Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong


Date posted: April 20, 2018

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci in a televised interview for T7 admitted for the first time that the arrest and deportation of the six Turkish men suspected of their links with Fetullah Gulen’s movement was wrong. Thaci has earlier publicly endorsed the extraditions, saying the six Turks were a danger to the fledgling country’s national security.

“This process should not have happened under any circumstances. The action against them was wrong. Relevant mechanisms should explain in details of what has happened with the deportation of the Turkish men,” Thaci said contradicting his earlier public stance. President Thaci also disagreed with as he said opinions of Turkish president Erdogan addressed against Kosovo PM Ramush Haradinaj. Erdogan on 31 March had warned that Haradinaj would “pay” after he dismissed his interior minister and intelligence chief for deporting without his permission six Turks with ties to the movement of Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Erdogan blames for a failed coup attempt against his government.

Thaci said that he finds Erdogan’s statements “unnecessary.”

“I don’t agree with the opinions addressed towards Kosovo leadership. Kosovo is not a place neither for Gulenism, nor Erdoganism,” said Thaci.

The six Turkish nationals were arrested in Kosovo in March at Turkey’s request over alleged links to schools financed by the Gulen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup. Following the arrest and deportation Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj sacked his interior minister and secret service chief for failing to inform him about the arrests.

 

Source: Gazeta Express , April 19, 2018


Related News

Condemnation and condolence message on occasion of the terror attack against a school bus in Mogadishu, Somalia

The terror attack in Somalia’s city of Mogadishu on a school bus, which resulted in the loss of five beautiful friends and the injuries of others, among whom were school-aged children, has once again wrenched our hearts already wounded by recent tragedies.

The story of the boy who cried wolf

The Sabah newspaper greeted the news of the 10-hour National Security Council (MGK) meeting with the headline “Parallel structure added to red book.” But this was, of course, a complete lie. For a long time now, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been indicating that the Hizmet movement — which he refers to as the “parallel structure” — would be officially added to the National Security Strategy Concept Paper as a “domestic threat.” This is a part of his personal vendetta and Erdoğan has kept up this propaganda war even as president of Turkey.

Turkish Schools Struggle to Exist in Afghanistan

Selcuk Gultasli, May 12, 2001 Turkish schools founded by Turkish entrepreneurs in Afghanistan in 1995 are now struggling to stay in the country after being accused by the Taliban administration of spreading Turkish nationalism and making pan-Turkic propaganda. The Taliban administration, which is not recognized by Turkey, has been applying one of the most radical […]

Albanian parliament speaker visits Turkish school after Erdoğan calls for its closure

Albania’s Parliament Speaker Ilir Meta visited a Turkish school in the capital tirana on Friday to send a message to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who called for the closure of Turkish schools in Albania during his visit last week, stirring debate among Albanian politicians and journalists, an Albanian daily wrote on Sunday.

TÜBİTAK changes olympiad scoring system, penalizes private schools

The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) has changed the scoring system it uses to evaluate student grades in science olympiads it sponsors, giving private schools a smaller coefficient and thereby placing students from these schools at a disadvantage.

CSOs slam smear campaign against Hizmet, call on PM to stop hate speech

A large-scale dark propaganda campaign has been conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and also well-known businessmen were implicated.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Award ceremony cancellation on Parliament’s agenda

Bridges of love extending from Konya to Kenya

Turkish intelligence abducts Gülen-linked expats in Malaysia: relatives

Faces of Manisa prisoners rendered unrecognizable due to torture, lawyer says

Hundreds gather in front of Silivri Prison to protest media crackdown

Turkey’s spying imams also active in Norway: monitoring group

Filipino ambassador hails Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News