Free speech groups condemn Turkey’s closure of 29 publishers after failed coup

Fathali M. Moghaddam, an Iranian professor at Georgetown University, presents Emine Erdoğan with one of his books, 'The Psychology of Dictatorship'
Fathali M. Moghaddam, an Iranian professor at Georgetown University, presents Emine Erdoğan with one of his books, 'The Psychology of Dictatorship'


Date posted: August 3, 2016

Alison Flood

Organisations including PEN International have spoken out about the ‘grave impact on democracy’ caused by major crackdown on book trade.

The closure of 29 publishers by the Turkish government has been condemned by the international publishing community, which described the move as outrageous and warned that it would have a “grave impact on democracy”.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government used a state of emergency law to close the 29 publishing houses last week, along with a swath of newspapers, television channels, magazines and news agencies. According to the Turkish Publishers Association, the decree means that all goods, assets, rights, documents and papers belonging to the publishers will be transferred free of charge to the Turkish treasury, with no appeal to be made, and the prospect of further publishers being shut down in the future.

The closures follow the coup attempt last month, which has been blamed on followers of the US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, and in which more than 200 people were killed and thousands injured.

The Turkish Publishers Association said that while it opposed the coup attempt, the closure of the publishing houses, which are alleged to be affiliated to Gülen’s network, “carries the risk of human rights violations, the stifling of freedom of thought and expression and also irreparable financial and moral losses”.

In a statement translated by the International Publishers Association, the TPA said that authors and translators whose works were translated by the 29 publishers would suffer, as they would be unable to collect money owed to them. So, too, would the publishers’ employees who “with no criminal involvement, will also be denied their rights, their jobs, and any outstanding wages”.

“We hope that the constitutionally guaranteed principle of ‘innocent until proven guilty in a court of law’ will be respected, that the rule of law and democratic principles will be respected, and that any action that may prevent freedom of thought and expression, freedom to publish and the right to news and information will be avoided,” said the TPA.

The 29 closed publishing houses are: Altın Burç; Burak Basın Yayın; Define; Dolunay Eğitim; Giresun Basın Yayın; Gonca; Gülyurdu; GYV; Işık Akademi; Işık Özel Eğitim; Işık; İklim Basım Yayın Pazarlama; Kaydırak; Kaynak; Kervan Basın; Kuşak; Muştu; Nil; Rehber; Sürat Basım Yayın Reklâmcılık; Sütun; Şahdamar; Ufuk Basın Yayın Haber Ajans Pazarlama; Ufuk Yayınları; Waşanxaneya Nil; Yay Basın Dağıtım Paz Reklâmcılık; Yeni Akademi; Yitik Hazine; and Zambak Basım Yayın Eğitim Turizm.

Their closure was also protested by free speech organisations English PEN and PEN International. “The closures [are] a worrying sign that the authorities are using the failed coup to further crack down on the already parlous state of freedom of expression in the country,” said Salil Tripathi, chair of PEN International’s Writers in Prison Committee. “We fear the struggle to restore freedoms in Turkey will be a long one and urge the government to review these closures as a matter of urgency and to ensure that the rights of writers and publishers are protected.”

Jo Glanville, director of English PEN, said: “The coup posed a serious threat to the Turkish state, but the closing down of publishers, alongside the mass sackings, detentions, arrests and allegations of torture, will have a grave impact on democracy. The crackdown on freedom of expression was already a continuing concern. The coup now appears to be an opportunity for Erdoğan to purge Turkey of his opponents, including his former allies, the Gülenists and anyone alleged to be affiliated with them.”

Source: The Guardian , August 3, 2016


Related News

Pak-Turk schools issue: Foundation moves court for fear of closure

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) directed the deputy attorney general to seek instructions from the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after Pak-Turk Education Foundation moved the IHC against the possible closure of the network by the government, on Wednesday.

Neither Erdoğan nor EU the same after five years

Erdoğan is going to Brussels as the prime minister of Turkey who doesn’t even have ambassadors in three of its region’s important capital; Cairo, Tel Aviv and Damascus. A negotiation chapter was opened in November 2013 after a three-year freeze. Erdoğan had to sack the former EU minister from the cabinet because of the allegations in relation with a major graft probe in December 2013 and appointed Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu to that post.

Five global challenges: how might Hizmet respond?

Hizmet, the social movement inspired by the neo-Sufi thinker Fetullah Gülen, is currently being dismembered by the autocratic president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He accuses Gülen of ordering a coup attempt on 15th July 2016, saying it was was led by Hizmet members in the army.

Turkish PM Yıldırım names July 15 coup attempt as ‘project’ he did not like

In remarks that fueled suspicions even further that the Turkish government was involved in a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said on Thursday that July 15 was a “project” he did not like or approve of.

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Veteran Turkish journalist Nazlı Ilıcak was fired on Wednesday from her long-time post at the Sabah daily over a “disagreement on issues,” according to the pro-government newspaper. Ilıcak argued that Erdoğan had been misled by his advisors, leading to prejudices and suspicions about the Hizmet movement.

New Book – The House of Service: The Gülen Movement and Islam’s Third Way (New York: Oxford University Press)

Named after its leader Fethullah Gülen, the movement has established more than 1,000 secular educational institutions in over 140 countries, aiming to provide holistic education that incorporates both spirituality and the secular sciences.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Abant participants: Turkey needs EU support to improve its democracy

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences to ferry victims

The ‘other’ interview

Second Turkish food and culture festival held in South Africa

Ethio-Turkish businesswomen to strengthen business ties

Turkey’s Changing Freedom Deficit

Post-Kemalist but still illiberal Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News