Fethullah Gulen: “If the allegations are proved, I agree to return to Turkey”

Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen
Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: August 11, 2016

Fethullah Gülen

French daily Le Monde published Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen’s op-ed on August 11, 2016. Below is short excerpt from his op-ed. Translation is by Google and slightly edited by HizmetNews.Com

“For seventeen years I have lived secluded in a small village in the USA. Claiming that I could, at 10,000 kilometers away, convince the army to carry out a coup against his government is simply defamation. Moreover, the charge was not taken seriously by world opinion. 

But if some in the military, who say they are supporters of the Hizmet were involved in the coup attempt, I say without any doubt, they are felons who have shaken the unity and the integrity of the country, have betrayed my ideals and have made hundreds of thousands suffer.

If some were under the influence of interventionist culture of the army and preferred to trample the values of Hizmet with this reflex – which I do not think – their sins can not be attributed to all supporters of the movement. May God punish them.

Nobody, including me, is above the law. I wish that all perpetrators, regardless of their affiliation, are sentenced to what they deserve through fair trial.

But since October 2014, the judiciary system is under the tutelage of the political power, the probability of getting a fair trial is almost zero. That is why I called for the creation of an international commission and announced that I would accept its findings.”

Read the op-ed in French.

 


Related News

The aftermath of the failed Turkey coup: Torture, beatings and rape

The Turkish government has embarked on a crackdown of exceptional proportions, targeting people it accuses of being linked to Fethullah Gülen – a Turkish cleric in exile in the US, who the government accuse of masterminding the failed coup on 15 July 2016. More than 10,000 people have been detained since the attempted coup and […]

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned an attack on a French satirical magazine, Charlie Hebdo, and a series of shootings in Paris suburbs last week that left 17 dead, extending condolences to the families of the victims.

Gülen resorts to UN to investigate Turkey’s coup

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gülen calls the United Nations to form an international commission to investigate Turkey’s controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016, and to acquit himself after Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused him of launching the coup d’état.

Turkey’s trampling of freedoms is Europe’s problem too

Johanna Vuorelma Today’s Turkey is not the same Turkey that I experienced 10 years ago when I first lived there. Those years were filled with optimism, greater civil liberties, significant steps towards democracy, a booming economy and international admiration. Universities had become spaces for critical debates, opening new channels for discussions about some of the […]

Turkey ‘looking for scapegoats’ by linking schools in Nigeria to failed coup

Speaking with TheCable in an interview on Friday, Cemal Yigit, spokesman of NTIC, said Gulen does not own the Turkish schools in Nigeria, and that the schools are the property of private investors – some of them Nigerians. He said that the Turkish government was on a purge of the opposition in Turkey, and that it was trying to decimate any organisation that shared the philosophy of Gulen by tagging them terrorists.

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Influential Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who is considered by TIME magazine as “the most potent advocate of moderation in the Muslim world,” has strongly condemned the kidnappings in Nigeria as well as other such violent acts. In an interview he said that denying girls access to education simply goes against the spirit of the Muslim religious tradition and that women should be able to take on every role in our society, including those of physicians, military officers, judges and head of state.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan opponents being monitored in Denmark

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to Kyrgyz orphans

Erdoğan confesses anti-Gülen witch-hunt has gone off track

Predictability in Erdoğan’s Turkey

After Fethullah Gülen’s demise what will happen to the Hizmet Movement

AFSV Denounces President Erdogan’s Seizure of Leading Newspaper Zaman

Turkish charities extend helping hand during Eid al-Adha

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News