NATO Insiders Suspect Turkey Coup Was Staged by Erdogan himself


Date posted: March 3, 2017

Erik Kindel

In the 8 months since Turkey’s government weathered a potentially destabilizing coup, allegations continue to swirl about who was actually behind the surprising flare up of violence. In an unsubstantiated leak to Aldrimer.no, “Senior NATO sources” currently believe the coup was staged by President Erdogan himself.

The sources stress that while there is no written documentation to support this claim, because it’s “simply too sensitive,” the senior NATO generals have come to the consensus that there was no coup, only a manufactured military incident by Turkey’s president.

“If the Turkish Armed Forces wanted to carry out a coup, they would have succeeded,” one of the NATO sources allegedly told Aldrimer.no reporter Kjetil Stormark. “That’s a tradition in Turkey.”

“They had a list of 1600 names the very next day of people they wanted gone,” the source added.

The coup in question took place Friday, July 15 2016. Turkey experienced an extremely intense, brief period of unrest which saw tanks deployed to the streets of the capital, Ankara, and Turkey’s largest city, Istanbul. Two bridges crossing the Bosporus Strait were closed, and fighter planes took off and attacked the presidential palace and parliament in Ankara.

The coup began while President Erdogan was on vacation, but he quickly traveled back to Istanbul. In the coup’s wake, he enacted several security measures, gave himself further powers of leadership, and expunged the government’s ranks of the supposedly disloyal.

The official explanation from the Turkish government is that the coup was staged by supporters of cleric Fethulah Gülen, currently in exile in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania. Gülen’s organization runs hundreds of schools around the world and in Turkey.

Gülen denies any involvement with the coup.

“I don’t believe that the world believes the accusations made by President Erdogan. There is a possibility that it could be a staged coup and it could be meant for further accusations [against the Gülenists],” said Gülen in a statement to The Guardian.

Gülen’s popular movement, Hizmet, split from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s party in 2013 over a corruption scandal.

Erdogan has demanded the US extradite Mr. Gülen, a legal US resident since 1999, for his role in the failed coup. But the US said it would only consider if Turkey could prove any wrongdoing on the part of Mr. Gülen. So far, no evidence has been offered.

Sources: Aldrimer.no , The Guardian

Source: Opposing Views , March 2, 2017


Related News

KYM Calls for Papers-International Conference on “Social Media for Good”

International Conference on Social Media for Good aims at systematizing and improving existing models on social media, suggesting new innovative approaches and practices, using their effectiveness in enhancing goodness and philanthropy, and resolution of social problems.

Suspicious raid against Hizmet-affiliated highschool famous for its success

The raid came just two days after Turkey’s Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) announced the results of the Higher Education Entrance Examination (YGS), which revealed that students from Gülen-inspired schools are among the top scorers of the exam, casting doubt on the objectivity of the raid.

Woman miscarries twins after arrest, struggles for her life in prison

In yet another example of human tragedies proliferated in the aftermath of the July 15 coup attempt, a Sinop woman lost her twins in jail after she was arrested due to the ByLock mobile application that she says has never downloaded.

Turkey’s crackdown threatens German stability, Gulen followers fear

As storekeeper Cem Celik closes his small supermarket in one of Berlin’s traditional Turkish neighbourhoods for the night, he is bracing himself for what lies ahead.

Irvine’s new arrivals — Turkish asylum seekers, after a failed coup and a sadly successful purge

The man, who ran a nonprofit that provided humanitarian aid, doesn’t want to be identified because he fears for the safety of the wife and two children he was forced to leave in Turkey. They are hidden in a different city, he said, not far from his hometown. They’ve thrown away their cellphones and erased their social media accounts for fear of being tracked down by a government that no longer welcomes them.

Democracy tree grows in Abant as Turks and Kurds bond

ABDULLAH BOZKURT It was in 2000 that liberal and conservative intellectuals in Turkey came together for the first time to address difficult questions in a highly civilized and respectable manner. To mark the occasion, they planted a pine tree in the backyard of the famous Abant Palace resort hotel near the northwestern city of Bolu. […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Former US envoys to Ankara say Erdoğan doing great harm to democracy

Global Muslim networks: How far they have travelled

Court accepts indictment against 9 officers in case seen as political witch hunt

Abant Platform “Africa: Between Experience And Inspiration” Final Declaration

Turkic American Convention kicks off with opening gala cruise

Gülen lawyer denies claims of shooting movie about Erdoğan family

‘Pak Turk Businessmen Association actively working to enhance trade with Turkey’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News