Gov’t keeps purging, dozens of police officials across Turkey have been removed


Date posted: February 4, 2014

İSTANBUL

The government’s massive purge of members of the police and judiciary following the eruption of a corruption and bribery scandal continued across the country on Tuesday, with dozens more police officials being removed from their posts.

The purges are believed to be based on profiling of those who are said to be part of the Hizmet (Service) movement.

All the deputy chiefs at the Diyarbakır Police Department were removed from their post in the latest round of dismissals during an ongoing graft probe on Tuesday. They have been replaced by officials from the police school. Many officers at the police department have been appointed to positions at outposts. The officials that were removed from their jobs have all been appointed to less important posts.

The deputy chief at the anti-terrorism unit of Diyarbakır Provincial Police Department, Ali Gaffar Okan, has been reassigned to a new post as a teacher at the police school. The dismissals at the department are expected to continue in the coming days.

The Eskişehir Police Department also saw dismissals on Tuesday in which four police chiefs, four deputy chiefs and three chief commissioners were removed from their posts, raising the total number of dismissals in the province to 16.

They have been reassigned to different posts. Two chief commissioners at the anti-smuggling and organized crime unit have also been reappointed to the district police department.

The dismissals are reportedly taking place at the order of new Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who was appointed to his position in a Cabinet reshuffle after the corruption investigation broke, replacing former Interior Minister Muammer Güler, whose son was detained on Dec. 17 in the first round of the investigation. Media reports note that the officials who were removed from their duty were ones who conducted major operations against corruption and bribery.

The dismissals of thousands of police officers have also extended to the Prime Ministry, with 23 security officers being removed from their jobs.

Twenty-three security guards at the Prime Ministry were removed from their posts on Tuesday. The dismissals came after an inspection board completed a report regarding the discovery of a listening device in the office of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The report had been sent to the prosecutor’s office and the file was taken over by the related unit at Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office due to suspicions about spying.

There are reportedly security guards responsible for protecting the prime minister as well as those working at the security camera control center among the dismissed.

The provincial gendarmerie commander who intercepted three Syria-bound trucks on suspicion of transporting arms in Adana province at the order of a prosecutor also has been removed from his duty and reassigned to a less significant position at the Ankara Gendarmerie Schools Command.

The trucks, which officials said belonged to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), were searched by security officials. The prosecutor recorded the contents of the truck, but pressure from government officials prevented him from filing criminal charges, according to reports.

Around 6,000 police officers as well as about 130 prosecutors have been removed from their duties and reassigned to other posts in total since the corruption investigation became public on Dec. 17.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 4, 2014


Related News

Train, equip and persecute?

It’s never easy to find diplomats who speak publicly without beating around the bush and concealing facts, even if they are retired. Exceptions make especially us journalists happy. Former United States Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone is one of them.

A reasonable statement from Fethullah Gülen

The statement made by Fethullah Gülen regarding the choice of the name Yavuz Sultan Selim for the third bridge over the Bosporus that is to be built by the government will certainly enrich the ongoing debate about this issue and will lead to a reconsideration of using this name. The sensitivities of the Islamic segment while evaluating […]

Gülen Movement’s role on London conference agenda

The Gülen movement’s past, present and potential future influence on the Muslim world will be explored in a conference titled “Muslim World in Transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement,” to be held on Oct. 25-27 at the House of Lords in London.

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condolences for Victims of Terrorist Attack at Istanbul Ataturk International Airport

Turkish Islamic scholar and peace advocate Fethullah Gulen, who has been residing in Saylorsburg, PA since 1999, condemned the horrific terrorist attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport.

Fethullah Gülen condemns the terrorist attack in Gaziantep, Turkey

I condemn, in the strongest terms, the barbaric terrorist attack on attendees of a wedding ceremony in Gaziantep, Turkey that took the lives of more than fifty citizens, including children, and wounded many others. This is not just an attack on the attendees of a wedding, but also an attack on the solidarity of people of Anatolia, including Turks, Kurds, Arabs, Boshniaks, Albanians, Georgians and Circassians and others who lived as neighbors for centuries.

Nigeria: Post-2015 Agenda – Addressing the Inadequacies in Women’s Rights

The Public Relations Officer of the Istanbul branch, Ms. Fatima Demirtas, told THISDAY about Kimse Yok Mu’s collaboration with the Nizamiye hospital in Abuja to provide 1,000 cataract surgeries for indigent Nigerians. The NGO would pay for the cost of each unit of materials used for the surgeries.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey Has Stolen The Future Of A Medical Student From Uganda

Japanese journalists express concern over Turkish gov’t pressure on critical media

Parents react to auditor, police raid of Hizmet-inspired school

Who put those 4.5 million dollars there?

Kimse Yok Mu helps flood victims in Tajikistan

An Experience of Co-Existence: Panel on the Example of Istanbul and Şanlıurfa

Yamanlar Schools students sweep AMC 8

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News