Boat carrying Turkish asylum seekers capsizes off Greece, killing 3 children and 3 others


Date posted: July 30, 2018

At least 6 people, including 3 children, were killed after a boat carrying Turkish asylum seekers capsized in the Aegean Sea on Sunday.

Media reported that the boat was carrying 16 people when it departed Turkish coasts for the Greek island of Lesbos. Two women, identified by their identical initials, S.A.; three children, Y.B.A., B.Y., N.Y.; and another person, G.Y., were reported dead while a man, believed to be one of two organizers of the trip, went missing after their boat capsized off the shores of Ayvalik, Turkey. The remaining 9 were rescued by Turkish coastal guards.

Dismissed teacher Hasan Aksoy’s wife Sena and his son Y. Baha drowned in Aegean Sea on Sunday.

State-run Anadolu news agency said the passengers of the boat are believed to be suspected members of the Gulen movement fleeing the country to Lesbos. Dogan news agency said the group includes a teacher, a doctor, a jewelry store owner,

Kronos news portal reported that Hasan Aksoy, one of the rescued whose wife, Sena Aksoy, is among those killed has been taken into custody over his alleged links to Gülen group.

Mayor denies funeral vehicle to 3 babies killed in the Aegean Sea

Meanwhile, the three children that were killed in the boat tragedy were denied funeral vehicle, according to Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) deputy Omer Faruk Gergerlioglu.

“The three refugees at the forensic science hospital, identified as Gokhan Yeni, Burhan Yeni and Nurbanu Yeni, were denied funeral vehicle. I phoned up to the funeral director who told me that Bursa mayor said: ‘No vehicle to be assigned for FETO members’,” Gergerlioglu tweeted.

“This is a scandal and a disgrace. This is inhumane..!” he added.

Nurbanu Yeni and Burhan Yeni.

Thousands of people flee Turkey in face of gov’t crackdown

Turkish government accuses Gulen followers of masterminding the failed coup and calls them FETO, short for the alleged Fethullahist Terrorist Organization. The group denies terrorist activities.

Thousands of people have fled Turkey due to a massive witch-hunt launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against sympathizers of the Gülen movement in the wake of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The government accuses the movement of masterminding the coup while the latter denies involvement.

More than 150,000 people have been detained and some 90,000 including academics, judges, doctors, teachers, lawyers, students, policemen and many from different backgrounds have been put in pre-trial detention since last summer.

Many tried to escape Turkey via illegal ways as the government cancelled their passports like thousands of others.

On July 19, a woman and her three children died after a boat carrying a group of Turkish asylum seekers capsized in the Evros River while seeking to escape the post-coup crackdown in Turkey.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , July 29, 2018


Related News

Istanbul court re-arrests former Zaman reporter minutes before leaving prison

Ayşenur Parıldak, a former reporter from the now-closed Zaman daily, was released early on Tuesday but was re-arrested by the same court hours before leaving prison upon a prosecutor objected to the initial ruling.

In Turkey today, mother who delivered baby yesterday detained

Fadime Günay, who delivered a baby yesterday has been detained today. Although she was in hospital to give birth, police awaited at the hospital to detain her. She was brought to the courthouse with her one-day-old baby and her mother.

Turkish gov’t profiling went on until 2013, report claims

The Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals whom it believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups and monitored their activities up until 2013, a Turkish daily reported on Monday. According to the report, the profiling of individuals did not end in 2010 as previously claimed, but it continued between 2011 […]

Cyber attacks on news websites threaten freedom of press, expression

Starting mid-February, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has been severely penalizing a number of news TV channels known for their anti-government broadcasts. Those channels, which include Samanyolu Haber TV and Bugün TV, were mostly penalized on the grounds that their programs were biased. The channels have been broadcasting reports about claims of corruption and bribery that have implicated some government members.

Truth and reconciliation in post-Erdoğan era

One way to repair the damage dealt by the Erdoğan government in the last couple of years and to provide some form of closure for the dark period of Erdoğan’s third term in government is to set up a truth and reconciliation commission. Without discounting the role of the criminal justice system, a truth commission can be utilized in a complementary role to help citizens move on with their lives in Turkey after colossal wrongdoings in the government.

Human rights associations up in arms over deputy’s remarks on torture allegations

In an open letter to the Turkish Parliament, six Turkey-based human rights associations on Thursday criticized recent remarks of ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy Mehmet Metiner, who said the government would ignore allegations of torture and mistreatment if victims were sympathizers of the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen has strongly rejected comparison to Iran’s Khomeini time and again

Meal and food support for Somalian people during Ramadan

Turkey tries to trap Obama with extradition demand [of Mr. Gülen]

Minister Yazici Visits Turkish Schools in Yemen

Five global challenges: how might Hizmet respond?

Muslim Leader Condemns Synagogue Killings

The Middle East and Turkish civil Islam’s transformative influence on Islamism

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News