Turkish family kept at Kiev airport for days at Turkey’s request


Date posted: June 1, 2017

A Turkish family that was reportedly detained by Ukrainian authorities on Thursday, have been kept in a room at Kiev Boryspil Airport for three days, waiting to be deported to Turkey, according to a video recording the family members posted on social media.

Ali Yıldız, the father, said in a video recording he posted on Twitter late on Saturday, they were coming from Bangkok and stopped in Kiev to making it onto their connecting flight to Casablanca.

“My name is Ali Yıldız. I have been 3 days in this room. I came from Bangkok to Kiev as a tourist. I am a Turkish citizen. Ukraine does not require visa from Turkish citizens. Now, we are at Kiev International Airport. Two soldiers (wait) outside. Yesterday (Friday), I had a flight from Kiev to Casablanca. They did not allow me to fly. They said ‘we are going to send you to Bangkok. (However) Today, two officers came and said you cannot fly again. I asked them ‘Why am I not flying?’ They said ‘Now you can fly only to Turkey, İstanbul,” Yıldız said.

In a follow-up video recording, Yıldız said that he does not want the Ukrainians to send his family to Turkey.

“I don’t know what the reason is and why had happened. Please help me!” Yıldız said.

The Yıldız family is believed to have a relation with Turkey’s Gülen group, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. After the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused the Gülen group for the attempt.

The group denies any involvement.

President Erdoğan earlier called on foreign governments to punish Gülenists in their own countries. Only a few countries, including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and Georgia, seem to have complied with the request so far.

In one of the examples, Muhammet Furkan Sökmen, a Turkish teacher working for two schools established by Gulen movement followers in Myanmar, was forcibly returned to Turkey despite his cries for help on social media.

He was detained at Istanbul Ataturk Airport and was taken to a police station for interrogation, on Saturday.

Sökmen called for “help from the world” in a video recording he posted on social media minutes before he was handed over to Turkish authorities at Yangon International Airport by Myanmar police on Friday.

According to another video he earlier posted on social media, Sökmen, his wife Ayşe and daughter Sibel were detained by local immigration officials who told the family that Turkish government had invalidated their passports.

According to Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency, Sökmen was first forcibly deported to Bangkok, Thailand on May 24.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , May 28, 2017


Related News

Erdogan’s Faux Coup may have been Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Michael Rubin of the American Enterprise Institute just gave us a pat on the back confirming our original assessment of July 2016 that Erdogan had staged the July 2016 coup. Several career Turkish military officers make a persuasive case that Erdogan’s narrative is false and that the coup was essentially Turkey’s equivalent of the Reichstag fire.

Turkey: Alarming Deterioration of Rights – Coup Attempt No Justification for Crackdown on Peaceful Critics

The government misused terrorism laws against followers of the US-based cleric Fethullah Gülen, whom the government accuses of masterminding the July coup attempt, The mass arrests and removal of safeguards against detainee abuse led to rising reports of torture and other ill-treatment in custody.

Would Gülen want to return to Turkey?

Mehmet Ali Birand  June/16/2012 Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has invited Fetullah Gülen “Hodja,” who has been living in the United States for years, back to the country. He said, “this longing should come to an end.” In particular, the timing of the speech at the closing of the “Turkish Olympics” was a nice, well-thought-through […]

Nazarbayev says Kazakh-Turk schools belong to Kazakhstan, no extradition of teachers

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said on Thursday that Kazakh-Turk high schools that are allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement belong to Kazakhstan and that Turkish teachers working at those schools will not be extradited to Turkey unless they are proven guilty of a crime.

Enforced Disappearance: Cases of Hizmet Movement members and International Law

Moldavian Intelligence Service (SIS) in coordination with Turkish intelligence service (MIT) unlawfully and forcefully detained and kidnaped six educator Turkish nationals in Moldova on September 6, 2018. The detainees have been teachers in private schools opened in 1993 a sign of goodwill friendship between Turkey and Moldova.

Hate Crime: Lists of “Gulen pupils” circulating in Amsterdam

Lists are circulating in Amsterdam containing the names of Turkish students in Amsterdam schools, with details on who supports Fethullah Gulen and Who Supports Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan. About 150 primary school students did not show up for school this week due to “intimidation and bullying” related to tensions in the Turkish community. The municipality deployed extra education inspectors to visit parents who are keeping their children home from school.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Reaction mounts against PM’s witch-hunt remarks

Can the West believe in Islamic progress?

Gülen Movement has been used to undermine Ergenekon trial

Hizmet without borders

Burma/Thailand: Deported Turkish Man at Risk

Scholars stress need for dialogue, cooperation to solve global issues

KYM Volunteers lend a hand to Kosovo

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News