It’s up to us: Prominent Muslims call for fight against IS


Date posted: March 23, 2016

BRIT Muslims have declared it is up to “us” to lead the fight against Islamic State.

Scholars and religious leaders said it was time for a show of defiance by allowing women to choose whether or not to wear the veil.

A conference heard that moderate Muslims held the key to defeating extremism.

They could succeed where air strikes and special forces operations have failed by encouraging a united, peaceful and tolerant Islam to turn its back on violent jihad.

SPEAKING OUT: Qari Muhammad Asim

SPEAKING OUT: Qari Muhammad Asim

The academics rapped atrocities by Isis which they claimed were inspired by an “outmoded” interpretation of the Koran.

“Only Muslims can marginalise these people”
Dr Ismail Sezgin

Speakers at the British Islam Conference at Coventry University – close to a major Isis recruiting ground in the West Midlands – urged moderate Muslims to denounce every act of terrorism.

CONFERENCE: Dr Ismail Sezgin

CONFERENCE: Dr Ismail Sezgin

Dr Ismail Sezgin, executive director of the Centre for Hizmet Studies, said: “We have to maintain a consistent line of condemnation. We have to denounce the violence every time.

“People lose their faith or are recruited by Isis because people abuse the verses of the Koran. Only Muslims can marginalise these people.”

Sughra Ahmed, chair of the Islamic Society of Britain, also called on Muslims to don Remembrance Day poppies in honour of dead servicemen.

She said: “One thing we kept hearing was that Muslims don’t wear poppies, they burn them. We wanted to challenge that stereotype. Over a million Muslims wear the poppy each November. The symbol became a bridge-builder for people.”

Imam Qari Muhammad Asim, from Makkah Mosque in Leeds, said extremism flew in the faith of his teachings.

He said: “It’s not just a Muslim issue – it’s a global phenomenon.

UNITED: Sughra Ahmed

UNITED: Sughra Ahmed

“Extremism affects us in all forms and only together can we defeat it to preserve our future generations.”

Dilwar Hussain, whose New Horizons charity aims to help make the peaceful majority of Muslim voices heard in the UK, said: “We want to bridge the ‘us and them’ divide and provide a future for our children where our religious identity is in harmony with our British identity.”

Source: Daily Star , March 21, 2016


Related News

A Muslim voice to be heeded

The majority of Muslims openly and loudly reject violent extremism regardless of the religious or ethnic identity of the perpetrator, but that is not what the Western media focuses on. If we closely look into a broad poll, we will see hundreds of Muslim leaders denouncing terrorism, and one of these Muslim voices that we don’t listen to is Fethullah Gülen.

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

I have learned with grief about the horrific terrorist attack against two Coptic churches in Egypt during a Palm Sunday mass, killing at least 43 worshipers and police officers. I vehemently condemn this atrocity against the Coptic Christian community.

Islamists’ xenophobic policies threaten Turkey

The assaults on Korean tourists and a Uighur chef, who were mistaken for Chinese people, in İstanbul last week have shown the extent of damage dealt to this moderate nation of Turks by the Islamist rulers, who provide political clout to hate crimes and xenophobia in order to sustain their waning power in the government.

Fethullah Gülen’s message to the International symposium “Ijtihad and Qiyas: The richness of Islam”

Ijtihad and Qiyas present a significant field of expansion for the potential treasury that transcends time and space as it is found in the Book and the Sunna. We will never run out of solutions and answers as long as these rich sources are available with their doors wide open for those who are able to benefit from them.

AFSV Statement on Paris Terror Attacks

The Alliance for Shared Values strongly condemns the terrorist attacks in Paris. We stand united with the people of France and with people around the world in mourning the loss of innocent lives and offering our deepest condolences to the families.

What befell Niyazi-i Misri in the past is happening to Fethullah Gülen now

BÜLENT KENEŞ I immediately accepted an invitation from my dear teacher Ziya Kesiriklioğlu, who had taught my religious course at high school and who I hadn’t seen for more than 25 years, to an event in Lemnos to commemorate a major Islamic scholar from my hometown of Malatya who had lived 300 years ago and […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

JWF statement on allegations against Hizmet movement

Taraf daily to sue PM Erdoğan over treason accusations

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to orphans in eastern Turkey

Abant Platform convenes to discuss problems of Turkish education system

Kimse Yok Mu lends helping hand to 3,000 orphans in 4 countries

Gülen issues condolence message for Iraqi victims of ISIL

Had the Kurds believed in Said-i Kurdi, their children wouldn’t have died

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News