Sudan arrests Gülen-linked businessman at Turkey’s request


Date posted: September 9, 2017

Sudanese law enforcement detained Turkish businessman Memduh Çıkmaz at Ankara’s request as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

Çıkmaz was detained in the capital city of Khartoum on Wednesday and denied request to meet his lawyer and family members, according to Turkish media.

Once awarded by former President Abdullah Gul as the third highest tax payer in the central Anatolian province of Corum, Çıkmaz has been under investigation over his ties to the Gulen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.

The group denies involvement in the abortive coup.

According to media, Turkey submitted the translation of a 500-page indictment to Sudan seeking Çıkmaz’s deportation.

Family members are concerned over Çıkmaz’s medical condition as he must not eat fast food, meat and similar other foods as part of his dietary prescribed due to a protein-related disease, media said.

The family also urged international rights groups to call on Sudan not to deport Cikmaz back to Turkey where he face arrest and potential torture.

Turkey has already detained more than 120,000 people over their alleged or real ties to the movement at home before spreading its crackdown to overseas. More than a dozen Turkish nationals with links to the movement were deported from several countries to Turkey where most of them have been held in in pre-trial detention since.

A number of human rights organizations including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch issued statements in recent times, urging foreign governments to avoid extradition to Turkey.

Source: Turkey Purge , September 8, 2017


Related News

Afghan-Turk Teachers Call Their Extradition Illegal

Following government’s move to arrest three teachers from Afghan-Turk Schools, other staff members said they are refugees in Afghanistan and that their extradition to Turkey by the Afghan government is illegal.

Religious leaders, politicians have iftar in Nigerian capital

10 August 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN The Ufuk (Horizon) Dialogue Foundation hosted a Dialogue and Peace Iftar Dinner last week in the Nigerian capital of Abuja. The event was attended by Gombe State Governor Ibrahim Dankwanbo, Nigerian Information Minister Labaran Maku, Finance Minister Yerima Ngama, Abuja’s Roman Catholic Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Anglican Archbishop Nicholas […]

Erdoğan gov’t threatened to ‘wipe TUSKON off market map,’ says chairman

One of Turkey’s most influential business confederations, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), was threatened with being “wiped off the market” by the government after TUSKON made critical statements about government policies, chairman Rızanur Meral told the media on Friday.

78 detained for raising money for post-coup purge victims

At least 78 people who are accused of raising money for post-coup purge victims were detained in an Antalya-based operation into the Gülen movement on Thursday.

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links deteriorates to stage 4 in one month

Fatma Aşkın, a breast cancer patient who was arrested on Feb.14 in the southeastern Turkish province of Gaziantep due to her alleged links to the Gülen movement, has experienced a spread of the disease during her one-month stay in prison and has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

Turkey’s efforts in Somalia

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, in cooperation with the local Bedir Schools, has definitely undertaken great initiatives, in an effort to combat the famine, drought and tragedy in Somalia.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Police, inspectors raid Gülen-inspired schools in Manisa for 3rd time

I am concerned: Erdoğan and elections

IFLC sends messages of peace in Germany, calls for Turkey to widen its horizon

Pakistan submits to Turkey’s ‘authoritarian demands’ on Gulen

The Hizmet Community

Silence of the (AKP) lambs

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News