Pakistan’s Senate body to summon officials over missing Turkish family


Date posted: October 6, 2017

ISLAMABAD: The Senate Committee on Human Rights (HRs) on Thursday took up the issue of the disappeared Turkish family working for Pak-Turk Schools from Lahore and decided to summon relevant officials of federal and provincial governments in its next meeting.

The issue came up in the committee after the conclusion of the business of the day.

Senator Farhatullah Babar brought it up as ‘any other item with the permission of the Chair’ saying that the spectre of vanishing citizens had now extended to the disappearance of foreigners, and called for immediate parliamentary intervention.

The committee unanimously agreed, with some members suggesting that the victims’ families should also be invited. But it was decided that in the first instance, relevant officials be asked to brief the committee and provide answers to the questions arising out of the facts that have so far come to surface.

Farhatullah Babar has also submitted a ‘Calling Attention’ notice and a motion on the disappearance of Mesut Kacmaz and his family from Lahore on September 27. “The style and manner of kidnapping bear the signatures of all too familiar kidnappings brazenly taking place in the country with alarming impunity,” the notice said.

The Pak-Turk School network in Pakistan earned the state’s ire in the wake of the failed coup in Turkey and witnessed a massive crackdown recently, it said, adding that this background makes it even more urgent before a sinister narrative gains currency that the state itself might be involved.

Senator Mohsin Leghari said that Pakistan should not become a party to internal political wrangling in Turkey.

The meeting was presided over by Senator Nasreen Jalil to take up the agenda items including the Transgender Persons Protection of Rights Bill 2017, and payment of compensation to affectees released recently from Bagram Prison in Afghanistan referred to it by the Senate last month.

The meeting was also attended by Senators Nisar Muhammad Khan, Sitara Ayaz, Karim Ahmad Khawaja, Samina Saeed, Kalsoom Perveen, and Sehar Kamran and among Mohsin Leghari and Farhatullah Babar.

The issue of enforced disappearances is also listed on the agenda of the requisitioned session of Senate on September 10.

According to details, the Turkish family was picked up by over a dozen armed people in plain clothes, including women. Hooded and handcuffed, the family were bundled in a wagon and driven to a house.

Source: Pakistan Today , October 6, 2017


Related News

International “Evolution of Teacher Training Conference” took place in Minsk

The “Evolution of Teacher Training: International Cooperation and Integration” conference, the fourth in the traditional conferences series, jointly organized by Belarusian State Pedagogical University and the Dialogue Eurasia Association, was held in Minsk, the capital of Belarus. 70 academics from Turkey, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine and Poland attended the event that took place between October 24 and 25.

Turkish NGO in Cambodia Denies Links to Terror

The Mekong Dialogue Institute (MDI), a Turkish NGO based in Phnom Penh, on Monday denied any links to terrorism, although the organization was inspired by Fethullah Gulen, the man accused by the Turkish government of being behind last month’s failed coup in Turkey.

Hagi serves baklava to ‘Colors of the World’ in Romania

Students, arriving at Romania for International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC), visited the legendary football name Gheorghe Hagi, at his club building in Constanta, on Saturday.

86-year-old man in 11th month of his arrest on coup charges

Ali Osman Karahan, an 86-year-old Turkish man with walking and speaking difficulties has been kept in an Isparta prison for almost 12 months over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which Turkish authorities accuse of being behind a failed coup attempt in July of last year.

119 people in Turkey died due to crackdown on Gülen movement in 2019 (430 people died since 2016)

At least 119 people lost their lives in Turkey due to an ongoing government-led crackdown on the Gülen movement. Many people including children have drowned in the waters of the Aegean Sea or the Maritsa River while trying to flee the crackdown.

A new Exilic Community: The Hizmet Movement

After the alleged military coup that failed, the Islamic-rooted government forced hundreds of thousands of faith-based community members out of Turkey, causing a massive diaspora of Turkish citizens (deprived, however, of their citizenship) around the world.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen sends his condolences to victims of Boston bombings

Lamb-hunt in the Netherlands

What else should Gülen say?

Academics sign statement saying ‘rule of law suspended’

Turkey cooperates with smugglers to catch Gulen sympathizers seeking asylum abroad

Minister Çelik supports Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood

Turkish family, kidnapped in Pakistan, deported to Turkey Saturday morning

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News