British Foreign Secretary praises Turkish schools in Afghanistan

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett
British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett


Date posted: March 30, 2007

EMİNE KART, AP , ANKARA, LONDON

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett and Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül have discussed educational projects that Turkey has been carrying out in Afghanistan, winning the praise of the visiting official, according to information obtained from diplomatic sources.

“As you know, during the Taliban regime, girls were not allowed to attend school. Turkey has opened schools to educate these lost girls. I visited the opening of this school in Kabul, and 1,500 students will receive an education at that school,” Gül said to Beckett, referring to a February visit to the Afghan Girls High School.

Beckett in turn said: “I didn’t know Turkey was playing such an important role in Afghanistan. Your disclosures are very important and show Turkey’s role and importance.” The first Afghan-Turkish school was opened in 1996 in Afghanistan; they now number six.

Gül said Afghanistan’s leader, Hamid Karzai, had demanded more schools from him as he noted that that the Turkish Armed Forces would assume command of International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for a third time.

Source: Excerpted from Today’s Zaman, 28 March 2007

 


Related News

‘Selam’ – story of teachers in Turkish schools abroad to hit movie theaters in March

AYHAN HÜLAGÜ, İSTANBUL Director Levent Demirkale’s latest feature film, “Selam” (Greeting), which depicts the true stories of selfless teachers in Turkish schools abroad, will hit movie theaters in Turkey on March 29.The first-ever Turkish production filmed on three continents and four countries, “Selam” focuses on the stories of three teachers — Harun, Zehra and Adem […]

Fuat Avni claims Gülen-inspired schools to be closed due to fabricated auditing standards

A government whistleblower who tweets under the pseudonym Fuat Avni has claimed a new wave of police raids will be conducted on private and prep schools intended to shut them down temporarily or permanently based on fabricated auditing standards before the Nov. 1 snap election.

Kimse Yok Mu first to respond to call for Crimea

Crimea Foundation’s board member and Crimean Turks Culture and Solidarity Foundation’s director in Seydisehir, Konya, Mustafa Sarikamis said they are to provide food aid to one thousand families following the talks with Kimse Yok Mu Foundation official.

Gabon is very satisfied with Turkish school

20 July 2012 / MİNHAC ÇELİK, İSTANBUL President Ali Bongo Ondimba of Gabon has said his country is very satisfied with a school opened by Turkish volunteers there and called on volunteers to open more schools. “We are very satisfied that Turkey opened a school in Gabon. This is very encouraging and needs to be […]

Turkish Schools excel in South Africa

A total of 159 students from Star College had participated in last year’s matric exams amongst a total of 654,723 students across the country. The college’s 100% success rate at the 2013 National Senior Certificate was widely acclaimed by the country’s press.

Ishik University To Educate Students About the Threats of [the so-called] Islamic State

The President of Ishik University Prof. Ahmet Oztas mentioned that the staff and instructors of the university are strongly against the message of IS. They echo the official line of Gulen, that believes that Islamic State must be fought. He emphasized that IS militants are the enemy of all humanity, Turkey, Kurdistan, US and democracy, and it is the duty of all people to fight against them to the best of their ability.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Amir Hussain on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Said-i Nursi: An Ottoman Scholar in Turkish Republic

Atyrau Kazakh-Turk High Schools celebrates its 20th anniversary

Hakan Şükür’s resignation

Turks and Egyptians tight-knit at Turkish Olympiads Egypt Finals

The last refuge of losers: deporting a journalist

Tanzanian Minister hails Turkey for continued support in education

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News