Military coup documents contain plans to prevent works of Hizmet movement


Date posted: December 21, 2012

MUSTAFA GÜRLEK, İSTANBUL

Documents retrieved from the General Staff hard disks also feature plans to prevent the works of the Hizmet movement (a.k.a Gulen movement), inspired by the renowned Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

In the documents, the General Staff’s Information Support Unit discussed how to bring the financial sources of the Hizmet movement under control so that the movement would be unable to work. The documents also suggested that a conflict that would emerge for leadership after Gülen dies will lead the movement to collapse.

The document features the signatures and names of Col. Fuat Selvi, Col. Sedat Özüer, Maj. Gen. İhsan Balabanlı and Lt. Gen. Hüseyin Nusret Taşdeler. “The document has been prepared to evaluate the activities the Gülen [Hizmet] group is supposed to be engaged in in the future,” the document stated.

In attempts to prevent the Hizmet movement from working, the General Staff suggested that its harmony with the US and other countries should be damaged. “The US should quit its policy of moderate Islam; documents and required information should be seized and shared with the media to show the real faces of Gülen followers to the people; and a widespread conviction should be created in Turkey and Muslim countries that the movement is controlled by the US and serving the purpose of imperialism,” the document noted, and added that schools and other educational institutions currently serving in roughly 50 countries worldwide should be shut down.

Source: Today’s Zaman  20 December 2012


Related News

What else should Gülen say?

Fethullah Gülen’s stance on corruption and anti-democratic practices has never changed. Osman Şimşek, the editor of herkul.org, which broadcasts and publishes Gülen’s speeches, recently published a letter that Gülen sent to Erdoğan in May 2006. In the letter, Gülen warns the prime minister that his government had begun to deviate from its democratic line.

Judge says judiciary still under tutelage, implies gov’t responsible

Even the simplest court decisions are subject to discussion and the trust in the judiciary has been badly damaged. Everyone, including the judiciary and executive bodies, should put forward documents and evidence related to the claims [of the existence of a parallel state],” Constitutional Court President Haşim Kılıç stated.

Nazarbayev says Kazakh-Turk schools belong to Kazakhstan, no extradition of teachers

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said on Thursday that Kazakh-Turk high schools that are allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement belong to Kazakhstan and that Turkish teachers working at those schools will not be extradited to Turkey unless they are proven guilty of a crime.

600 complaints filed alleging slander, libel against Gülen

A total of 600 complaints have been filed against those who have slandered and libeled Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17 of last year.

UK Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee Hearing on Gülen and the Hizmet Movement

The UK Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee is examining the bilateral relationship between the UK and Turkey, focusing on rights and freedoms as well as how Turkish foreign and security policies relate to those of the UK. The inquiry is ongoing.

Dr. Esposito: The Gulen Movement Introduces Turkey To The World

AYTEN ÇİFTÇİ İSTANBUL – Oct.9, 2011 John L. Esposito, an American Professor of Islam, praised the Gulen Movement and the Turkish Schools operating around the world. He said: “ They have one goal. That is to enlighten the world with education. This is why we need the Gülen Movement in this age.” Dr. John L. […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Prof. İzzettin Doğan: Ramadan is opportunity to get to know Islam

US says Turkey favors Sunni Islam over other creeds

Islamic scholar Gülen sues interior minister over coup accusation

Fethullah Gulen’s brother detained in Erdogan’s ongoing crackdown after coup

New Constitution expected to eradicate remnants of Feb. 28 coup

Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

Scholars to Address Nigerian Conference

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News