Erdoğan gov’t signals change to allow re-trial of officers


Date posted: December 29, 2013

 ANKARA
Members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) have signaled that the government may propose an amendment to the law to allow the re-trial of military officers who were convicted of plotting a military coup against the government.

Speaking in his hometown of Yozgat, newly appointed Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ said: “There may be some wrongdoings with regard to the law. This happened yesterday and it is happening today. [The wrongdoings] happened to some in the past, and today [they] are being done to others. Tomorrow they can happen to yet another [group].”

“What we need to do is to stand together against wrongs and acts that may be in violation of the Constitution and the law,” he added.

The AK Party’s parliamentary group deputy chairman, Mustafa Elitaş, speaking to the Hürriyet daily, said the government could change the law to allow the re-trial of hundreds of military officers.

Both comments have come after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s senior political adviser Yalçın Akdoğan wrote in an op-ed piece that convicted officers had been framed by groups within the judiciary.

He suggested that the same group is now allegedly orchestrating a widespread corruption probe against the government.

At public rallies, Erdoğan has been floating a claim that a gang within the state is attacking his government in the name of corruption. He claimed he has evidence with regard to this group and wanted to expose this evidence soon.

Erdoğan has not offered any evidence so far indicating that such a group acting in violation of the law operates within the judiciary or police force. His government, however, has engaged in the summary dismissal of senior police chiefs, some 150 of them so far, who are involved in the investigation as ordered by prosecutors. The government also replaced some 1,000 police officers in a mass purge of the İstanbul Police Department.

The gang is a veiled reference to people close to the Hizmet (Gülen) Movement. Mr. Gülen himself issued a statement through his lawyer that he has nothing to do with corruption investigation.

Opposition parties have dismissed the gang claims flat-out, saying that Erdoğan is simply trying to distract the public from the damaging corruption case by inventing villains.

“If you are looking for a gang, just gather the members of Cabinet, and you will see the gang there,” Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the leader of the main opposition Republican Peoples’ Party (CHP), said.

Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli slammed Erdoğan for labeling the police a “gang.” He said the government is trying to cover up a dirty corruption scheme by picking a fight with Hizmet. “He will not succeed,” Bahçeli said.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 29, 2013


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu extends a hand to Syrian refugees in Turkey

Nearly 1.6 million Syrians have fled to Turkey, and they rely on support for their basic needs from the government and civilian volunteers, many of them motivated by their Muslim faith. Kimse Yok Mu is one Turkish nongovernmental aid organization that sponsors a refugee feeding program near the Turkish-Syrian border.

Sweep these [journalists] off the floor

Sevgi Akarçeşme, former editor in chief of Today’s Zaman, recalls the night when the police raided the building of the most important and independent opposition newspaper in Turkey. «What happened to journalists today» she warns « can happen to citizens tomorrow».

Lawyer files criminal complaint against Gülen

An İstanbul-based lawyer filed a criminal complaint on Wednesday against Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, with allegations such as the establishment of a criminal organization, organizing an attempt to overthrow the government, organized fraud and abuse of duty as a civil servant.

Parents of Nigerian-Turkish International College students decry call to close schools

Mr. Abudulahi, a professor, added that the schools were playing very significant role in the development of education in Nigeria and should not be closed. He said that the school was one of the most secured in the country, adding that even in the hit of Boko Haram activities in the North ast, it remained open in Yobe. He further added that so long as the NTIC had operated within the laws of Nigeria, it should be allowed to remain in operation.

Turkish schools behind Turkey’s soft power in Middle East

2 May 2012 / MİNHAC ÇELİK, İSTANBUL Marco Padovan, Italian businessman and a member of the Turkish-Italian Trade and Cooperation Association, said during a round table meeting held in İstanbul on Wednesday that Turkish schools play a crucial role in the increase of Turkey’s soft power in the Middle East and North Africa. Speaking during […]

International Panel: The Virgin Mary in the Holy Books [in Istanbul]

Turkey Catholic Communities, Roma Tevere Instituto and the Intercultural Dialogue Platform (IDP) are organizing an international meeting, which will be held to study how the Virgin Mary has been approached in the holy texts, both in Christianity and Islam. The panel will be held on November 1-2, 2013 at the WOW İstanbul Convention Center, Turkey

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Kimse Yok Mu and UN launch relief project for Syrian refugees

Accused Turkish Cleric Assails President on Anniversary of Coup Attempt in WSJ Interview

Dozens of Dutch-Turkish businesses ‘threatened’ after failed coup

“We will root out every single Gülenist from the Balkans,” Erdoğan says in Serbia

Hizmet, Erdoğan and the US

The unwanted truth: the Muslim enemies of Islam

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News