Dismissed policeman detained while applying to post-coup rights commission


Date posted: August 5, 2017

I.K., a former deputy police chief in Gaziantep’s Sehitkamil district who was dismissed in the government’s post-coup crackdown, was detained when he visited a local State of Emergency (OHAL) commission in Sivas to reclaim his rights.

The government earlier established OHAL commissions across the country in order to investigate applications directly related to the loss of state jobs through post-coup emergency decrees. Meanwhile, human rights defenders say that commissions were set up only to avoid possible penalties from the European Court of Human Rights (EctHR).

State-run Anadolu agency reported on Saturday that I.K. was subjected to criminal record check at the entrance of the commission’s office even before he managed to submit his application. Anadolu said I.K. has long been under investigation and an an arrest warrant was earlier issued against him as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

The government accuses the movement of leading the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement. More than 145,000 people have lost their jobs since last summer while the government detained over 120,000 and arrested some 50,000 over ties to the movement.

I.K. was detained after the criminal check and was put in pretrial detention.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , August 5, 2017


Related News

Turks Fleeing a Crackdown Find Haven in Albania

Dozens of Turks at risk at home from their affiliation with the man accused of mounting a failed coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have found haven in Albania. But ‘brotherly’ ties between Ankara and Tirana keep them on their toes.

Unmasking Turkey’s most wanted man

Gülen had been charged after the military coups in 1971 and 1980, and again in the late 1990s. Gülen was acquitted of the charges three times.

Fethullah Gülen’s message to PM Tayyip Erdoğan regarding consultants [in 2005]

Mehmet Gündem: If you were to write a letter or send a message to the Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan, what would you tell him? Fethullah Gülen: “Do not be content with employing consultants only from among the admirers of your party. Do not only speak with your own organizations. Benefit from the wise people who love Turkey; because they act objectively, and seek no personal gain.”

73-year-old says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son-in-law behind bars

The 73-year-old mother of jailed teacher, Ayşe Çakır, says she has been left to look after her grandchildren after the government imprisoned her daughter as well as the son-in-law.

Erdogan targets Hizmet inspired schools on Africa visit

Turkey’s involvement in Africa feeds into the Turkish ruling party’s “self-perception as the protector of Muslims and Muslim minorities around the world.” There is also the understanding that the existing Gulenist networks in the West are harder to take on because of Turkey’s capability limitations in the West, especially when it comes to influence and imagery problems.

Commentary: Abuses rampant in wake of Turkish coup

We don’t know a lot. But what we do know should cause us to ask our elected officials to look carefully at any request for extradition for Fethullah Gulen. We don’t know everything, but we know that the post-coup crackdown has included public appeals “to be protected from the evil things of educated people.” Nearly 60,000 have been detained. Some 1,600 university academic deans have been relieved of their positions.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Arrested Turkish TV chief writes an open letter from his jail cell

Lambsdorff: PM’s explanations on corruption cases were not convincing

Mongolia’s Elite Schools sponsor reading halls at pediatric hospital

Kimse Yok Mu delivered aid to Arakan Muslims

Gulen Charter Schools Myth

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

D-8’s Alam calls on everyone to support Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News