Rebecca Harms: Working in Gülen-linked educational institutions not a crime


Date posted: July 6, 2017

Rebecca Harms, a member of the Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament, said on Thursday that the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) should take the necessary action to stop countries from extraditing Gülen followers to Turkey.

Speaking during the general assembly of the European Parliament (EP) on Thursday, Harms said working in institutions such as schools or universities with links to the Gülen movement is not a crime and that, similarly, being critical of the government and being a critical journalist are not crimes.

Urging the EP to reject the Turkish government’s “collective crime, persecution and prosecution against followers of the Gülen movement,” Harms likened the Turkish government’s policies to those of Hitler’s Germany.

“It is important for me as a German member of the European Parliament because my country caused Europe to have this bad experience,” she said.

On Thursday, the EP adopted by a large majority of the vote a resolution calling for the freezing of European Union membership negotiations with Turkey if Ankara implements a constitutional overhaul, backed by a referendum in April.

Turkey survived a failed coup on July 15, 2016 in which 249 people died.

Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan immediately put the blame on the Gülen movement and speeded up a witch-hunt against sympathizers of the movement, which was also accused by the government of launching a graft probe at the end of 2013 that implicated figures from the AKP and people close to Erdoğan.

Despite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspired the Gülen movement, and the movement having denied the accusations, Erdoğan and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Over 138,000 people have been dismissed from their jobs, more than 106,000 were detained and nearly 53,000 jailed over alleged links to the movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , July 7, 2017


Related News

Suspicious deaths, suicides become common occurrence in post-coup Turkey

The number of people who die in suspicious circumstances after being linked to the July 15 coup attempt has been rising with every passing day, a systematic occurrence that is casting a shadow over official statements pointing to suicide. At least 14 people have reportedly committed suicide. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.

Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt

Turkey’s crackdown of those suspected in the failed July 15 military coup widens, with the firing of 492 people at its top Islamic authority. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is zeroing in on a Muslim cleric living in rural Pennsylvania, whom he accuses of masterminding the coup attempt.

Somalia: Somaliland rules out closure of Gulen-linked school

Somaliland administration in northwestern Somalia has refused to follow in the footsteps of the federal government that suspended a school with links to reclusive Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen following a failed coup attempt in Turkey, Garowe Online reports.

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

The humanitarian aid group Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of being an armed terrorist organization, had been directed by the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), casting doubt on such claims.

Probe launched into daily Taraf for attempting to cause chaos

The complaint was based on the content of newspaper articles written by Yıldıray Oğur, Ali Karahasanoğlu, Alper Görmüş and Cem Küçük that are being used by the plaintiff as evidence of Taraf’s “crimes.”

‘Removal of Gülen’s books from NT shelves offends the public’

Former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay has condemned a recent decision made by the new trustees of Kaynak Holding to have all copies of books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen removed from the shelves of NT bookstores across the country, saying that the “indecent” act of censorship offends the public.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

It is unfair, unjust and politically motivated to incriminate the Gulen Movement

A women – Author, Reporter And Lawyer – Faces 15 Years In Jail For Her Tweets

Flautre: Investigation into Taraf daily, journalist over MGK docs ‘scandalous’

Erdogan Budgets $150m To Displace Hizmet Schools In Africa

The First Private Kurdish TV Channel in Turkey

Gulen movement sympathizers committed to interfaith dialogue, charity and nonviolence

Erdoğan’s ‘Reichstag fire’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News