Ruling AKP officials downplay tension with Gülen movement


Date posted: November 22, 2013

Despite all the signals to the contrary, senior executives of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) said they will not allow for conflict between their party and the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement, while also warning that nobody should try to take advantage of such an imaginative clash.

Pre-existing tension between the government and Gülen’s movement (also known as the “Community,” “Cemaat” in Turkish, or “Service,” “Hizmet” in English) has escalated after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced plans to abolish private examination prep schools, many of which were financed and run by Gülen’s followers. The tension has recently peaked, with Erdoğan describing the group’s objection to his government’s plans as “a smear campaign.”

In an interview with Anadolu Agency, AKP’s Central Decision and Executive Board (MKYK) member Bülent Gedikli first of all noted that their reform of prep schools was not a recently drafted plan and it should be regarded as a transformation of prep schools to private schools instead of a closure.

“There may be some objections to and criticisms of this, but this is the decision that has been made. Our Prime Minister has provided sufficient explanations on the matter,” Gedikli told Anadolu.

“This process will continue. Discussing this as a fight between the AKP and the Cemaat is already a mistake and it doesn’t go anywhere. This should be discussed on the basis of an education system, and in this manner a healthy conclusion can be reached.

An approach suggesting that the AKP and the Cemaat are fighting with each other may be desirable for some circles, but we never allow such a thing. Nobody should attempt to fish in troubled waters. No opportunity will be offered to them and they cannot find whatever they are looking for; they will only be left empty-handed,” Gedikli said.

AKP’s deputy parliamentary group chair Mustafa Elitaş, meanwhile, ruled out assumptions that the prep school move would adversely affect the AKP’s performance in upcoming local elections in March 2014.

In its practices, the AKP has so far never entertained election-related sentiment in policy formulation nor in what step to take next, Elitaş said in response to a question.

“I believe that it [the prep school move] will bring in votes to us,” Elitaş further said.

Gülen’s supporters say they number in millions while some AKP executives, speaking with Radikal daily newspaper on condition of anonymity, said they estimated that the percentage of Gülen supporters among voters of the AKP was only one percent.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 22, 2013


Related News

Cingöz: Kimse Yok Mu welcomes all auditors from state institutions

İsmail Cingöz, president of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), which is affiliated with the Hizmet movement inspired by prominent scholar Fethullah Gülen, explained to Today’s Zaman that the organization has contributed to social and international peace since the day of its foundation.

2014: a difficult year?

Turkey’s political life has entered a zone of turbulence. Some people were already accusing the governing team of being time worn, which is only normal after 11 consecutive years in power.

Dismissed after coup attempt, teacher detained during visit to imprisoned relative

Malatya teacher C.K., earlier dismissed from his/her post as part of the government’s post-coup purge, was taken into custody during a visit to his/her jailed relative on Saturday.

Yet another woman faces detention at hospital immediately after giving birth

Police are waiting outside a room in Ankara Memorial Hospital to detain Feyza Yazıcı, who gave birth to a premature baby on Friday, as part of the Turkish government’s witch-hunt against the Gülen movement.

Abant Platform meeting launches with identity debates in Turkey

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, ABANT/BOLU/TURKEY The Abant Platform started its 28th meeting on Friday at Lake Abant with the participation of over a hundred intellectuals, academics, journalists and pundits from different ideological backgrounds to discuss the current issues in Turkey. The first theme of the meeting was on Turkey’s issues of identity. Participants agreed that the misinterpretation […]

President Erdoğan envies the Hizmet according to prominent columnist

Subsequent to the corruption probe the AK Party had denied the charges, blaming the Hizmet movement accusing it of orchestrating the probe. “This is when the antagonizing rhetoric started,” according to Alkan. President Erdoğan has in fact openly vowed to bring down the movement and anyone it perceives as being affiliated with it.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Deniz Baykal visits Turkish school in Morocco

3 journalists detained after interview with jailed Gülen-linked businessman

Norway reports 409 Turkish asylum seekers in past 18 months

Samanyolu schools to sue 3 government officials over unlawful search warrant

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Turkish school shelters mountaineer in Nepal

‘Ankara no longer producing laws compatible with EU norms’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News