Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal


Date posted: March 8, 2008

METIN ARSLAN

The Supreme Court of Appeals has upheld the acquittal of Fethullah Gülen, first issued by the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court.

The 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals reached the decision unanimously, stating that there was no inconsistency in the ruling of the 11th High Criminal Court, adding that it found the prosecutor’s appeal to be unsubstantiated.

Gülen lawyer Abdülkadir Aksoy said they learned of the court’s decision from newspapers. “We were not expecting a different result since the approval of the present verdict was a natural outcome of the law,” he said, alluding to the acquittal reached by the 11th High Criminal Court by reversing the Ankara 2nd State Security Court’s previous decision, made in 2003 to delay the verdict. The court’s decision emphasized that the claims against Mr. Gülen were “unreal and inconclusive.”

The members of the Supreme Court of Appeals deliberated on the appeal made by the prosecutor at a meeting last week. Aksoy stressed that they had not yet been notified of the verdict. “The verdict of the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court, which had concluded that the crimes attributed to my client were unsubstantiated and that he never got involved in any action to undermine the constitutional system, has been approved by the Supreme Court of Appeals. Truth has prevailed once again,” he said.

Gülen’s lawyers, including Aksoy, appealed to the 11th High Criminal Court in March 2006, asking that the court’s decision to delay a final verdict be overturned with the demand that Gülen be acquitted, adding that his activities did not constitute a crime. Prior to the Supreme Court of Appeals’ approval, the court, based on an amendment made to Law no. 3713, overturned the Ankara 2nd State Security Court’s decision, dated March 10, 2003.

The lawsuit was first filed against Gülen in 2000 by the chief prosecutor of the Ankara State Security Court (DGM). Gülen was tried under Counterterrorism Law no. 7 on charges of “establishing an illegal organization to undermine the secular structure of the state with the aim of replacing it with a state based on Shariah law as well as engaging in various activities to this end.”

Cüneyt Toraman, a lawyer, said the Supreme Court of Appeals was right to uphold Gülen’s acquittal. “There was no other option. The point I cannot understand is why it took the Supreme Court of Appeals this long to issue its decision. It should have issued its decision long ago. Gülen was tried under nonsensical charges. Such a lawsuit cannot be filed against any individual in a country governed by the rule of law,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 8, 2008


Related News

Erdoğan government opposes democratic values: detained Turkish journalist

The government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is falsely accusing anybody that opposes it of treason, a prominent Turkish journalist currently detained in an Istanbul prison

Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

The row between followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement of and the Turkish government took another dimension after a daily revealed Nov. 28 that a decision from the National Security Council (MGK) recommending an action plan against the Gülen movement be signed by the government in 2004.

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov.

Statement on Erdogan Government’s shameful action against Fethullah Gulen

Mr. Fethullah Gulen for his decades of selfless service in peacefully promoting democracy, education and dialogue, Erdogan government is using false charges to oppress and harass its own people.

New Level of Witch Hunt: Relatives are Targeted in Turkey

On July 26, Turkish police stormed the house of Muhammet Cakir, a lawyer wanted for arrest on coup charges. Failing to find the lawyer at home, they detained his 86-year-old mother to force her son to surrender. She has been kept as hostage since.

Turkey seizes another baklava maker over coup charges, appoints deputy governor as caretaker

An Istanbul court ruled that the state-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) takes over the administration of Hasan Gultekin Gaziantep Baklavacisi, an 8-store baklava chain. The decision was made as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement. Turkish government has already taken over more than 800 companies either by confiscating or seizing them.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen issued the following statement on Turkey’s extradition request

Egypt’s Turkish schools reject Akşam and A Haber TV reports

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen rejects any link to graft probe

Torture – Turkish prisoner says tied to chair, pushed into sea while under custody

65-year-old grandmother looking after twin babies as mother, father in jail for 5 months

Arbil closer to İstanbul than Baghdad

Muslims, Jews start new tradition in Forest Hills

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News