Fatih College basketball court demolished despite ongoing case

An excavator demolished the basketball court at the Fatih College campus located in Merter, İstanbul. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
An excavator demolished the basketball court at the Fatih College campus located in Merter, İstanbul. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: July 29, 2015

Construction equipment entered Fatih College in İstanbul’s Merter neighborhood on Tuesday, demolishing a basketball court in the school courtyard, despite the fact that a case regarding a decision by the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality to construct a road through the courtyard is still ongoing.

According to the Cihan news agency, Fatih College officials said the demolition is unlawful, noting that the case regarding the decision to construct a road through the college courtyard is still ongoing.

Fatih College has been in its location for 20 years but the municipality, controlled by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), decided in October 2014 to construct a road through the college courtyard.

One of the school walls as well as the security guard’s office in the courtyard were demolished by teams from the municipality around midnight on Oct. 6, 2014 and during Eid al-Adha — an official holiday in Turkey. Sources had said the municipality did not send any written warning beforehand to the school administration about the demolition plans.

Parents of students at Fatih College gathered in front of city hall on Oct. 8 to protest the plan to construct a road through the college courtyard.

The head of the parent-teacher association, Nezihe Ehli, previously stated that schools are where the next generation is shaped and must therefore be protected. Ehli also noted that Fatih College’s Merter campus had outstanding successes between 2005 and 2014, grooming champions in high school entry exams, national and international scientific, sports and cultural Olympiads and many awards from the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK).

Fatih College is among the schools sympathetic to the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by the ideas of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The movement, together with Gülen, has been targeted by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan ever since a corruption probe went public on Dec. 17, 2013, implicating senior members of the government.

Erdoğan accuses the movement of being behind the corruption operation and of being a criminal network seeking to overthrow the ruling party government. The movement strongly denies the claims.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 29, 2015


Related News

Albanian president hails Turkish schools in his country

11 October 2011, Tuesday / TODAY’S ZAMAN, ANKARA Topi, speaking at a joint press conference following his meeting with Turkish President Abdullah Gül late on Monday in Ankara, recalled that there are two Turkish universities and many Turkish high schools in his country and praised the Turkish entrepreneurs who contributed to those institutions. Albanian President […]

Turkey – Baby with Down syndrome suffers major health problems in absence of jailed parents

A 15-month-old baby with Down syndrome, Ayşe Sena Bunlu, has been suffering from serious health problems ever since her parents, both of whom are police officers, were purged from their posts and jailed in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, according to a story in the Tr724 news portal on Friday.

Erdoğan’s accusation that Hizmet organized the coup attempt is noxious and absurd

The name of that “terrorist organization” was not spoken, but Ökem was referring to the so-called Fethullahçı Terör Örgütü. To the rest of the world, it’s the Hizmet movement founded by Fethullah Gülen, a former close and important ally of Erdoğan. No one else sees it as violent. Erdoğan’s accusation that it organized the coup attempt is noxious and absurd.

Turkish School’s sucesss in Iraq

(Ebru News/AP) Turkish schools in Iraq have become a source of pride in Turkiye. All the students attending Nilufer Girls College in Arbil province were placed with high scores in important faculties of the university. Iraqi officials who attended the diploma ceremony said that these students improved themselves quickly and drew attention with their success […]

Gulen-Linked Turkish Schools In Kazakhstan Being Renamed

Turkish-Kazakh schools across Kazakhstan are being renamed amid a campaign by Turkey against the exiled Turkish Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen. The Turkish-Kazakh schools were co-founded by Gulen’s Hizmet movement and his followers and have been functioning in Kazakhstan since early 1990s.

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Who stalls the reforms [in Turkey]?

Gülen: I hope they avoid the adventures of the Union and Progress Party

Hizmet movement and perceptions

Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji

The Hizmet Movement: Reflections from Sri Lanka

Canadian Journal Interviews Erdogan’s Victims in Greece: Fleeing oppression in Turkey

JWF strongly condemns this terrorist attack on the Charlie Hebdo

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News