Gülen-linked teachers, businessman detained in Afghanistan


Date posted: December 14, 2017

Afghan security officials detained at least four people affiliated with the Gulen movement on Tuesday, according to several media outlets.

One Afghan and three Turkish teachers working at the Afghan Turk CAG Educational NGO (ATCE), a chain of schools claimed to be linked to the movement, detained, Reuters said early in the day.

“Around 7 a.m., four of our teachers traveling in two different cars were picked up by (Afghan intelligence),” ATCE’s chairman was quoted as saying. Turkish online news portal TR724 identified three of the teachers as Mesut Vardak, Önder Akkuşçu and Yılmaz Aytan.

Meanwhile, Euronews said Turkish businessman Sami Yavuz was also rounded up in Kabul around the same time. TR724 said Sami’s wife Zehra was also detained along with him and taken to an undisclosed location where she was later released on the grounds that she was not on the list of “wanted.”

Later in the day, Afghan intelligence officials raided a high school and a girls’ dormitory linked to ATCE, looking for another teacher.

The incident came hours after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani left the country to attend an Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit in Istanbul, Reuters said.

Turkish government holds the Gulen movement responsible for the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement. More than 126,000 people have been detained over ties to the movement in Turkey so far while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier called on foreign governments to punish Gulen followers in their own countries. Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Georgia and Myanmar handed over academics, businessmen and school principals upon the Turkish government’s request even though some of those victims already had refugee status with the UN like Kacmaz family.

Source: Turkey Purge , December 13, 2017


Related News

Not appearing in the worst selfie in history

For a while now, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been busy with shutting down Turkish schools — affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen — in 160 countries which were opened thanks to the small contributions and tears of the people of this country.

86-year-old Gülen-linked philanthropist arrested on terror (!) charges

Eighty-six-year-old businessman Celal Afşar was arrested on Thursday along with his daughter, son-in-law and two others in Niğde province as part of an investigation into the faith-based Gülen movement, the tr724 news website reported.

Kalashnikov-carrying police raid Gülen-inspired girls’ dormitory

Police officers carrying Kalashnikov rifles conducted a raid at a girls’ school dormitory in eastern Van province on Sunday, a move that is seen as part of an ongoing government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement.

Ministry of Education denies authorizing raid on Gülen-inspired schools

The Ministry of Education denied on Tuesday having authorized a raid on private schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement that was conducted nearly two months ago in an official written statement sent in response to an objection submitted to the ministry by a lawyer representing the school group.

Turkish school sacrifices over 150 cows for Eidil Adha

More than 150 cows were slaughtered yesterday morning by the Filipino Turkish Tolerance School in commemoration of Eid Ul Adha or the Feast of Sacrifice.

Nigeria – Our students should not be victims of Turkey’s high-handedness and authoritarianism

We strongly condemn the arrest, detention and deportation of some Nigerian students from Turkey’s capital city, Istanbul, over the botched coup in the country. The harassment and intimidation of our students by the Turkish Government over a matter that does not concern them is undiplomatic and utterly reprehensible. The Turkish government should not visit the punishment for the alleged actions of its political enemies on innocent Nigerian students.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen convinces people that Islam is integral part of global order

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

Once, it was democracy that brought Erdogan and Gülen together

Enes Kanter Education Fund to award students with scholarship

German spy agency chief says does not believe Gulen behind Turkey coup attempt

Government purges police officers who exposed massive corruption

First purification, next habituation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News