Teachers, parents oppose Pak-Turk Schools takeover


Date posted: August 7, 2016

Ammar Sheikh, Lahore

A group calling itself the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges Parent-Teacher Association expressed concern on Saturday over reports that the government was going to hand over the school management to “a political entity”.

Speaking at a press conference at the Raiwind Road campus, they said they would oppose such a move.

On behalf of the association, Saima Ilyas said: “It is said that our schools will be handed over to another foundation. We are unable to understand and accept the transfer of the schools from a local foundation to another foundation, especially the fact that the proposed entity is known to have a political affiliation.”

“We believe that such an entity will preach its own political agenda. We apprehend that students will face unnecessary challenges.”

She refused to identify the entity. She said Pak-Turk educational institutes were affiliated with examination boards across Pakistan and had been imparting modern education.

“These institutes have received appreciation at national and international levels. The administration claims that the schools have never received financial assistance from Pakistani or Turkish government and are managed by a foundation employing 1,200 Pakistani and 134 Turkish personnel.”

She said the association stood by Turkish officials at the schools who felt threatened by the recent developments. “Our Turkish brothers have been imparting education to our children. The schools have several branches in less-developed areas of the country. There has been no violation of Pakistani laws for 21 years. It is unacceptable therefore to condone forced withdrawal of Turkish teachers or transfer of schools to another foundation. One of the factors in preferring Pak-Turk schools is, the Turkish teachers working here. An abrupt withdrawal of Turkish teachers is bound to adversely affect the standard of education.”

She said the new academic year was about to commence. The government, she said, should not take a disagreeable decision. She said they would be forced to take to the streets if the school management was transferred.

 

Source: The Express Tribune , August 7, 2016


Related News

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

In an exclusive interview with Al Arabiya News Channel, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen said he was confident that the United States will not extradite him. “The United States has a reputation in the world as a country that upholds the rule of law. So I trust they will follow the proper procedures,” Gulen told Al Arabiya’s New York Bureau Chief Talal al-Haj.

Erdogan set up Maarif Foundation to seize Hizmet-inspired Turkish Schools

Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Hizmet-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.

Worldview: No evidence, no extradition of Pa. cleric to Turkey

That’s the claim of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is demanding that the United States extradite Fethullah Gulen, a 77-year-old Turkish cleric living on a 26-acre retreat in Saylorsburg, whom he blames for orchestrating the failed coup.

Laotian minister: I feel lucky my son studies at Turkish school

Dr. Bosengkham Vongdara, minister of information, culture and tourism of Laos said during a science festival organized by the Turkish Eastern Star Bilingual School held recently that he feels lucky his son studies in the Turkish school.

I Weep For Turkey

It has been the same topic of discourse everywhere. And it won’t stop anytime soon because of the atrocities that have followed, all in the name of sanitising the country and arresting masterminds of the phantom coup. The news coming out of Turkey has been really disturbing to many, and equally baffling to the world.

Police raid successful Gülen-inspired schools in western Turkey

Just after another Gülen-inspired school was raided by the police in the southern province of Gaziantep on Monday, private schools established by the volunteers from the Hizmet Movement were raided in the western province of İzmir on Tuesday morning.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Portrait of the Gülen Brotherhood, sworn enemy of Turkey’s President Erdogan

Circumcision party gifts will build dorm and water wells in Tanzania

Government blocks bank accounts of aid organization

Hizmet turns theories of Millennium Development Goals into practice

Leaked emails reveal Erdoğan’s son-in-law’s team fabricated news against Gülen in US

Gülen discounts neither past nor modernity

Hakan Yavuz: Der Spiegel’s inflammatory, biased journalism on Turkey story shocked me

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News