Kurdish intellectuals denounce attack on Şırnak educational institution


Date posted: May 2, 2012

24 April 2012 / AYTEN ÇİFTÇİ/ALİ GÜVEN, İSTANBUL/ŞIRNAK

Kurdish intellectuals have joined critics of a suspected outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) attack on a building, which hosts a private university prep course in Şırnak on Saturday, saying the masterminds of such attacks will not achieve their goals.

The building, where weekend and evening courses to assist students preparing for national exams are held, was attacked by an unidentified person with a Kalashnikov rifle in the district of Cizre on Saturday, leaving a security guard wounded.

The attack occurred on the premises of a FEM school late on Saturday as students were leaving an evening lecture. Eyewitnesses told the Cihan news agency that the attacker was a man wearing women’s clothing who shot randomly at the building with a Kalashnikov rifle. While no one was killed in the attack, a security guard sustained a shoulder wound and was immediately taken to a hospital. The PKK, which has waged a bloody war in the Southeast since 1984, is believed to have been behind the attack.

Orhan Miroğlu, a Kurdish intellectual and writer, said through attacks like the one on Saturday, the PKK aims to create the impression that it is the dominant power in the region, but that this is misleading.

“Every such attack shows that people of this mentality are increasingly being cornered and that their world gets narrower,” he said, calling on the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) and nongovernmental organizations in the region to raise their voices against the PKK.

According to Ümit Fırat, a Kurdish intellectual and writer, the PKK does not want any other group to have influence in the region, which is why it attacks institutions like the FEM school, which was established by volunteers from the Hizmet (Gülen) movement.

İbrahim Güçlü, another Kurdish intellectual, told Today’s Zaman that it is out of the question to approve of attacks like the one on Saturday.

“Through acts of violence, you can only damage Kurdish rights and freedoms. You should abandon these actions and act with common sense. Kurds should act by saying ‘stop’ to these attacks,” said Güçlü.

The reason for Saturday’s attack, according to Kurdish intellectual Esad Canan, is to scare the Hizmet movement, damage stability in the region and stir tension.

Cizre FEM school Principal Fahri Koca held a news conference with respected opinion leaders and representatives from nongovernmental organizations on Monday where he said he will not condemn those behind the attack but hopes God shows them the right way.

“We are determined to live in line with the values we believe in and promote love and brotherhood,” Koca said.

He said the attack on the Cizre FEM school came at a time when the most successful students in Şırnak — according to the recently announced results of the Transition to Higher Education Examination (YGS) — took this course.

Abdullah Demir, the leader of the five biggest clans in Şırnak and who spoke at the same news conference, said the bullets fired at the FEM building were actually fired at the future of Şırnak.

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Şırnak deputy Mehmet Emin Dindar described the attack as “inhumane,” noting that the goal of this attack is to ensure that Şırnak’s youths do not have access to education.

“The goal of such attacks is to ensure that people in Şırnak remain ignorant and cannot differentiate between good and bad,” he said.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/news-278424-kurdish-intellectuals-denounce-attack-on-sirnak-educational-institution.html


Related News

Which Turks hate Israel most?

Mustafa Akyol There was an interesting story in the Daily News last week, about the cancelling of a Yuval Ron concert in Istanbul. Mr. Ron, an award-wining Israeli musician, was supposed to play his tunes in a Sultanahmet hall, but the event was cancelled at the last minute due to protests, and, allegedly, some “threats.” […]

Second alleged disappearance in a week: Philosophy teacher goes missing

Only a day after an Ankara man was reportedly abducted, a philosophy teacher went missing on Apr 1, according to his wife. The 41-year-old lecturer, Onder Asan mysteriously disappeared on Apr 1, his wife Fatma Asan cried out on Twitter.

Turkish official says 252 companies seized over Gülen links

The companies are alleged to be connected to the Gülen movement, a civic initiative based in Turkey, with the government coining the term “FETÖ” to designate the movement a terrorist organization despite the lack of any court verdict to that effect. A court last week in fact ruled out the existence of such an organization named “FETÖ.”

Tables Have Turned for Some Media in Turkish Crackdown

Mr. Kenes says he should have been more outspoken in defense of fellow journalists when the government started targeting its critics more than a decade ago. “Frankly, we did not realize Mr. Erdogan’s real intentions,” said Mr. Kenes, who was convicted last year of insulting the president on Twitter and given a 21-month suspended prison sentence. “When I look at my history, I criticize myself for not showing more sympathy for their cases.”

Turkish authorities deny release to critically ill cancer patient arrested on Gülen links

Yusuf Özmen, who was arrested in March to serve a sentence on a Gülen-linked conviction despite having stage 4 cancer, remains in prison despite a medical report saying he is almost totally disabled.

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

Turkey must release two men detained over suspected links to a cleric blamed for a 2016 coup attempt and pay them compensation for arbitrary detention, a UN body said on Wednesday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

CHP: Anti-Hizmet ops were part of agreement between Erdoğan, military

ECtHR urges Albania not to deport Gülen follower to Turkey

Why Gulen Should Not Be Extradited

Rumi Forum bestows Peace and Dialogue awards 2013

Imam Sytari praises Gulen as a global thinker

Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

KYM volunteer doctors distribute Ramadan aid in Kenya

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News