Panicky parents calmed over Feza Schools closure reports


Date posted: January 28, 2017

Saumu Mwalimu

Dar es Salaam — Feza Schools management yesterday moved to calm anxious parents and other stakeholders following reports that the Turkish government was plotting a take over or closure of the famed learning institutions.

Panicky parents and suppliers have been calling the schools officials and teachers to seek information on the matter, even as it emerged yesterday that some of the schools expansion plans in Mwanza and Dodoma have been temporarily halted to await clearance of the arising confusion.

The Feza Schools’ director Mr Ibrahim Yunus yesterday sought to calm the parents and students, saying learning and other services were going on normally in all its campuses. He said there was no reason to panic as the board had engaged relevant government authorities to ensure there was no disruptions of activities.

“This discussion about Turkey and the supposed plot to close our schools is scaring parents and raising uncertainty among other stakeholders. I haver received a number of calls from concerned parents but we have told them that there is no cause for alarm because this matter will come to pass without any harm,” Mr Yunus told The Citizen in an exclusive interview yesterday in Dar es Salaam.

The director assured the public that claims linking the institution to an alleged terror network were grossly untrue and a fabrication made with the intention of spoiling its image. “We have spoken before and I say this today that, our schools have no link with any terror group, we are a local registered charity organisation where every single sent obtained from schools fee is used for the redevelopment of the schools,” he added.

According to Mr Yunus, they have provided 600 direct and over 1000 indirect employments.

“We are secular schools, having only 52 per cent of Moslem students this year, and due to our performance we have encouraged competition among private and public schools and that healthy in the education sector in general,” said Mr Yunus.

Mr Yunus assured parents with children studying in the schools that the government of Tanzania was handling the matter in a good way and they are optimistic that the future of the schools is safe.

“Those who want to bring Feza down do not care for the interest of Tanzania and should instead aim at introducing similar schools to raise competition and standards in the education sector.

Other education stakeholders have also aired their views on the saga, warning that the wrangles should not be left to affect the students studying in its campuses. Feza Schools has 11 campuses providing primary, secondary and high school learning to nearly 4000 pupils and students. It is a prestigious schools attracting many students of who is who in the country and also providing bursary to thousands of poor bright students.

Those who spoke to The Citizen warned that the government should not allow politics to interfere with the facility. They said diplomatic relations between Turkey and Tanzania should work towards bettering the society and not wrecking it.

While in Tanzania last week, President Erdogan appealed for local government support to fight a supposed terror network he claimed was fighting his government. Turkey has privately listed Feza Schools among institutions run by a charity organisation under preacher Fethullah Gulen who they accuse of waging a terror war against Ankara.


Related Video

Ali Mahmoud – University Student in the USA, graduate of the Feza Boys’ Secondary and High School, Dar as Salaam, Tanzania (Class of 2015)

Source: The Citizen , January 27, 2017


Related News

Pakistan Today Editorial: The Turkish connection and Turkish schools

Surely nobody at the joint session really believed Mr Erdogan’s warning about the threat the so called Gullen Network presents Pakistan. No doubt the Turkish president really believes the Network – which ran schools here till just before his visit – is just as dangerous for Pakistan as al Qaeda, etc.

In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

State Secretary Pramono Anung acknowledged Ankara’s statement on the affiliation of schools in Indonesia with the coup masterminds, but also said there was never any formal request from Turkey to shut down the school. Pramono indicated the government’s concern about Turkey interfering in domestic affairs.

Understanding shifts in Islamic interpretation in Turkey through Gulen-inspired Yamanlar High School

Erdogan regime has transformed most of the seized schools into religious vocational high schools, where teachers mostly teach Salafi beliefs. The Gülen Movement’s first school Yamanlar College was one of them.

Brazil’s top court denies extradition of [Gulen-linked] Erdogan opponent

Brazil’s chief prosecutor’s office argued before the court against the extradition of Sipahi, who has lived in Brazil for 12 years, saying it had no evidence of terrorist acts committed by Hizmet.

81-year-old man sentenced to 10 years in jail over Gulen link

Mustafa Türk, an 81-year-old Turkish who has been under arrest over a year, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on charges of membership to a terrorist organization.

Somali denies allegations that ‘aid supplies did not reach camp’

The claim was also denied by the person in charge of the camp, Ibrahim Abdinur Muhammed, demonstrating that defamatory activities are being conducted by pro-government media outlets against Hizmet movement.
Muhammed said the organization had helped 450 families living in the camp and that it continues to send assistance to the camps in six other locations in Somali in the form of health and food supplies and clothing as well as education tools.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

British Foreign Secretary praises Turkish schools in Afghanistan

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

Silence of the (AKP) lambs

Russian Diplomat Assassin’s Sister Says Police School, Not Gulen, Radicalized Him

Al-Zuhayli says Gülen’s ideas hope of humanity

Likely case against Hizmet will bolster authoritarian character of Erdoğan gov’t

Turkish ambassador draws ire as she implies Gülen-affiliated schools in Macedonia raise terrorists

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News