Gülen calls on int’l community to pressure Turkey over rights violations


Date posted: February 16, 2018

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has made a call to the international community, asking them to warn Turkish authorities to take the necessary measures to restore the rule of law and protect fundamental human rights in the country.

Gülen’s message came following the loss of two Turkish families, the Abdürrezzak and Doğan families, in the Maritsa River earlier this week while they were fleeing the Turkish government’s persecution of followers of the Gülen movement, which is accused by the government of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The Abdürrezzak family had two children, while the Doğan family had one.

Gülen and the movement strongly deny any involvement in the coup attempt.

The Islamic scholar said he was devastated upon learning of the deaths of the members of the two families in the Maritsa River.

“The unprecedented witch-hunt in Turkey continues in a way leaving no opportunity for innocent people to lead decent lives. As a result of human rights violations, which have been condemned by all human rights monitoring organizations, mainly by UN rapporteurs, citizens of this country who have not committed the slightest act of evil are being obliged to leave their homeland by taking many risks,” Gülen said in his message.

Thousands of people have fled Turkey due to a massive witch-hunt launched by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government against sympathizers of the Gülen movement in the wake of the failed coup in July 2016.

Some 150,000 people have been detained, and nearly 60,000 including academics, judges, doctors, teachers, lawyers, students, policemen and others have been put in pretrial detention since the coup attempt. Meanwhile, 150,000 people have lost their jobs in the government’s post-coup purge of state institutions.

Gülen said the international community should carefully note that while Turkey boasts about hosting refugees from other countries, it puts the lives of its own citizens at risk by forcing them to take perilous journeys to leave the country.

“The international community …. should warn the Turkish authorities to ensure the restoration of law and the protection of fundamental human rights in the country,” added Gülen.

The Turkish government proudly talks about opening the country’s doors to Syrian refugees who have fled the civil war in their country, and Turkey is still hosting around 3 million refugees from Syria alone. However, thousands of Turkish people have been forced to become refugees in various countries due to the government’s ongoing witch-hunt against the Gülen movement.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , February 16, 2018


Related News

Erdogan plotted Turkey purge before coup, say Brussels spies

The European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gulen’s extradition from the US. The huge wave of arrests was already previously prepared.

Hizmet and self-criticism

Fethullah Gülen stated a few days ago that he made a mistake by supporting the Justice and Development Party (AKP) during the 2010 referendum campaign. Even though, as of today, I do not think that supporting the constitutional amendment package was wrong in itself, it seems that this package has paved the way for the AKP’s growing semi-despotism.

Gülen withdraws libel complaint after housewife apologizes

Prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on Tuesday withdrew a complaint of libel against a housewife who had insulted him with treason in one of her tweets but later apologized, saying she had been influenced by the language of the political leadership.

Does Erdogan really want Gulen in Turkey?

General assumption is that Erdogan is indeed playing a cynical game with the Gulen issue, and also involving the United States in this, in a populist effort aimed at his own constituency in the lead-up to the presidential elections in August, where he is expected to run.

A Turkish couple spent their wedding day feeding 4,000 Syrian refugees

Hatice Avci, a spokesperson for aid organisation Kimse Yok Mu, told i100.co.uk that last Thursday the newlyweds donated the savings their families had put together for a party to share their wedding celebrations with the refugees living in and around the town of Kilis.

Critics locked up at home as President Erdogan arrives in India

“I have no family to look after me here, and an arrest warrant has been issued for me in Turkey. All three of my business partners and the CEO of my company have been jailed in Turkey. I lead the life of a fugitive,” he says. Salman is wary of providing details about himself or his family, and refuses to be photographed. “My wife and daughter are still there, I don’t want to put them in trouble,” he says.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey: Post-coup prisoner says threatened with rape, beaten almost to death

Nigerian daily: Turkey at risk of becoming polarised because of Erdogan

Pundits: plans to close down Turkish schools abroad arbitrary, political vandalism

Turkic American Convention kicks off with opening gala cruise

Gülen says many would like to be in detained journalists’ shoes

Attempting to discredit Gülen by linking him to Israel

Erzurum people call Minister Ala to apologize Gülen for his remarks

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News