Erdoğan says his gov’t will carry out ‘witch hunt’


Date posted: May 12, 2014

ANKARA

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, while defending an ongoing government-sponsored wave of purges of public officials, said on Sunday that the government will carry out a “witch hunt” if that is how critics define the purges.

“If reassigning individuals who betray this country is called a witch hunt, then yes, we will carry out this witch hunt,” Erdoğan said while delivering a speech at the 22nd Consultation and Assessment Meeting of his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in Afyonkarahisar.

The AK Party government, frustrated by a major graft investigation that went public on Dec. 17 of last year, has been quick to reassign public officials en masse in response to the operation. The probe implicated several former Cabinet members and senior government officials, and as many as 15,000 police officers and hundreds of members of the judiciary as well as dozens of bureaucrats at public institutions have been reassigned since Dec. 17. The fact that no investigation was launched before those officials were sacked and that most of the officials were not given an explanation for their dismissal has led to comments that the government is carrying out a “witch hunt” against its critics.

There are rumors that the only criteria behind these purges is links to a “parallel state,” a term the government has been using to define the Hizmet movement, which is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation to spread interfaith dialogue and tolerance, with a particular emphasis on education. The government has been at odds with the Hizmet movement since the graft operation and it has been reassigning public officials known or suspected to be close to the movement.

“Anyone who is negligent in this struggle will betray this nation. Anyone who takes steps back, [or] intends to compromise and forget what has happened in the past will put a black mark on the trust of our people. Anyone who keeps silent by showing no reaction or who bows to threats and blackmail will go down in history as they are,” the prime minister said on Sunday. His remarks came as clear encouragement for AK Party officials and members to carry on their “fight against Hizmet.”

Most of the removed public officials have been appointed to less prestigious positions. Recent media reports have said certain ministries are planning to dismiss the reassigned officers in the upcoming weeks. The officials will allegedly be dismissed on charges of engaging in illegal wiretapping activities; leaking or destroying important data; misconduct; and acquiring information through illegal means.

The prime minister has also implicitly urged citizens to report members or followers of the Hizmet movement to the government, and said that the government would “take action” against them. “This is not a simple struggle,” he said.

In addition, Erdoğan lashed out at those talking about the tragic death of Berkin Elvan, a teenager who died because of an injury sustained when he was hit in the head by a police tear gas canister during the Gezi Park protests last summer. The young boy died in March after spending nine months in a coma. Reports said Elvan was on his way to buy bread when he was hit at a close range with a tear gas canister fired by riot police in İstanbul’s Okmeydanı neighborhood.

However, the prime minister does not see it like that. “They [critics of the government] are trying to exploit the deaths of some people. They keep talking about the incident in İstanbul, about Berkin Elvan. He [Elvan] had a mask on his face, a slingshot in his hand and explosives in his pocket. But some media outlets say he was going to buy bread. Who would go to buy bread with a mask, a slingshot and explosives?” Erdoğan said.

In an earlier speech in mid-March, the prime minister claimed that Elvan was a member of a terrorist organization and defended the police who killed him.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 11, 2014


Related News

Another AK Party deputy, Muhammed Çetin, resigns in protest

Çetin reportedly asked AK Party deputies Volkan Bozkır and Ali Aşlık about their shoebox numbers. His joke prompted other deputies to tell the incident to the party administration, which outraged with the joke and referred Çetin to the disciplinary committee with request of expulsion.

[Caliphate in sight] What to expect in 2014 Turkey

Well, under normal circumstances Erdoğan would get neither himself nor his government involved in what looks like plain bribery. But the situation would be completely different if the underlying assumption of the government is that Erdoğan is the de facto caliph.

Supreme court calls on AK Party’s Şahin to substantiate claim about Gülen

The Supreme Court of Appeals has asked a senior Justice and Development Party (AK Party) official to hand over any evidence regarding his allegations about US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen amid claims by the official that a judge at the high court had acted contrary to legal procedures and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in a case against a businessman several years ago.

Fethullah Gulen condemns the coup attempt in Turkey

I condemn, in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey. Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force.

Gülen’s lawyer rejects ‘letter of alliance’ to PKK

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose ideas inspired the faith based Hizmet movement, denied claims made by the Sabah daily claiming that Gülen sent a letter of alliance to the PKK

Interview with Kimse Yok Mu Foundation’s President Ismail Cingoz

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation (KYM) President Ismail Cingoz spoke on Turkey’s helping hand extending to the world: “We involve approximately 10 thousand volunteers in our efforts. We have 97 thousand families that we have been consistently providing aid for. We are active in 103 countries regardless of their ethnicity, language, faith or color.” We talked […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Oil-rich Nigeria seeks Turkish energy, construction partnerships

UN and Turkish charity provide 17,000 Syrian refugees with financial aid

Ban Ki-moon (UN Secretary General) sent a message to IFLC

Erdoğan government opposes democratic values: detained Turkish journalist

Bias about Gulen Movement in light of The Economist column

Parents Reject Decision to Shut Down Gülen-inspired Schools in Morocco

New university in Pakistan with Turkish collaboration

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News