Teacher who lost sanity under detention remains jail despite doctors’ reports


Date posted: February 28, 2017

Tuğba Y., a teacher who lost her sanity due to alleged torture during weeks of interrogation, was arrested and has been kept in prison since late January despite doctors’ reports showing her deteriorating mental condition.

According to the TR724 news website, Tuğba Y. and her husband K. Y. were detained by police in early January and were reportedly interrogated for 24 days at the Tekirdağ Police Station over their alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

The ill-treatment, violence and torture that Tuğba experienced during the interrogation allegedly caused her to lose her sanity, and she ended up in the Bakırköy Psychiatric Hospital.

Although the doctors’ reports revealed that the victim was subjected to heavy torture for days and therefore her mental health was in critical condition, a Tekirdağ court ruled for the arrest of Tuğba Y., and sent her to a Tekirdağ prison, where she has been incarcerated ever since.
The victim has a 14-year-old son and two daughters aged 10 and 11. One of the daughters is reportedly a leukemia patient and in need of constant nursing.

Since the coup attempt of July 15, Turkey has turned into a hub of people victimized by the purge carried out by the Turkish government. The ruling party of Turkey and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of masterminding the attempt and launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Source: Turkish Minute , February 28, 2017


Related News

Pro-gov’t troll says sympathizers of Gülen movement should be ‘wiped out’

A pro-government Twitter troll who frequently uses offensive language to insult prominent political and social figures who do not embrace the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) ideals and practices has this time called on supporters of the ruling party to kill members of the Gülen movement.

German state minister: Persecuted Turks can apply for asylum in Germany

“Germany is an outward-looking country and is open to all those who are politically persecuted as a matter of principle,” Roth said. “They can apply for asylum in Germany. That applies not just to journalists.” Roth also spoke out against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s crackdown against opposition lawmakers and critical journalists and academics.

TÜBİTAK changes olympiad scoring system, penalizes private schools

The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) has changed the scoring system it uses to evaluate student grades in science olympiads it sponsors, giving private schools a smaller coefficient and thereby placing students from these schools at a disadvantage.

Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers

The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.

Parents of Nigerian-Turkish International College students decry call to close schools

Mr. Abudulahi, a professor, added that the schools were playing very significant role in the development of education in Nigeria and should not be closed. He said that the school was one of the most secured in the country, adding that even in the hit of Boko Haram activities in the North ast, it remained open in Yobe. He further added that so long as the NTIC had operated within the laws of Nigeria, it should be allowed to remain in operation.

Government media runs riot in smear campaign against Hizmet

A news article in Daily Sabah, the new, English-language member of the government’s media lineup, claimed on Monday that the police are ratcheting up measures to patch holes in their security network in order to prevent leaks by Gülenists, a derogatory term used to describe the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bosnian Arrest of ‘Gulenist’ School Head Sparks Extradition Fears

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Food and fun abound at Turkish Festival

Another suspicious death: Doctor dies of heart attack in prison

Pak Turk Schools employees in UN protection after visa extensions turned down

Erdogan’s corruption defense falls flat

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News