related News

Police raid schools in Diyarbakır where locals go on strike in protest of recent gov’t practices

Police officers and inspectors carried out raids on a number of schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement as part of a government-led operation against the movement in southeastern province of Diyarbakır, where people have gone on strike in protest of the government’s recent practices in the province.

AKP official: Let sacked public servants eat tree roots

The Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) Isparta branch head, Osman Zabun, has said the civil servants who have recently been dismissed from state institutions over alleged links to the Gülen movement can go and “feed on tree roots” if they don’t want to starve to death.

Message of tolerance, peace expressed at GYV’s fast-breaking dinner

A message of tolerance, dialogue and coexistence for people of different faiths and ethnic backgrounds was dominant at a fast-breaking dinner organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Thursday. “We have capital no other than love, no intention other than serving humanity,” Mustafa Yeşil, head of the GYV, said at the fast-breaking dinner, […]

Istanbul court blocks access to Gülen’s website

An Istanbul court has ruled to block access to the website of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, accused by the Turkish government of “leading a terrorist organization.”

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

In Pennsylvania, Gülen and his aides scrambled to denounce the coup attempt as it unfolded. “As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt,” Gülen said in a statement, referring to Turkey’s spotty democratic history. The U.S. also was quick to condemn the coup attempt, but not quick enough for many in the Turkish government and media.

On front lines of fight for press freedom in Turkey

“I’m happy to be a journalist despite all the stress and pressure we’ve been under from the government,” Akarcesme said last Tuesday during a visit to the newspaper’s offices by group of Capital Region journalists and academics led by the Turkish Cultural Center of Albany.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Tevere Institute organized an Iftar Dinner for Diplomats in Vatican

Peace and prosperity for Turkey lies in philosophy of Nursi says Altan Tan

Mississippi group, national officials denounce ISIS

The Coup Attempt – Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

The dominant assessment in NATO: Turkey’s President Erdoğan staged the coup himself

Karaca’s lawyers to ask Constitutional Court to reverse detention order

KYM volunteer doctors distribute Ramadan aid in Kenya

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News