Erdoğan receives harsh criticism from civil society over bid to close Turkish schools

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on the African countries to close down Turkish schools during a visit to Ethiopia last week. (Photo: Cihan)
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on the African countries to close down Turkish schools during a visit to Ethiopia last week. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: January 26, 2015

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s bid for the closure of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement in African countries has drawn harsh criticism from various segments of the society, including journalists, artists and politicians.

“In the countries we visit we have been talking about the status of these schools and saying they should be closed down,” Erdoğan was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency during a visit to Ethiopia on Jan 22.

Erdoğan also said he has been telling African authorities that the Turkish Ministry of Education is ready to offer the same service provided by these schools. “The ministry is close to finishing its preparations to that effect,” he said.

Veteran film critic Atilla Dorsay slammed the move to close the schools abroad, which had earned the respect of politicians who have served for the last 25 years.

“Can there be such a thing? Can a politician attempt to demolish a huge cultural and economic investment that originates from his own country’s resources and spreads the word “Turkish” all over the world?” asked Dorsay.

Mehmet Altan, an academic and prominent journalist, told Today’s Zaman on Sunday that foreigners will not be able to make sense of Erdoğan when he says, “Close their schools; we [the government] will open new ones.

“The attempt to destroy an initiative that bring the Turkish language and educational services to the world is not logical or sound” said Altan.

Journalist Mustafa Akyol expressed his objection to the closure of the schools due to the fact that such a move targets a civil initiative.

Likening the badmouthing of the schools to the restrictive practices of the Turkish state in the 1920s, Akyol said anyone who supports democracy and civil society should object to the closure of the schools.

Singer Atilla Taş said the president had made an affront to the image of Turkey by paying high-level visits to countries in order to defame a group and target its initiatives. Taş said even children would laugh at what is being done.

“There are places without schools in Turkey in 2015. If new schools are to be opened, those places should be prioritized,” said Taş.

The editor-in-chief of the Rota Haber news portal told Today’s Zaman on Sunday that the schools along with the founder of the republic Mustafa Kemal Atatürk are the only Turkish brands that are renowned worldwide.

He stressed that the government does not have the authority to close down the schools since they were established by the private initiatives.

Journalist Yavuz Baydar said Turkey is unfortunate in terms of the attitude of its statesmen, who have ordered the destruction of useful things to build new ones according to their wishes.

“Those who assume power in this country refuse to acknowledge the good things that were done before their time and demolish them to do things according to their desires. That is why those who came to power in military coups acted irrationally,” said Baydar.

Politicians say closure of schools a waste

Ufuk Uras, a founder of the Greens and the Left Party of the Future (YSGP), called the campaign against the schools “vandalism” due to the fact that those schools were founded with no small amount of effort.

“If you [the government] want to open schools, there is no need to close down the existing ones. … I don’t find this move to be a proper approach,” said Uras.

Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli has said that Erdoğan humiliated Turkey by going on an official trip to Africa in order to smear the Turkish schools and ask for their closure.

“Those who visit Africa to close down schools and open new ones must first of all take into account their school reports, which show low grades in justice and morality,” said Bahçeli via Twitter on Sunday.

Politician Gürcan Dağdaş lashed out at Erdoğan’s smear campaign of the schools from his Twitter account on Sunday.

“While your envoys were busy holding receptions, the closure of schools in foreign countries, which serve to raise awareness about Turkey, is treason” said Dağdaş.

Independent Ankara deputy Haluk Özdalga defined Erdoğan’s movement as “unfortunate.” He underlined the fact that the schools contribute to the recognition of Turkey in other states.

“We have to see the functions [of these schools] from different perspectives. First of all, they serve to educate young people who will serve their own country and the world. During this process, a young person [in a foreign country] who knows about Turkey is formed. I especially underline the fact that they know about Turkey, because having knowledge about the other is the first step in the friendship and cooperation between countries and nations,” said Özdalga.

CHP Deputy Chairman Mehmet Bekaroğlu argued that the government does not have the authority to request the closure of the schools, as these schools were founded with the initiatives and resources of entrepreneurs.

Bekarloğlu also pointed out that Erdoğan’s accusations against the Gülen movement — which is also known as the Hizmet movement and is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — have no legal basis and there aren’t any ongoing investigations into the movement.

People’s Democratic Party (HDP) Diyarbakır deputy Altan Tan stressed that the state should first focus on issues in its own schools before vowing to open schools abroad.

“I wonder how the state, which is incapable of solving even the issues in Ankara, will be able to open schools in Ethiopia. The number of students in classes is, on average, 50. If African politicians are whys, they should not listen to Erdoğan’s ideas. … I suggest Ethiopia send educators to our country if they can because we are in need of educators too” said Tan.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 25, 2015


Related News

Panel Discussion – The Gulen Schools In Central Asia

Kazakhstan’s President Nursultan Nazarbaev rather quickly defused the problem with Turkey by making a visit to Ankara to meet with President Erdogan. Nazarbaev did not agree to close down the Gulen schools in Kazakhstan, but he did promise to carefully scrutinize those running the schools and those teaching in them.

Educational unions lash out against gov’t-backed school raids

As the witch hunt against government opponents continues to grow, a number of education union representatives have criticized the recent government-backed police raids on private schools and educational institutions that are sympathetic to the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement.

Turkish minister: Gulenists are more dangerous than ISIL because they’re well-educated

Berat Albayrak, Turkish energy minister and son-in-law of President Tayyip Erdoğan, has said at a conference that people affiliated with the Gülen movement are more dangerous than Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants because they’re well educated and have “higher IQs” than his own.

South Korean Superintendents of Education meet with Rainbow International Schools officials

A delegation of South Korean superintendents of education and Rainbow International School operated by Turkish entrepreneurs jointly organized “South Korea-Turkey Educational Partnership Summit.” With the follow-up steps to be taken, the two countries are anticipated to get even closer. The delegation including Seoul’s Superintendent of Education, Moon Yong-rin; Gyeongsan Namdo’s Superintendent of Education and South […]

Why should education in Pakistan be held hostage to the politics of other countries, however brotherly?

If Pakistan does indeed give in to pressure from the Turkish government, the move will be ironic, given the number of madressahs currently operating in the country with established links to political, religious or denominational movements that have a more than suspected record of terrorism, violence and spurious religious indoctrination.

Turkish Islamic preacher – threat or benefactor?

Alexandra Hudson Smiling 11-year olds Serra and Liyna, fellow pupils at the 5,000-pound-a-year Fatih College primary school in Istanbul, chime in similarly confident English that their favourite subject is science and they want to be doctors. (Reuters) – Nine-year-old Burak says his favourite subject is maths, he loves studying and writing in English, and when […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Heartbreaking stories of Turkish Refugees in Greece

Kamel Daoud: Open letter to Erdogan – You’re not welcome in Algeria

Deputy Premier Arinc: We are quite happy of the success of Turkish schools in Yemen

Woman sent to prison on coup charges hours after surgery

Erdoğan’s house of cards

Saudi Scholar: Turkish gov’t must give up ‘terrorist’ slander against Gülen

Interview: U.S. Judge Says Turkey’s Judiciary ‘Taken Over’ By Erdogan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News