Gülen’s lawyer denies Turkish schools working against host nations

A Turkish school in Mali. (Photo: Cihan, Abdülhamit Durmuş)
A Turkish school in Mali. (Photo: Cihan, Abdülhamit Durmuş)


Date posted: November 25, 2014

Lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has categorically rejected claims made by the Turkish president that schools opened by sympathizers of the Gülen movement in Africa are working against host nations.

Last week, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan warned African countries against a “threat” from “dangerous structures that look like nongovernmental organizations or education volunteers,” referring to the volunteers of the Gülen movement, saying that his administration is ready to cooperate with African governments against such structures.

Gülen’s Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak rejected the accusations in a written statement on Tuesday, describing the attacks as “hate speech and discrimination” against Gülen and volunteers of the movement. “It should be known crystal clear that neither Fethullah Gülen nor anyone having sympathy to him has never involved in any illegal activity against Turkey or other countries,” Albayrak stated.

The “parallel structure” is a term invented by Erdoğan to refer to followers of the Gülen movement, particularly followers within the state bureaucracy. He made the elimination of the so-called parallel structure a priority after a major corruption scandal involving people in his inner circle erupted with a wave of detentions on Dec. 17, 2013. The president, who was then prime minister, framed the corruption investigation as a “plot against his government” by the Gülen movement and foreign collaborators.

Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet, have been opened around the world over the past several years, including in many countries in Africa. A charity group that is affiliated with the movement, Kimse Yok Mu, was also active on the continent until its license to collect donations was rescinded in Turkey, apparently as part of the government’s fight against the “parallel structure.” The Council of State halted the decision this week.

“We hope that heads of state and government will be more alert regarding these organizations, which create clandestine structures in every country they operate in and whose spying activities have lately become more visible,” Erdoğan said at the 2nd Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit in the capital of Equatorial Guinea, Malabo.

The lawyer said it is impossible to justify such “illogical” statements with democracy and universal values, adding that participants of the Gülen movement, with their contributions to trade and educational activities between Turkey and host nations gained the sympathy of the countries they are located. Gülen’s lawyer challenged Erdoğan to prove his claims. He said allegations against Gülen movement’s education and relief activities are not only true, but also libelious.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 25, 2014


Related News

Unimpressed by Turkish ‘parallel structure’ defense, MEPs approve critical report

A EP committee has approved a report on Turkey that criticizes the government’s handling of a corruption investigation, despite a last-minute letter from the Turkish government claiming that a set of controversial measures taken in the wake of the probe were designed to fight a “parallel structure” within the state.

Kimse Yok Mu gears up to assist Malian refugees

Kimse Yok Mu continues its help to Malians left homeless in the ongoing civil war around the country. Donations delivered to the country are ready to be distributed. Building bridges between philanthropists and the needy, Kimse Yok Mu has once again taken action to aid war-stricken people of Mali. The association, which has delivered donations […]

‘Alliance with PKK’ claims latest conspiracy against Gülen movement

News reports trying to create a perception that the faith-based Gülen movement is cooperating with the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) are ill-intentioned, according to Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s lawyer, Orhan Erdemli. In a statement he released on Gülen’s website, www.tr.fgulen.com, on Monday, Erdemli pointed out that certain media outlets’ “incriminating” attitude toward his client […]

What’s not to love in this coup?

Up until yesterday, those who were dying to get a good seat in the “Turkish Olympiads”, now shamelessly intimidate the Turkish Olympiads organizers by saying “you think you have grown into a man by making two African and three Asian kids recite a Turkish a song.”

Government drags military into politics

There are now serious question marks over whether the government orchestrated the operations at TİB to libel Hizmet for wiretapping with the aim of diverting attention from the separate spying case under way in Ankara and saving those uniformed men from facing judicial scrutiny over charges of spying.

Astana says Gulen-linked schools to remain

The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan said in a statement on July 30 that the Turkish schools linked to Fetullah Gülen, who allegedly led failed coup attempt in Turkey according to the President Erdogan, will remain on the territory of the Central Asian nation. The statement followed the Friday warning of Turkey’s ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Comments on Turkey coup attempt by Prof. John Whyte

Desmond Tutu commends Gulen inspired organization

Kimse Yok Mu awaiting permission from governor’s office to help martyrs’ families

PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful

The fall of democracy and predicament of political Islam in Turkey

Ruling AKP officials downplay tension with Gülen movement

Ongoing tussle: Students, parents protest closure of Pak-Turk School in Khairpur

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News