Nigerian Federal Government ignores Turkey’s request to close Turkish schools

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu


Date posted: August 20, 2016

MISBAHU BASHIR

The relations between Nigeria and Turkey have been traditionally cordial, and bilateral trade has grown over the years between them. The annual trade volume between Turkey and Nigeria was $1.2 billion by second quarter of 2016, and this consists of clothing, food, engines and automobile parts, as well as pharmaceuticals. In return, Turkey imports sesame seeds, petroleum, raw and semi-processed leather and rubber from Nigeria.

According to a Turkish Hurriet Daily News newspaper report published in February 1999, Turkey and Nigeria signed a cultural agreement in 1976. Since then, a great number of Nigerians have studied and are studying at various Turkish universities either under a cultural exchange programme or as privately sponsored students.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said during his recent visit to Nigeria that, “Our total trade volume is currently at $1.145 billion. Our export is $314 million and our import is $831 million. As you can see, the result is to the favour of Nigeria.
“I believe that if the two countries combine forces, making use of our own respective resources, we would be able to come up with even better outcomes. As we speak, our business people are connecting with their Nigerian counterparts.”
But the recent failed coup in Turkey almost jeopardized the friendly ties between the two countries. The quagmire followed a request by the Turkish authorities to Nigeria for the closure of 17 Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NITC).
The Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Hakan Cakil, told the vice chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Shehu Sani, that his government had requested the Nigerian government to shut down the colleges because they were allegedly linked to Fethullah Gulen, the US-based cleric who was blamed for the failed coup.
He further said the colleges were run by Gulen’s movement, a sect which was trying to overthrow the Turkish government as well as train terrorists.
Many Nigerians, especially parents whose wards either graduated or are schooling in the colleges, were outraged by the comment. The Nigerian government too, was taken aback after the allegation and request from Turkey.
The federal government, however, said the allegation was frivolous because it lacked legal merit.
The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, told journalists in Abuja that the request by the Turkish government did not hold water because it appeared to be without evidence. He said the schools would remain open until there was substantial fact for government to take action upon.
Parents had to summon a media briefing a day after the statement by the Turkish government where they clarified their stand on the matter.
One of the parents, Barrister Ken Okaoha, said the ambassador hadn’t got knowledge and facts that could make his allegation about the colleges plausible, and urged the Nigerian authorities to throw out any call asking them to shut down the colleges.
He said the colleges, owned by the First Surat Group, alongside the Nizamiye Hospital and the Nigerian Turkish Nile University, have no link to the terror groups.
He said the colleges have over 5,000 Nigerian students and employed over 2,000 people, adding that they have developed better strategies for accomplishing their academic and moral goals.
Okaoha said parents, authorities and host communities haven’t come across any corroborative evidence in terror offences in the schools.
He said the colleges have offered scholarships to students and sent many of their graduates to universities and most of them have successfully completed their studies.
A former student of the colleges and law graduate from one of the affiliate universities in Turkey said he received excellent support services from Turkish teachers both in Nigeria and Turkey.
He said the allegation had not tarnished the image of the schools as centres of learning, and that both students and the alumni would ensure that the Turkish authorities renounced the charge.
The Turkish community in Nigeria have staged a street protest in Abuja against the coup.
On the issue of Turkish schools in Nigeria, the ambassador told the protesters that his government and the Nigerian government were talking to find a solution to the issue saying, “The government of Turkey will never do anything against the Nigerian people.”
The spokesman of the colleges, Mr. Cemal Yigit, said the allegation was a deliberate attempt by the Turkish government to smear the image of the colleges by linking them to the failed coup d’état plotters in Turkey.
He said the allegation was unacceptable and that he was not aware of any move by the Nigerian authorities to shut down the colleges.
“That is how they do the defamation campaign. It is so unfortunate that the smear attack is even reaching Nigeria,” Yigit said.
He said the schools have about 5,000 students and employed about 2,000 Nigerians.
He said so far, more than 1,200 schools and 15 universities were closed down in Turkey following the failed attempt by the military.
He said many foundations, associations and charities were also closed down.
Meanwhile, Mr. Gulen, who was accused of sponsoring the failed coup, recently issued a statement condemning the coup, saying he had no knowledge about it.
In spite of the outrage resulting from the ambassador’s statement over the schools, Turkish authorities have yet to provide evidence to their Nigerian counterparts over the allegations.

Source: Daily Trust , Aug 18, 2016


Related News

A battle for power in Turkey faces resistance in Senegal

The closure of Yavuz Selim schools isn’t just a blow for its students, but also for the state of education in Senegal, a country where about one-third of children remain out of school. The schools had a reputation for excellence, ranking for years among Senegal’s best. Students got top scores in national exams, and went on to study at international universities.

After The Coup Attempt, A Crackdown In Turkey

Once considered a beacon of hope for the Middle East, Turkey has been rapidly backsliding on issues of democracy, freedom of the press, and human rights. One would have thought this downfall hit bottom on July 15, when a bloody coup was attempted, leaving behind more than 250 dead.

Fear and paranoia still stalk Turkey two months after the failed coup

The official government narrative is everywhere, from the Twitter accounts to the dominance of the state-affiliated and pro-government press and TV in the wake of media crackdowns. The same words and phrases have been repeated endlessly by the AKP and their supporters until they become almost meaningless – Get Gülen. Gülen. Gülen. We are democracy. Democracy. Democracy. That is how it is, and there is no room to consider anything else.

Gülen’s lawyers refute justice minister’s statement likening Gülen to Iran’s Khomeini

Lawyers for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have said via Twitter that Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ should have provided proof to back up his statement that Gülen planned to return from the US to Turkey in a similar way to Iran’s revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

Turkish Schools Discussed at Johns Hopkins University

In a conference at the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute (CACI) at the Johns Hopkins University, Turkish schools in Central Asia were closely analyzed. In a conference titled ‘Turkish way of Islam Educates Central Asians’, which Dr. Bayram Balci from the French Institute of Anatolian Studies in Istanbul attended as lecturer, the educational movement initiated by Fethullah […]

Bank Asya seeks immediate return of ‘hijacked’ management rights

Turkey’s largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, is demanding that the state-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) return the bank’s rights to control its management following strong indications that the fund’s decision on Tuesday to take over control of the lender’s board has no legal basis and is politically motivated.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu continues its aid for Bosnian flood victims

Benin seeks development with investments of Turkish enterprises

Kenya Embassy Donates Food & Warm Clothes to Syrian Refugees

Turkish Kimse Yok Mu volunteers staying months to help survivors

Wedding gifts will help build dorm and water wells in Tanzania

Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says

Turkish community leader in Hampshire condemns Russian ambassador’s assassination

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News