DUTCH MP’S FURIOUS ABOUT PRESSURE FROM TURKISH AMBASSADOR


Date posted: July 27, 2016

JANENE PIETERS

Parties in the Tweede Kamer – the lower house of Dutch parliament – are furious about statements the Turkish ambassador to the Netherlands made pressuring the Dutch government to help hunt down supporters of the Gulen-movement. Numerous parliamentarians expressed their annoyance to NU.nl.

In an interview with Dutch broadcaster NOS on Monday, ambassador Sadik Arslan stated that Turkey considers the Gulen-movement a terrorist organization and compared it to Islamic State. He repeatedly stated that Turkey is convinced the movement is behind a recent attempted coup in the country. According to him, there are Gulen-affiliated schools in the Netherlands, and the Netherlands is thus funding education institutions closely linked to an organization with “sinister plans”.

VVD parliamentarian Han Ten Broeke was first to respond. “The chance of extradition of anyone to Turkey is 0,0 and they have themselves to blame”, he said, according to NU.nl. “As long as Turkey ignores the rule of law and can not guarantee normal procedure, we can ignore such requests.” According to him, the “Gulen witch hunt” is not a matter for the Netherlands “What is our business is the arson, massive intimidation and the witch hunt the Dutch-Turks have on their conscience.”

“A ridiculous and inappropriate call that will only stir up tensions in the Netherlands”, D66 parliamentarian Sjoerd Sjoerdsma had to say. “The Erdogan regime must immediately stop the currently ongoing witch hunt and especially not export it to the Netherlands.”

PvdA parliamentarian Michiel Servaes called Arslan’s statements “inappropriate and unwise”. “The Netherlands loudly opposed the coup, but is quite rightly concerned about Erdogan’s countermeasures, which are putting the rule of law under pressure”, he said. “As far as the situation in the Netherlands is concerned, what we need now is peace and dialogue. And thus no statements that put further pressure on the relationship between Turkish Dutch. Of the Turkish ambassador I therefore expect that he speaks out against polarization instead of continuing to put antagonisms on high alert.”

“Like Turkey itself is so extremely busy. We fight against terrorism with Turkey. There we reach out our hand. But this is a domestic problem in which they already think they know who the perpetrators are”, CDA MP Raymond Knops said, according to the newspaper. “Then they themselves have to come up with the evidence. And they must show that they want to uphold the rule of law.”

Source: NLTIMES , July 26, 2016


Related News

Gulen Schools Fight Provokes New Tensions in Bosnia

RODOLFO TOE Row over schools operated by alleged Turkish coup leader could spark new conflicts and aggravate divisions in Bosnia according to experts. A feud between Bosnian schools connected to Fethullah Gulen, alleged leader of the recent Turkish coup, and Turkish authorities in Ankara could exacerbate rifts within Bosnia, an international relations expert told BIRN. […]

Imran Khan denounces expected closure of Pak-Turk schools

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan condemned the expected move to close Pak-Turk schools across the country.
“We stand firmly by Turkish democracy but closure of Pak-Turk schools in Pakistan, which has a high illiteracy rate, could be disastrous for the country,” he said.

Turkey’s Erdogan vows to cut off revenues of Gulen-linked businesses

“The business world is where they are the strongest. We will cut off all business links, all revenues of Gulen-linked business. We are not going to show anyone any mercy,” Erdogan said, describing the detentions so far as just the tip of the iceberg. The Turkish authorities had already seized a bank, taken over or closed several media companies, and detained businessmen on allegations of funding the cleric’s movement ahead of the failed coup attempt.

Man gets prison sentence, fine after attack on Gülen-linked institutions in France

A 28-year-old man of Turkish origin has been handed down a prison sentence of eight months and a fine of 23,000 euros by a French court after he attacked several institutions affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in the country. M.Y. admitted to have taken part in six other attacks against Gülen-affiliated education and culture centers in France.

Anti-police operation is gov’t attempt to take revenge for graft probe

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has recently been engaged in a bitter fight with the Hizmet movement. This conflict intensified after Dec. 17, 2013, when a major graft operation targeting government ministers and connected businessmen became public. The prime minister claims the operation was orchestrated by the Hizmet movement in an effort to overthrow his government. However, he has not provided any evidence to prove this claim, and the movement denies the accusation.

Coup attempt in Turkey puts Tulsa Turks in difficult position

Muhammet Ali Sezer, the incoming executive director of the Raindrop Turkish Cultural Center, said it will be impossible for him to return to his homeland unless the political situation improves. “If I go back to Turkey, I don’t know what they will do to me,” said Sezer. He also said he fears for his father and brother who live in Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools abroad victims of AKP-Gulen conflict

AKP official: Torture claims won’t be investigated if victims are Gülenists

Reuters interview Gulen, he says he would not flee U.S. to avoid extradition to Turkey

FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads

Deputy PM says image of gov’t-Hizmet fight ugly

“Like a Storm”: Deportations Stun Turks in Kosovo

UN asks Turkey to compensate businessman arrested in post-coup crackdown

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News