Reps urge Federal Govt to intervene in Nigerian students’ detention in Turkey


Date posted: October 4, 2016

Abuja –  The House of Representatives on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to quickly intervene and ensure the rescue of 50 Nigerian students detained by Turkish government.

This followed the unanimous adoption of a motion under matters of urgent public importance moved by Rep. Solomon Maren (PDP-Plateau).

Moving the motion, Maren expressed worry over continued detention of the students over alleged link with terrorist group accused of masterminding the failed coup in Turkey.

It would be recalled that 50 Nigerian students were on September arrested and detained in Istanbul Airport on arrival to pursue their education.

He urged the Federal Government to explore the diplomatic channels to rescue the students as well as conduct an investigation into the alleged link with terrorism.

According to Maren, the students were being forced into signing documents for deportation, forced to pay penalties on the allegation of entering the country illegally, humiliated and abused.

“There is need for quick intervention so that the children will be rescued. “In this regard, the Federal Government should deploy all the diplomatic channels to rescue the detained Nigerian students

“If urgent steps were not taken to checkmate this ugly trend of humiliation, abuse and extortion, these students may have their career truncated thereby leading them into crime and destruction of human resources required for the growth of the country, ’’ Maren said.

Contributing to the motion, Rep. Nnanna Igbokwe (PDP-Imo) suggested that House Committees on Education, Foreign Affairs and Interior be involved in the matter to engender holistic investigation.

Igbokwe said that the arrest may be connected to refusal of Nigerian government to close down all Turkish schools operating in Nigeria.
Similarly, Chairman House Committee on Tertiary Education, Rep. Aminu Suleiman described the action as vendetta.

According to Suleiman, the Turkish Ambassador in Nigeria had requested the Nigerian authorities to close down 17 Turkish schools in Nigeria for alleged link with Hizmet movement.

“The government rejected the call due to lack of concrete evidence linking the school or their proprietors with the failed coup,’’ he said.

Ruling on the motion, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara referred the matter to Committees on Diaspora, Education and Interior to investigate and report back in one week.

Source: Nigerian Observer , October 4, 2016


Related News

Hakan Şükür’s resignation: Rebellion of a conscience

Take a look at his wedding photo: on one side of a table is Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and on the other is Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. That photo reflects the feelings of millions. Şükür’s resignation is a sign that to him, that photo was torn up. If the government continues to keep up its hostile attitude against the Hizmet movement led by Gülen, millions will experience the same feeling. The real risk is here.

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

To save itself, Turkish govt stabs hard-won democracy

“I don’t want to say that – but this is an executive coup over judiciary,” lawmaker Bal said. He noted that blaming the graft scandal on a “parallel state” – a phrase Erdogan often employs to describe his alleged opponents within the state – significantly damages Turkey’s reputation.

Turkey’s Maarif schools to be funded by Saudi and IDB money

The Maarif Foundation, established by the Turkish government in order to compete with Turkish schools abroad established by Gülen movement sympathizers, has received approval from Saudi authorities and the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) for financial support for Maarif schools abroad, a Turkish news portal reported on Friday.

US Sees No Need to Choose Between Partnership With Turkey, Gulen Extradition

The United States does not need to choose between its alliance with Turkey and the extradition of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, US Department of State spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said in a briefing on Thursday.

Turkish woman returned to prison with newborn 4 days after birth

Hatice Şahnaz, in pretrial detention on charges of alleged links to the Gülen movement, was put back behind bars in southern Turkey a few days after delivering a baby.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen: purge of public officials seems ‘arbitrary’

US Congress members reaffirm unbreakable bonds with Turks

U.S. Not Persuaded to Extradite Fethullah Gulen Over Turkey Coup

TUSKON-led trade volume reaches $30 billion

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

CHP: Anti-Hizmet ops were part of agreement between Erdoğan, military

Governmental Robbery – Armenian Deportation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News